Furnace problem - maybe ???

sreno155

We flew to Florida from Phoenix to purchase a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1 last week.

Proceeded to drive the rig 2200 miles back home. The first night we overnighted in Lake City Florida at a Super Walmart. Great stay and the rig worked great. A cold front was going through the south and the temp was low enough that we had the rig’s furnace on. If we remember correctly the temps were down in the low 40’s. The furnace kept us toasty through the night.

Day 2 we drove on I10 into the middle of Louisiana and overnighted at an RV park. The temps that evening got down into the low 30’s. We woke up to a nice and toasty Motorhome. My wife took a shower that morning and enjoyed a nice and warm shower. The rig uses an in-line water heater to give us hot water. The in-line unit uses propane, on demand, for the water heating duties. After the shower we noticed that that furnace was no longer providing heat to our rig. The furnace sounded like it was trying to ignite the propane to create flame but would immediately stop. Then a few seconds later would try to ignite the flame again but failed. We decided to hit the road and discuss the problem.

On the third day we drove to Kerrville Texas and called to see if an RV service shop could look at our furnace. Ronnie Bock’s RV service were very kind to take the time and check out our furnace. Of course it fired right up and worked great for the whole time we were there.  (Middle of the afternoon  70 degrees) They suggested that the furnace circuit board had been known to cause problems and they had changed out several of them in the past. We bought a circuit board from them but did not replace it, still trying to determine the cause to the problem. Down the road again.

Drove a bit further to Junction Texas and ate some very good BBQ. We got permission from the manager to overnight in their parking lot along with another MH. Went to bed that evening with the rig’s furnace on. The temp that night got down into the high 20’s. My wife woke at around 4am and noted that it was a bit cold in the RV (around 56 degrees). This was quite a bit colder than what we set the thermostat the night before. This time we decided to try a do a bit of troubleshooting. I went outside and verified that the propane bottle valve was indeed all of the way open. Then went inside and turned on the faucet to try for warm water. The indicator in the rig indicates the temp of the water as it warms. It was not getting above 52 degrees and eventually gave an error code of E2. We then attempted to warm water in a pan on the propane stove. The flame came on but was not as intense as it usually is and was struggling to stay on.

It appears that we are not providing enough propane for our demands when it gets cold outside.

What in the propane line would cause this? I was told by an RV service manager that the propane regulator may be the culprit.  Any other ideas???

It sounds like low propane pressure but that probably means that you need a new propane pressure regulator. When they fail it isn't unusual for one to work intermittently for a while before complete failure. I suggest you have your RV tech check it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If it’s still “cold” out shut the vapour valve off and crack the line there. Don’t remove it. Crack the valve and see if you get a nice hiss of vapour indicating product in the tank is propane. If yes what has been said about low supply pressure would be the next thing to check. 

If no or lazy pressure maybe butane?

Why would a coach’s propane system have been filled with butane? asked the dumb Canuck camping in winter ...

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The further south you go, the greater the chance of getting a blended batch of fuel. Think of it like winter diesel. Canada rolls out the winter blend way earlier, and holds onto it later in the spring than, say, Kansas. If I fuel up, in the spring, before I head north, I run the risk of fuel issues due to cold. Down South, the mixed blend propane isn't an issue. Colder areas, it becomes one. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, isa said:

I  hope  you  have  propane  in  the  tank  and  not  butane.

Exactly what I was thinking. Phoenix is a warm climate, butane is normally sold where lows  normally do not get below freezing; North TX is freezing temps in winter. When he gets to Florida it will probably begin working again. His present situation requires topping off the tank with propane, and/or wrapping a 120VAC pipe heat tape around the tank/cylinder and powering with the genset while driving, of course when on shore power an extension cord supplies power.

image.png.0c50323a5905149a50dbae9f90004bbe.png

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961