Tires

SuiteSuccess

Follow up on an earlier post about alignment on MorRyde IS on my 5er.  Appointment for alignment in couple of weeks.  (Waiting on shims from MorRyde).  Tire shop says my scalloped G114 would be okay as a spare.  My present spare will go on the ground after the alignment.  After much thought my present plan is to purchase a Sailun 637 from Amazon for $170 (great deal) and keep it as the spare and scrap the scalloped tire. My question:  My G114s are 215/75/R17.5 (3 yrs old) and my thought is I should get the same size in the Sailun however I can also get a 235/75/R17.5 for the same price and it can carry more weight but is slightly larger by about 1”.  My future plan is to replace the G114s in the next few years with the 235 for more weight carrying capacity.  Would I cause any problems using the 235 as the spare until I could get somewhere to get a new 215?  I’m hoping it would never be used until I replace all tires.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I replaced my tires with the next larger size and kept one old one for the spair as it was much newer. Many cars come with different size spares, the only possible problem would be if you are over loading the spare because of the new bigger tires. Of course you are supposed to have the same tire on the same axle. So dont try to get it inspected that way.

Carl, I can't envision any problems arising from using a 235 as a spare. As long as you have clearance between the tires and the increased ride height of the camper would not be a problem, I would be inclined to use the 235 as a spare. I listened to the conventional wisdom that 215 17.5's were the direct replacement for 235 16's when I ordered 215 17.5's for my Cambridge and found out that they are actually a smaller diameter than 235 16's. If I had done my own research I would have known this and I would have gone with the 235 17.5's. I am really very happy with my 215 Sailuns and they are probably the tire size I need after replacing my axles with 8k Dexter axles that now sit under the springs. My old axles were mounted above the springs so the new axles gave the Cambridge a "lift". 

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Have one other question after more research.  Says recommended rim size for Sailun 215/75/R17.5 is 6 inches while G114 is 6.75 inches.  Could the 215 Sailun be mounted on my 6.75 rim?  or is this another reason to go with the 235?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, you need a GOOD tire on the trailer for the camber adjustment (toe in is slightly affected also). Personal opinion is to keep all tires matched if at all possible but the 235 could be used as a spare if you plan on replacing all of the tires with 235's on the future.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Have one other question after more research.  Says recommended rim size for Sailun 215/75/R17.5 is 6 inches while G114 is 6.75 inches.  Could the 215 Sailun be mounted on my 6.75 rim?  or is this another reason to go with the 235?

When I went with our 215/75R17.5 Sailuns, we ran into the same issue on the rim size and we checked with someone either Sailun or the dealer selling the tires and there was no issue with the larger rim width.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

10 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

When I went with our 215/75R17.5 Sailuns, we ran into the same issue on the rim size and we checked with someone either Sailun or the dealer selling the tires and there was no issue with the larger rim width.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 11/27/2019 at 7:19 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks Dave.

Here is the email response from Sailun:

Dave, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun tires. I checked with our engineering group and the 6.75” wheel width is allowable for the 215/75R17.5 Sailun S637.

Best regards,
Al Eagleson, Segment Manager, Commercial Tires

Sent from my iPhone

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

41 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Here is the email response from Sailun:

Dave, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun tires. I checked with our engineering group and the 6.75” wheel width is allowable for the 215/75R17.5 Sailun S637.

Best regards,
Al Eagleson, Segment Manager, Commercial Tires

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks again.  Happy Thanksgiving.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, bigredhdt said:

They are hard to get on the 6.75 in rims.  I think these were designed for dually rims.  Also I have not have had good luck with them having had 3 below out.  I check pressure every time before I go out.

The 215/75/17.5 or the 235/75/17.5?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

You be the judge if this is relevant. I bought Sailun S637 235/78R16 ST tires for our 5er some years ago, they turned out to be larger in diameter than the Cooper's of the same size; so much so I had to have the rear axle moved rearward by 3", as there was  3/4" between the Sailuns when mounted on the 5er. When they got hot(I was told) they could "grow" in diameter by as much as 1/2" per tire when at speed. BTW a HDT repair and tire shop in Chamberlain, SD is the source of my information.

You may want to verify this yourself, it's your money you''re spending.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just some follow up.  Thanks to my good friend GeorgiaHybrid was able to get my MorRyde IS alignment done at Diesel Plus in Ringgold Ga right outside Chattanooga.  David and I “supervised “ the whole process and let me say those guys were great.  They have a Hunter trailer alignment system which hooks to the kingpin and it was fascinating to watch how it worked.  The IS system is a bear to get in specs.  Requires special shims I ordered from MorRyde and a chain “come along” for the toe in.  The spec range is in hundredths of a degree which took a lot of time and patience for camber and toe in. I was the second MorRyde they have done but they are willing to do more and in fact may petition MorRyde as a certified service center.  Price was extremely reasonable seeing how it took close to 5 hours. Pulling back to Knoxville was a dream, I couldn’t believe the difference.  Trailer stayed perfectly in line behind the truck.  Before I had always had a little tail wagging.  The truck itself tracked much better on the road probably due to elimination of the trailer forces on the rear.  Was amazed in my two year old trailer how far the alignment was out.  Don’t know if DRV or MorRyde even attempts an alignment before they put these trailers on the road?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Don’t know if DRV or MorRyde even attempts an alignment before they put these trailers on the road?

It is my understanding that each DRV unit is taken to MorRyde for alignment. I returned to MorRyde for an alignment in 2017 and 4 or 5 unpainted DRV's were setting in the parking lot.

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

1 hour ago, ms60ocb said:

It is my understanding that each DRV unit is taken to MorRyde for alignment. I returned to MorRyde for an alignment in 2017 and 4 or 5 unpainted DRV's were setting in the parking lot.

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3

When the alignment spec range is in hundredths of a degree, I think that MorRyde might get it "close enough" and let it rip. It takes time and effort to get all 4 (or 6) tires aligned. It gets down to the point that if you see it move, you went too far. Both of the trailers we have had aligned were never moved from factory specs and mine didn't have the first shim for camber and the toe in was way off on 3 of the 4 tires and out a little on the fourth one. I replaced the shocks and tires before the alignment and there was a big difference in how it towed.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime