Front Axle Maintenance

brunsje

Folks,

My Cascadia has 56,000 miles.  It goes to me local Freightliner dealer every year for its annual service.

While cleaning my wheels, I noted that the oil level was low on both sides of my front axle shafts.

I know nothing about this particular area.

1.  What is this called?

2.  It appears the oil level should be 1/2 full, is this correct?

3.  What type of lubricant do I add?

4.  What purpose does this serve?

Thanks, JohnnyB

IMG_1719.jpg

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

2 minutes ago, brunsje said:

Folks,

My Cascadia has 56,000 miles.  It goes to me local Freightliner dealer every year for its annual service.

While cleaning my wheels, I noted that the oil level was low on both sides of my front axle shafts.

I know nothing about this particular area.

1.  What is this called?

2.  It appears the oil level should be 1/2 full, is this correct?

3.  What type of lubricant do I add?

4.  What purpose does this serve?

Thanks, JohnnyB

IMG_1719.jpg

The oil level is at the proper level, it's at the line under the green plug in the end of the cap. The oil lubes the bearings.

GCTaaehl.jpg

It looks to me like the clear portion of the cap has print indicating the correct level.  I think it would show correctly if you rotate the wheel so the fill port is at the top.  

I think it's called an "oil bath hub".  The purpose of this "reservoir", is to bathe the wheel bearings in oil.  They usually take 80w-90 gear oil.

It looks like Tom types faster than I.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, brunsje said:

It appears to require the oil at 1/2 way.

I would do a little more research before I did that. The hub in the picture appears good. If you over fill them they will leak out the vent hole and get oil on your wheels, brakes well everywhere.

One big thing never get in a hurry it takes a long time for the oil to move and settle.

Bill  

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

21 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It looks to me like the clear portion of the cap has print indicating the correct level.  I think it would show correctly if you rotate the wheel so the fill port is at the top.  

I think it's called an "oil bath hub".  The purpose of this "reservoir", is to bathe the wheel bearings in oil.  They usually take 80w-90 gear oil.

It looks like Tom types faster than I.

X2 what Rickeio said.  I just changed both front bearings and races and filled the hubs with 75w 90 full synthetic.  You might want to check your bearings by having the front end jacked up and spinning the wheels.  I heard a roaring noise from my front right wheel but couldn't tell it when driving it.  So I changed out both sides.

You guys are absolutely correct.  I should just have a bit visible in the bottom.  There are 2 rings showing max and min.

Are the rear axle hubs the same as the front hubs?  Or are they sealed bearings?

JohnnyB

Jacksonville Beach, FL

36 minutes ago, geodog said:

The rear axle wheel bearings are lubed with differential grease. This should be checked by removing a plug on the differential cover and checking for lubricant with your index finger. Most lube shops will check thin during a routine lubr job.

ShortyO

The rear hubs on "most" big trucks, have oil bath bearings similar to the front.     The rear hubs don't have a window to check the oil level, they do however require gear oil directly at the hub.     On the rear, excess oil would find its way down the axle tube generally.      Most rear hubs hold about a pint of oil.   

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Somewhere on the differential housing, off center and also below center, you'll find a plug.  It's normally on the back, but not always. Usually it has a 1/2" square depression into which you install a 1/2" drive ratchet handle or breaker bar.  Poke a finger in there and see where the level might be. The oil level should be just to the bottom of the hole with the truck sitting level.  Don't sweat it if it's a 1/4" low.  This level lets the oil slosh back and forth to/from the wheel bearing out at the ends, assuring it gets "exchanged" a bit.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Thanks again.  It appears to this novice, based on the knowledge in this post, that the front axle bearings are a higher priority to routinely check that the rears.  And the fronts have a more severe reaction if neglected.

You folks are awesome.

JohnnyB

Jacksonville Beach, FL

I wouldn't say that...

If you see any streaking of oil on either the back side or front side of the wheel/tire, you know you have an issue.  You should be checking for any leakage on your steers and drives during your pre-trip inspection.

And Rick, it's not that I type faster than you, it's just that I'm younger than you.   😉

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

8 hours ago, spindrift said:

And Rick, it's not that I type faster than you, it's just that I'm younger than you.   😉

Correct, but not by much.  Hurry up and retire so we can go play.

Besides, it's hard to type when you have Shrek fingers.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN