Dc/dc step down coverters

GlennWest

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I don't have a motorhome though. No onboard generator, so no real need for 12v batteries.

Glenn, As long as you have a quality high voltage (say 40 to 60 or so VDC) to 12 VDC Converter with sufficient power to operate all your typical 12 Volt Appliances (Vent fans, furnace, water pumps, slide outs, lights etc) I agree you have no need for additional 12 volt batteries.... BUT this is a choice and preference, sure there are other suitable methods should one so choose for whatever reasons such as the method posted above ... Hey you already have plenty of electricals lol

John T

7 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I don't have much to add to the technical specs but a cheap converter without a battery could fail.  Moving the slides and jacks on a Teton is difficult without power.

Who said I had no battery. No 12v battery but a hugh 48v battery pak. 21KWH

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

FOR THE RECORD, a typical RV has an internal often referred to as a "Converter/Charger" or just "Charger" which Converts 120 VAC shore power down to 13/14 VDC to Charge the 12 Volt Batteries.

HOWEVER what Glenn needs and is talking about is a "DC to DC Converter" so he can uses his 48 Volt Battery bank (Converted to 12 Volt) to power his RV's 12 Volt lights and vent fans and water pumps and furnace and slide motors etc. etc.

His 21 KWH 48 VDC Lithium Battery bank can power SEVERAL of our RV's lol much more then a typical say 100 Amp Hour to even 500 to 1000 Amp Hour 12 Volt Battery banks many use.

John T   

On 11/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, GlennWest said:

That why wanting to try these Chinese units. 100.00 dollars so if it doesn't hold up not out of a lot. 

What I was trying to say if the DC to DC converter fails the slides and Jack's are without power.  This can be very inconvenient.  A 12v battery for backup could be mighty handy.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Yes, I think everyone understood John. The question is whether he wants to go from his 48 V to converters To his load OR go from 48 V pack to small 12 volt pack to load. The idea being that the 12 volt pack could better handle any draw surge(I am thinking small lithium pack) and be less at the mercy of any malfunction in the 8 to 12 converters. 

There is no magic either way. Just a design question. 

Dave and Lana Hasper

In the coach I have li which is a little higher that start voltage, , so I just have a small battery charger off the inverter charging the start batteries, not so efficient but works.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I have electrical leveling Jack's. I had thoughts of changing out to hydraulic but see lots of issues with others. So stayed with what works. There are 40 amp circuit breakers on my slide outs. The only time they tripped was reversing direction while going in other direction. Also my 120v to 12v converter is 50 amp. So I choose 60amp for buck converter. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

7 hours ago, sushidog said:

Here's a 60a 48-12v one that goes up to 56v. They claim up to a 95% conversion efficiency.

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Voltage-Converter-Waterproof-Transformer/dp/B07QVJNQF2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=power%2Bconverter%2Bdc-dc%2B48v-12v&qid=1575342138&sr=8-6&th=1

It's only $120 too.

Chip

That is the one I originally looked at. States not to use when charging battery. That is why I passed on it.

Only one comment on this - other than that I think the data is there to make a decision.

High output buck converters - especially those that are stepping down a big "step" - typically do not handle large loads (near their ratings) well. Especially surges. So be aware of that and prepared to remedy that situation in your design, should you encounter it. Since your largest load is well below the converter rating, you may be fine. You probably have no way to figure that our without trying it. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

12 hours ago, Daveh said:

The question is whether he wants to go from his 48 V to converters To his load OR go from 48 V pack to small 12 volt pack to load. The idea being that the 12 volt pack could better handle any draw surge(I am thinking small lithium pack) and be less at the mercy of any malfunction in the 8 to 12 converters

Good Point Dave, if he goes with a 48 to 12 Converter and no 12 volt batteries whatsoever, he needs a good quality and a sufficient rated, especially surge rating, DC to DC Converter. I prefer as simple as possible and as few as possible devices and appliances and black boxes, that's one reason Id opt for a SINGLE 120/240 Volt Inverter with enough power to run allllllllllll his 120 and 240 loads and no extra 12 volt batteries IF FEASIBLE THAT IS...…….?????? But of course, your method of having a 12 volt battery certainly has some advantages.....

Best wishes Dave, nice sparky chatting with you

John T

Edited by oldjohnt