GY 114 Tire

ms60ocb

My DRV was picked up up at the factory 4 years ago by the dealer and 3 weeks later I was the owner with now about 20,000 miles.

All the discussion in the belt separation of the G114 H rated tires, I didn't expect I would have a failure still 5-6 years old.

Surprise I have the right front start it already starting failure well over 1/2 the rotation. I will put the spare on tomorrow, Has anyone received any adjustment from Good Year for these earlier potential failures . Date Code 1815  Size 215/75 R 17.5

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Last fall I noticed ply separations on two of my tires while on a trip (we have a MS too).  I called GY claims department and received a claim number.  After letting them know our location I was they referred me to a GY dealer near me.  The dealer inspected my tires and contacted GY for an adjustment.  GY replaced ALL 4 tires and I had to pay $1,000.  I had NO blow-outs or damage so it was just an exchange.  I was happy with the results.  Our old tires were dated early 2014, we took delivery from our dealer in April of '14.  I can't remember just how many miles were on them at that point but I'd have to guess around 15k.

Dan

LDSP.jpg

Howdy!

When I have had tread separation problems with Goodyear tires GY has paid for any damage and replacement of any and all tires. Contact at GY claims. They will want the tire sent to them for inspection. Any GY dealership can do this but I like dealing with GY commercial tire dealer Wingfoot.  I’ve had several claims with GY tires under warranty and they have always paid.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

GY reimbursed us for the tires and the damage done to both sides of our 5er when all 4 tires failed on one trip.  These tires were only 2 years old but it turned out GY was already aware of the problem.  The tire dealer told me that he dealt with a number of like failures and in a couple of cases GY replaced the remaining tires where there was only 1 tire that failed.  The way I feel about this is GY knew they had a problem and didn't  try to stop the dangerous problem.  I am sure you can imagine the hastle of trying to find all new tires one at a time just to get home.  Changing the tires on the side of the road was precarious to say the least.This was many years ago and I haven't bought a GY tire since.  It would appear that they still do business this way.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

When I replaced my China Bomb tires on my 4 month old fifth wheel trailer because I already had two blowouts I decided against replacing them with the Goodyear brand because of all the problems I read about Goodyear’s. I went with Mitchelin XPS Ribs. Had them for 5 years before I traded my 5er for a Class A. They aLmost never needed to have air added and look just as new 5 yrs later as the day I bought them. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The term "China Bomb" gets tossed about frequently in these discussions.  While there are cheap/inferior Chinese tires, there are also good Chinese tires.  I have Sailuns on both my Newmar 5er and my Mack road tractor.  I've had good luck with both.  I know others who run Sailuns on their rv's with similar success.

As to the GY tires, it's pretty obvious they know they have a problem, but keep making, and selling them.  I took off my 16' Goodyears and replaced them with 17.5" Sailuns for greater capacity and less money.  So far, I'm a happy camper.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks for the input as its helps in bargaining. I will be driving south the next 10 days with Thanksgiving and birthdays on the way, so with my fingers crossed and an eye on the TPMS.

Happy Thanksgiving

Clay

On 11/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, rynosback said:

Once I finish traveling South also, I will go to a Goodyear store.

X2

People say the Sailun tires are Great but also they are China built. Maybe I'm a bit practical in the point that there are the Glodal Protest over pollution and Glodal warming. My point lets buy from the cleanest manufacture, avoid dirty old China. Less world wide pollution.

328 rough Illinois miles without a blown out but will inspect in day light. Missouri highways and bridges are good. But for Illinois benefit, the miles of broken concrete on the left side the lane has been patched and rough.

Clay

11 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

People say the Sailun tires are Great but also they are China built.

My 17.5 Sailuns were made in Vietnam.  Still not a "clean" place, but they do seem to be good tires.  Time will tell.  If they're as good as my 11.00R22.5 drives, I'll be happy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

X2

People say the Sailun tires are Great but also they are China built. Maybe I'm a bit practical in the point that there are the Glodal Protest over pollution and Glodal warming. My point lets buy from the cleanest manufacture, avoid dirty old China. Less world wide pollution.

