Domicile Decisions

Bossgator

20 minutes ago, Blues said:

She's doing informed preventive care, weighing the upsides and downsides to her.  Just because it's not something you would do doesn't make it an invalid choice.

I know, that's was my point.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I know, that's was my point.   

No it wasn't.  Let's review.  You first said:

On 11/28/2019 at 10:54 PM, Barbaraok said:

to NOT have at least an annual checkup as one ages is really dumb.    

When presented with the notion that it's possible for individual to make informed choices about whether to have various screenings, you didn't say, "Good point--I didn't think of that."  Instead, what you said was:

On 12/5/2019 at 10:51 AM, Barbaraok said:

Yes, I will say that as they age if they don't get at least annual checkups they are dumb.  

14 minutes ago, Blues said:

No it wasn't.  Let's review.  You first said:

When presented with the notion that it's possible for individual to make informed choices about whether to have various screenings, you didn't say, "Good point--I didn't think of that."  Instead, what you said was:

She is having annual checkups.   I will stand by my statement that not having at least an annual checkup is dumb, especially after 40.   I don't know any woman who doesn't have her annual mammograms/Pap smears or something similar done.    And I know that men like to think they are indestructible, but news flash, they aren't.         Linda said that she and her health care provider decided that annual mammograms didn't make sense for her, so they do monthly checks, etc., which is all part of sound practice for everyone.  And I am still waiting for this list of horrendous, invasive annual tests that everyone is having done. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Linda said that she and her health care provider decided that annual mammograms didn't make sense for her, so they do monthly checks, etc., which is all part of sound practice for everyone.

You misinterpreted once again. My doctor is not fond of my decision to not have annual mammograms. And those manual checks are not even close to being monthly. She did say a few years back that I no longer need to do pap smears. But, she's not fond of my decision to not do colonoscopies after the first one either. My body; my decisions.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If your first colonoscopy was negative they only have to be done once every 10 years until you are 80.   So maybe 3 during your lifetime depending upon age when first one done.   And prep has gotten so much better.

Didn't you say you were doing monthly self-checks and had discussed it with your provider?   I didn't say that your provider suggested it, but you and your provider discussed and set up what you do.   Yes, your body your decisions, but you are getting information in order to understand the implication of your decisions.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

17 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Didn't you say you were doing monthly self-checks and had discussed it with your provider?   I didn't say that your provider suggested it, but you and your provider discussed and set up what you do.  

Nope. Unless by provider you mean the techs that couldn't get decent readings through either mammograms or ultrasounds. Plus, I never said I was doing monthly self-checks. My doctor does one annually. So, yes, I run the risk of having a cancer grow for most of a year before being discovered. That does not worry me. I don't have a family history of cancer except for my Dad who was a smoker most of his life and died of lung cancer at age 94 and even he had no pain--just a sense of fullness as his chest filled with fluid.

I keep wondering what our discussion has to do with choosing a domicile?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

It doesn't other than some people are saying to write off SD or Tx if one isn't on Medicare because of the lack of 'nationwide' health insurance.   And I really wonder about "nationwide" as each insurance company is registered in the state that they operate in and  expect that the people who buy insurance in that state use it in that state, even if it is a PPO.   While they will often pay for 'out-of-network' care, it will be less than if you are in their 'network' and I have a feeling that for expensive care over a period of time, the authorizations might be hard to come by or would only be authorized at a facility in that state (say a transplant, chemo, extensive orthopedic surgery).   

Now, a lot of companies will have insurance that covers all of their employees across many states, but the company and the insurance provider work out those details ahead of time,  most really large companies self-insure and use someone like BCBS to handle claims.   

So the point was, all things being equal, and if one is fairly healthy starting out, going with an HMO might be a good option, especially if one has only 3-4 years before Medicare kicks in.  But that will require that you at least pass through once a year to see your primary care provider, get any need Rxs renewed and then off again.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

I keep wondering what our discussion has to do with choosing a domicile?

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

It doesn't other than some people are saying to write off SD or Tx if one isn't on Medicare because of the lack of 'nationwide' health insurance. 

I think Linda may have been referring to the medical advice you were dispensing.

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And I really wonder about "nationwide" . . . all things being equal, and if one is fairly healthy starting out, going with an HMO might be a good option

So with no actual experience in an HMO (you had this smashingly good university-supplied health plan, right?) other than talking with some (one? ten?) HMO folks who appeared to be doing fine, you've concluded that HMOs are ok. Well, at least not a roadblock to choosing a domicile for someone under 65 who has to buy their own health insurance..

I think this is awful advice. I've had an HMO with no national coverage, and, believe me, you don't want this. Finally, the notion that "fairly healthy" people can predict their on-road health events and limit doctor visits to once a year is not realistic.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• Kirk W locked this topic