Tire Stems and TPMS

Dlvgolf

When I post, I always feel like I’m at a meeting, “ Hi, my name is Dave and I’m a newbie. I’ve been RV’ing for 1 week...”.  Any way, today’s adventure is installing a TPMS system on my RV and tow vehicle. 10 tires in all. I bought the TST pass through system. I’m familiar with 3rd party TPMS, as I have them on my motorcycle. Programming of the 10 sensors went fine. Installation was where I found the challenge. I’ve never had a vehicle with dual back tires, so I had no idea how the stems worked. I expected one to come out to the outside and the other the inside. I was so wrong. On my vehicle, The inside tire stem has a flexible extension on it and it comes through the outside tire rim. Very convenient. However the outside tire stem can be seen under the rim pointing toward the inside tire. I’ve attached a picture. My questions are, how do you even get a tire gauge on that tire stem to get the air pressure, let alone attach a TPMS monitor to it? Is this the standard configuration for dual tires or are mine out of whack? 

0EC015B7-8C4D-4165-8348-B4DAF3D370CB.jpeg

D7643146-B3DB-44EA-875D-05150728A53D.jpeg

Edited by Dlvgolf
Fixed typos

Welcome to Escapees.com discussion forums!

That stem positioning is unusual, but not unheard of; There are stem extensions sold to enable you to adjust air pressure, they even have 180° extensions but I doubt you'll require them. That is not the only company selling these, shop around for the best pricing.

These are not the ideal situation, as they add another possible air leak to the arrangement, and allow the pressure monitor to move/vibrate more, which weakens the valve stem.

When you have the opportunity, have permanent valve stems with the correct bend in them+ stabilizer grommets, to point outward, they are expensive and well worth the money IMO.

Please do not hesitate to ask any question, that's how people learn,  everyone here was a beginner at one point.

Edited by Ray,IN
lapse of memory

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My questions are, how do you even get a tire gauge on that tire stem to get the air pressure,Dually air chucks

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

8 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Wrong forum! ;)

Thanks for the catch! My fault for attempting to do 3 things at once.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I recommend looking for a dealer (auto/rv service tech) familiar with RVs who can install permanent valve stems that come out of the wheel cover for easy access. It takes some doing...many Ford dealers have no idea how to do it! We found Kremer Services in Inver Grove Heights MN who was familiar with the process and ordered the parts. Now checking tire pressure is a breeze.

Not happy with our $500+ Tiretracker system. Sensors fall off the radar. Sensors give inaccurate readings. The display terminal inside the RV doesn't sound an alarm if a tire is suddenly deflated. (tested it). They have a lifetime warranty so we have to pack it up and send it back to them. Junk as far as I am concerned.

AVOID THIS COMPANY:

https://www.tiretraker.com/

On 11/27/2019 at 1:07 PM, Ray,IN said:

Welcome to Escapees.com discussion forums!

That stem positioning is unusual, but not unheard of; There are stem extensions sold to enable you to adjust air pressure, they even have 180° extensions but I doubt you'll require them. That is not the only company selling these, shop around for the best pricing.

These are not the ideal situation, as they add another possible air leak to the arrangement, and allow the pressure monitor to move/vibrate more, which weakens the valve stem.

When you have the opportunity, have permanent valve stems with the correct bend in them+ stabilizer grommets, to point outward, they are expensive and well worth the money IMO.

Please do not hesitate to ask any question, that's how people learn,  everyone here was a beginner at one point.

Thank you!