328 rough Illinois miles without a blown out but will inspect in day light. Missouri highways and bridges are good. But for Illinois benefit, the miles of broken concrete on the left side the lane has been patched and rough.

Clay

As long as they cost under $170 to replace a tire, I will stay with Goodyear. If one would separate they will cover the damage that the tire causes. I do not know of any other tire manufacture that will do that.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 11/26/2019 at 12:59 AM, rynosback said:

As long as they cost under $170 to replace a tire, I will stay with Goodyear. If one would separate they will cover the damage that the tire causes. I do not know of any other tire manufacture that will do that.

Where are you getting GYs for close to $170?  Even when they offered me $100 off, they were still $315 each.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

So I take it you have already made it south and replaced the tires.  What was your manufacture dates on the old ones?  My wear was not an issue on the good tires, but that is all that shop offered.

Yes, if they can get close to the price you mentioned, than I would stay with them because of the damage warranty.

Thanks,

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I bought the discount tire warranty for mine si I haven’t paid full price yet. Based on weight I should be running 125 lbs of pressure. Since I dropped to 118 lbs I haven’t had any tread peal off. Still watching. When I have to pay full price I will go to Hercules tires.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

14 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

So I take it you have already made it south and replaced the tires.  What was your manufacture dates on the old ones?  My wear was not an issue on the good tires, but that is all that shop offered.

Yes, if they can get close to the price you mentioned, than I would stay with them because of the damage warranty.

Thanks,

I have made it south. Trying to deal with Goodyear soon, as it has been raining quit a bit and more rain is expected.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

14 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Based on weight I should be running 125 lbs of pressure. Since I dropped to 118 lbs I haven’t had any tread peal off. Still watching. When I have to pay full price I will go to Hercules tires.

Question on your tire pressures. Are dropping the do to temperature or ??  I started my trip with a 120 psig with a temperature in the mid twenties and arriving in Texas having pressures of close to 125 psig ( within the rule of 1 PSIG change per 10 degrees ambient change)

I have completed my run south without any emergencies. But I put the slides out before running my hand over the tires to see if I have any addition raised thread. I going to wait till next year to do my tire shopping. Lots of sales people you tell you stories. I haven't heard of the Hercules 17.5 inch tires and I was told that Cooper has a good USA made tire but I haven't confirmed. On the GY tires, I haven't talked to Discount Tire but others I have talked to say that is a Commercial Tire and not available to me.

Clay

The can of worms is opened when worrying about exact tire temps. Here is one of them.

Running tires are in thermal equilibrium between the generation of internal heat due to the viscoelasticity of the rubber material and the effects of their thermal environment. Since the viscoelasticity shows temperature dependency, there is a strong correlation between this thermal equilibrium and the rolling resistance. However, there are only few methods which can be used for estimating the amount of rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle using this correlation. In this paper, we would like to estimate the temperature distribution in the running tire by means of the quasi-static model of the finite element method (FEM) in consideration of the thermal environment of real road driving and introduce an approach toward estimating the rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle based on the correlation between the temperature distribution in the tire and the rolling resistance.

The best info is from the tire manufacturers data books. Lots of them are on line. 

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

On 12/5/2019 at 6:19 AM, ms60ocb said:

Question on your tire pressures. Are dropping the do to temperature or ??  I started my trip with a 120 psig with a temperature in the mid twenties and arriving in Texas having pressures of close to 125 psig ( within the rule of 1 PSIG change per 10 degrees ambient change)

I have completed my run south without any emergencies. But I put the slides out before running my hand over the tires to see if I have any addition raised thread. I going to wait till next year to do my tire shopping. Lots of sales people you tell you stories. I haven't heard of the Hercules 17.5 inch tires and I was told that Cooper has a good USA made tire but I haven't confirmed. On the GY tires, I haven't talked to Discount Tire but others I have talked to say that is a Commercial Tire and not available to me.

Clay

I don’t worry about temperature unless it spikes. I lowered my pressure because at 125 I was loosing tread. Since I lowered it I haven’t had any separation. I have been through a bunch of tires too. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime