My Big Truck

ms60ocb

Yesterday I had an unexpected experience. I'm in East Memphis a short distance my campground. I was slowing to exit I-240 and the braking didn't feel right, Tried the brakes again and realized no trailer brakes. ( I had in the past tested the truck without the trailer brakes and knew I still had control but longer stopping distance). I still had trailer lights. That is when I realized the brake controller had dropped down allowing me to step on it when applying my foot to throttle.
A small bolt has loosened allowing the controller to drop. Just glad I didn't have to make a panic stop on the rain slick highway.
 (of course a built in brake controller may have prevented this failure but my previous TV needed all braking to stay in control)
On more vote for the Feightliner M2-106 or larger truck as stopping is more important than pulling.
Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I have had a similar experience.  I left the coast where we were camping to return to our home last year.  It is about a 2 hour drive of mostly two lane, winding road along with a climb and decent over a small pass.  When I got home and backed my 5er (approximately 20000 lbs) into my shop and got out to unhook, I noticed a bunch of crud on the stabilizer jack behind the door side rear tire.  Upon further inspection, I discovered the crud was brake fluid and accumulated dirt from the drive home.  Somewhere on my route, the brake line sheared off at the caliper on the 5er and I completely lost trailer brakes.  I had no idea I had lost the trailer brakes because my HDT tow vehicle could easily handle the weight of my trailer regardless of whether it had brakes or not.  It was very comforting to know the truck could "handle" the trailer no matter what. 

I used to tow a 15000 lb 5er with a Duramax dually along the same route regularly.  I lost trailer brakes due to a faulty umbilical connection a couple of times and I could definitely tell the trailer had no brakes and it made me pucker a bit with that set up.  I will never go back to towing with anything smaller than my HDT.  It is definitely not about what it can pull, it is about what it can stop (for me anyway).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Ho-hum, here I go, preaching to the choir.

I've lost trailer brakes too many times. (once is too many...)  Broken wire under the trailer, dislodged trailer cord, faulty ground, outright brake controller failure, etc.  While these events are inconvenient when towing with "enough truck", they're probably not dangerous.

My quest for "more truck" started when we were pulling a pop-up with a srw F-250.  The trailer brakes were junk, and going down Wolf Creek Pass I had both feet on the brake pedal.  Wife and kids didn't know until we were stopped.

Certainly not all trailers justify a HDT.  But why tow without a safety margin for when things go wrong?  Too much truck is about right.😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My 3 axle toyhauler has pretty decent brakes as rv’s go. The Maxbrake controller waited till a long CA downgrade, in the dark, to crater. The retarded brake on the little Cummins and 6 speed I shift it in the won ton held pretty good, saving the truck binders for the curves. 
Oh and I have that truck driver (even though I aren’t one) habit of not starting down a grade at Mach chicken...

Thought the air line oh sorry I mean little wire had disconnected - nope - Maxbrake controller finished.

So I bought a Tekonsha jerk a matic the next morning  ...they are quite a thing too when you are used to proportional trailer braking 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.