Add sleeper windows in Freightliner.

jenandjon

This is just an idea. Stop my a glass shop and see what they would say. I think there is a couple different sealants out there for windshields.

One more think. Nice work.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

pC3KP3kl.jpg

Got a hole cut and test fit. Got it mocked up on the inside. Looks like everything is going to fit like its suppose to. Now I have to figure out what to use for a sealer and get it together. It first I thought I might use the stuff they use on windshields. But if that window ever broke you would never get it out.

The black gooey stuff they use to seal roped in windshields would work. It’s quite similar to the gray butyl caulk the RV builders use, just black.

If you are talking about the urethane windshield adhesive, I wouldn’t use it if you have all the trim rings that clamp the window in. You are right the only way to get that stuff to let go is to cut the window out. That’s how mine are installed, just glued in from the outside. The urethane adhesive is fairly expensive, and requires proper prep to adhere correctly.

Just a thought, the RV butyl tape is very similar to the tape they use on grain bins...

Ya I use the 3M Window Weld butyl tape rolls on the flange to put em in.  Right or wrong I dunno, but I don't use the spacers in the box and I kinda pre-flatten the bead with an ice cube.  Join the bead at the bottom and run the two side by side for a few inches - not overlapped or the window sets fat at the bottom.  The caulk gun style butyl might work better for a more custom more squishy bead but I got banned from that.  That goo gets everywhere forever! 

That's on newly painted truck in a warm shop though.  Oxidized paint done outside probably needs a hair dryer and I imagine should use the black window weld primer that the urethane type uses.  Don't drip or primer out too wide!

All done. Used 3M butyl tape as a sealer. Seems to have worked well. I found out that when you put on the final trim piece on the inside just snug the screws. If you tighten them too tight they will pull through the plastic.

XFoH0P6l.jpg

yZeBIykl.jpg

C7LjoaVl.jpg

9fR7kt0l.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Nice job.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks guys. I was pretty nervous cutting holes in my cab but it wasn't has hard as I made it out to be.  My boys love it they are excited. No more missing the scenery. I am amazed how much light comes in that small of a window and I haven't even had it outside in the sunlight yet. Now I just have to do the other side.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

That 3M tape is where it's at. I zoned on that flavour of putty tape, but you won't regret using it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The windows will also help with seeing out for driving at odd angles. Such as in

parking lots or maneuvering in camp grounds.

I waited 10 years to do ours. Wife did not want the windows, but I showed up one day with two from a Motorhome.

Now it would be a must have for another truck.

So you will like them when driving. 

Nice job,   Vern

16 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Al, trust me I’m not nervous about cutting a hole in the side of your truck or Jon’s. 

Hey Roger, now that doesn't surprise me !  lol.     Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "