Induction burner cookware

sandsys

The woman who posted about this cookware says she has had hers 10 years and it's still going strong.

cookware link

I wish I'd known about this set when I had an induction burner in my van. Much easier shopping than taking my magnet to the store and testing every set there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I shopped my pots and pans at Olly's and other overstock stores. I have a small magnet on my key ring. Really, it is not that much trouble. But that seems a nice set. I would expect it to be some light weight stuff based on the price for so many pans. I have one skillet and one saucepan and a kettle  that I use regularly. A few others sit and gather dust.

47 minutes ago, Sehc said:

I would expect it to be some light weight stuff based on the price for so many pans.

You'd think so but the poster has been using hers for ten years so it must be sturdy.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

With all due respect, these days most cookware is marked as to its ability to work with induction--no magnet required.  There's no particular reason to use the link the OP provided; there are lots of alternatives. 

FWIW if you want cookware you can pass along to the next generation, I suggest you purchase AllClad.  It's very pricey but it will last forever and it's even US made.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

If it works well, why pay more?

Most induction burners have an "active area" that is only about 4" in diameter.  When you use pots larger in diameter than the active area it's important that they conduct heat well enough to minimize any temperature differential from the center to the outer edge.  Most better stainless steel cookware usually has a layer of copper or aluminum sandwiched between layers of steel to aid with heat distribution.    I know that some people like to use cast iron with induction burners but I would think that could result in significant center to edge temperature differences.

AllClad has been a leader in bonded layer cookware; there are quite a few others available these days.  I'm not justifying what AllClad charges.  I'm only saying the their cookware cooks very well and lasts forever.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I did look at AllClad. Way above my income. Shopping at Olly's I have found the better grade of stainless Farberware and KitchenAid at an attractive price, inductive tested with my magnet. I bought a Cuisnart non-stick even though it failed the magnet. It is used on my butane stove. It is the best non-stick I have ever used.

20 hours ago, docj said:

Most better stainless steel cookware usually has a layer of copper or aluminum sandwiched between layers of steel to aid with heat distribution.   

From the link I posted, "Designed for quick and even heat distribution, the impact-bonded tri-ply base (THE BOTTOM) consists of (CONSTRUCTED WITH) 18/10 stainless steel, an aluminum core, and magnetic STAINLESS STEEL "

Linda Sand

• 1 year later...

I don't know if carrying a small magnet is the best way to go around it lol. I think they have these cookware labelled as 'induction compatible' or 'induction ready'. That makes it easier to differentiate. The best bet for all RV cooking according me are those non-stick variants (i like the ones they've picked here) that still work with an induction cooktop. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I’m planning a single energy source camper build - likely electricity - 

What do I need to know about induction cookin?

Induction cooking is fast and clean but you need pans that respond to magnets. I like that the burner itself never gets hot so you don't have to worry about it when not actually cooking. You can't sit anything on a standard electric stove even a few minutes after it's turned off without melting/burning it. Our downstairs neighbor caused a fire by setting a cardboard box on a smooth top electric stove that was supposedly off.

Linda Sand

I bought a set of Cusinart at Bed Bath and Beyond. Can’t remember what I paid, about $100. It said right on the box induction compatible. Have used them 4 years now. Except for the frying pan they are all still in good condition. The frying pan needs to be replaced but that’s my fault for overcooking bacon several times. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

If you are near an IKEA store, they label their cookware if it's induction compatible. Nice not having to haul a magnet around with you. As induction has become more popular it might be that more manufacturers are adding that to their labels. I haven't looked since 2011. :)

Linda

All induction cookware will have this symbol, but we always carry a small magnet JIC. DW bought T-fal pots N pans for the MH and house.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Ae8GBBpVWer6Xaqqf5lLSAHaBt%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, noteven said:

I’m planning a single energy source camper build - likely electricity - 

What do I need to know about induction cookin?

You need to know why you haven't really tried it before. 

In the 1990's I rented a house with an induction cook top. Of course I didn't have anything magnetic to cook with so I relied on my roommates stuff which was not all that good, or clean. Hated it. 

Fast forward to the 20teens and picking up a induction hot plate with money I could not otherwise use at a Camping World. Planned to give it away but started using it with my cast iron skillet and then some of my other apparently magnetic pans and I was sold. No excess heat caused by an open flame under the pans, instant control was still there like you would see with adjusting the flame. Sure you can't immediately see the change in flame, but the speed in which the increase or decrease occurs is just as fast. Not true with an electric resistance coil that takes forever to cool down and almost as long to heat up. You won't be disappointed, unless your inverter or off grid power supply isn't up to the task. My 3000 watt inverter should be find, except it's a modified sine wave and not a pure sine. The cook tops do not like that apparently. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a totally electric home with a huge battery bank and the proper inverters. Trying to retrofit will be twice as expensive. It will be done, but not today. 

