Add sleeper windows in Freightliner.

jenandjon

Its time to add some windows in the sleeper. Kids cant see out. They missed a lot of beautiful country on our trip out to the West Coast Rally.

I called Vander Haag's in Sioux Falls all they have is 2 right hand windows. After some discussion and looking at several pictures it was agreed that both right and left are interchangeable. So, I ordered 2 right hand Freightliner sleeper windows. They are just going to cut the window out and give me a chunk of the sleeper. So when I remove it I will know how it all goes back together.  I fully intend on doing this myself. However I have a friend that does body work on semi trucks. It might end up going to him. My budget is no budget. The more money I spend on this the less we have to spend on our trip coming up this summer. I am going to have to take my time and do it right.

I pick the windows up on Saturday. I wont be starting this project until after the first of the year. That gives me time to decide am I doing it myself or taking it in. I was told by the body shop that the stiffeners should already be in the wall of the sleeper. Its a matter of cutting the hole and and getting everything lined up.  I have to peel back the interior and see if in fact they are there. If I have to wield in pieces to stiffen it up I will be taking it in for sure because I don't have an aluminum welder.

This is one of the windows I have ordered.

Nc5OuJ7l.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

If you are putting it into the same model truck, then there should be no reinforcement there that will interfere. If you are putting it into something different it will be a toss-up. Make sure that you do reinforce the cab if you are forced to cut out any bridging. You can use adhesive if you use the right thing.  Good luck - it is not as hard as you think. IMO the hardest part is trimming out the interior properly.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree with Jack that the interior work is the hardest part.  Those look like standard RV style windows, probably just clamped to the wall by the trim ring and sealed with butyl tape.

When I did the windows in my Volvo, I made an interior filler ring out of wood and MDF, glued it to the inside of the wall with windshield urethane, and glued the window to the out side with the same. I ended up making new interior wall panels due to all the holes that were left when I took out the cabinets and such.

DRW3H7Cl.jpg

Xljrvlbl.jpg

nQgQnhBl.jpg

Cutting the holes in the wall was a bit nerve wracking, just making sure it was right on the first try. I used a HF air nibbler to cut the wall out.

I added windows to my 635 using Fliner sleeper windows. They have a nice finished trip ring inside, but I had to make a "filler" for the gap. Pic available. Yours look great!

One note- see where the drain holes are in the window slide channel. I turned mine 90 deg, so had to drill small holes for them to drain. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I have a 99 Century and when i stripped the condo sleeper,  the framework for the window was there.   Had a good pic for you but tried to put in a second pic and now i can't get either pic to show up!  Anyway,  should be easy if they are freightliner windows.   It's on my to do list for the winter to, just don't have the windows yet..

11 hours ago, Fire guy said:

I have a 99 Century and when i stripped the condo sleeper,  the framework for the window was there.   Had a good pic for you but tried to put in a second pic and now i can't get either pic to show up!  Anyway,  should be easy if they are freightliner windows.   It's on my to do list for the winter to, just don't have the windows yet..

That is good to know, thanks. I got my windows used for $100 a piece.

Its a good thing I went out into the yard when I picked up my windows. There is another inside frame you will need. It is riveted to the inside of the cab. The inside trim piece screws to it. I will get pictures today and post them later.

Fire Guy I am glad you posted this picture of yours gutted. I would never have known that piece was missing from our trucks.

Edited by jenandjon

Here are the pictures of the parts. The window frame is 2 pieces that screw together to hold the window in place. The large aluminum piece is to screw the inside plastic trim piece to. You do not need that to hold in the window.

This will be fine on my passenger side. I can easily remove the factory interior and put this bracket in.

Not so easy on my driver side. I might have to do something different with my interior. I built and installed a large wooden cabinet to hold the fridge and microwave. I had to use some persuasion to get it in there. As in a 5lb sledge and block of wood. I would have to remove the cabinet in order to remove the factory interior. Not happening.  No sense in worrying about that until the time comes. I will do the easy side first.

nkLbsDol.jpg

iSzCxVhl.jpg

N86q2wGl.jpg

3 hours ago, Fire guy said:

That's good to know.   The more i thought about it after i posted that pick i began to think that the framework that is there looked more like it would fit the sleeper doors and was a bit too big for just the windows. 

No I found one with a sleeper door in it at the salvage yard. The framework was way different.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the interior out. Found this support plate in there. I traced out the bracket where the interior trim needs to go. I'm just going to cut that out rather than remove the whole plate.

0SI9Giql.jpg

Edited by jenandjon

That won't work, Jon. The window trim will interfere with the remains of the support bracket. I think. Check how the trim installs before you get too far in.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That won't work, Jon. The window trim will interfere with the remains of the support bracket. I think. Check how the trim installs before you get too far in.

You mean the vertical piece? I trimmed that out too. I'm all ready to cut the big hole. I will be doing that right after Christmas.

Oh yea, I think I'm good there. See the lines I traced. I held the new bracket up and traced it. Inside and outside. Then I cut it out between the lines. Not pretty but it will be hidden in the wall. Should be good. If not I will cut more out. I'm going to cut the exterior hole too small the first time so I have some wiggle room. Allowing me to line everything up inside and out.

pC3KP3kl.jpg

Got a hole cut and test fit. Got it mocked up on the inside. Looks like everything is going to fit like its suppose to. Now I have to figure out what to use for a sealer and get it together. It first I thought I might use the stuff they use on windshields. But if that window ever broke you would never get it out.