Rod  

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I've been using this Fagor set for 10 years.  My ex-wife bought it at Camping World for it's nesting qualities, it just also happens to be induction compatable.  Too bad it's no longer available, the stacked set stores nicely in the RV's oven and comes out as a single piece when I want to use the oven.  It works great with the induction hotplate I have now and the thick base creates even heat distribution on the gas stovetop.
http://popupbackpacker.com/camping/fagor-cookware/

Edited by Lou Schneider

• 2 years later...

Continuing to learn about the induction cooking. 

On a whim yesterday I had a large steel can that had more of the product in it than I thought I would consume. Decided to empty part of into a plastic container and set the remaining on the induction cooktop while I placed the to be used later container. (Unfortunately have forgotten I'd put something in a container, sealed it up and then left it on the counter one too many times. I now put it away before I start the cooking process). 

Anyway, I though 'he turn the cooktop on very low and see what happens'.  I now know it was just as i expected. The area where the food was in the can became warm, the area above there stayed cool enough to handle and a short increase in power heated the food to my satisfaction under my watchful eye. The bonus, just have to rinse and recycle, that may include using it again for the prior portioned stuff in the fridge. 

Rod

ps, the magnet stuck. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

I am building a new off grid place and will use a solar powered  induction stove. This will be my first introduction to induction cooking. Building enough solar to provide enough power during December and January requires a large system. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

I am building a new off grid place and will use a solar powered  induction stove. This will be my first introduction to induction cooking. Building enough solar to provide enough power during December and January requires a large system. 

For sure, especially if you also want to use some of the electricity to heat other things too. I haven't tried it yet, but I think my new PSW inverter would power the induction cook plate just fine. I know my Honda 2000 gas inverter does fine, but it's just 110/120 volt. 

I talked to someone at the OKC Home Show last weekend and may go look at a replacement Cooktop. I have a Gas cooktop that hasn't been used very much at all in my home.  They reported their least expensive was under 1K, which is close to my budget. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 12/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, sandsys said:

The woman who posted about this cookware says she has had hers 10 years and it's still going strong.

cookware link

I wish I'd known about this set when I had an induction burner in my van. Much easier shopping than taking my magnet to the store and testing every set there.

Linda Sand

They are SST, BUT, they have a ferrous iron bottom clad with SST. The only difference of others is, they are aluminum-clad ferrous iron.  True SST is not magnetic.

One downside to SST cookware is it isn't non-stick. I bought a set when I was living alone, I think I scrubbed more pots N pans than I did the rest of my life.

I prefer cast iron, but it has downsides that offset the benefits.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

True SST is not magnetic.

That is not entirely true as it depends on the type of stainless steel. For example, 430 stainless is magnetic while 304 or 316 stainless is not magnetic yet all of them are "true" stainless. My father-in-law who was a master machinist once tried  to explain the differences of all the different stainless steel compositions. I know I must have given him the deer in the headlights look. I do remember in his job he mostly used the 304 or 316 because the machinery they fabricated was used in a caustic environment and those blends had a higher resistance to corrosion. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

16 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I prefer cast iron

Cast iron works well on an induction burner. Since most people simply wipe out a cast iron skillet with paper towels instead of washing it, this is good for boondockers. Yes an induction burner requires electricity but since they use energy efficiently most boondockers have enough solar panels for that to not be a problem.

Linda

On 1/24/2024 at 10:02 PM, Chalkie said:

That is not entirely true as it depends on the type of stainless steel. For example, 430 stainless is magnetic while 304 or 316 stainless is not magnetic yet all of them are "true" stainless. My father-in-law who was a master machinist once tried  to explain the differences of all the different stainless steel compositions. I know I must have given him the deer in the headlights look. I do remember in his job he mostly used the 304 or 316 because the machinery they fabricated was used in a caustic environment and those blends had a higher resistance to corrosion. 

You're right of course, but the SST pans that are magnetic is the cheaper grades containing carbon, and thus will rust/corrode over time. While on the subject, SST knives are not a good choice, it will not sharpen or hold a sharp edge nearly as well as heat-treated high-carbon steel.

(retired tool N die maker)

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

While on the subject, SST knives are not a good choice, it will not sharpen or hold a sharp edge nearly as well as heat-treated high-carbon steel.

Absolutely! Our kitchen knives, while being the magnetic stainless 😁 are NSF certified, but they are terrible for keeping sharp. I am constantly having to hit them with the knife sharpener it seems.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg