Starlink Central

Zulu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A beautiful launch of 58 Starlink satellites and 3 Planet SkySats at 5:21 this morning EDT! The first stage landed successfully on the OCISLY...

https://www.spacex.com/launches/

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

ALCAN has announced a LEO/MEO Ka-band ground antenna that could possibly be used for Starlink, but . . .

It's a big pizza box that costs more than $300.

From ALCAN's announcement . . .

Cost: $1685 - $2800 (1500 - 2500 euros)

Size: 21.6" x 39" x 3.5" (55cm x 99cm x 9cm)

Power: ~100W

Weight: 44 pounds (20 Kg)

Availability: 4th quarter 2021

Antenna: 2D beam steering, +/- 55 degrees (that's a good slice of sky!)

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Wow, That is a great price! When the first RV satellite two VSats came out for RVs it was a much larger dome than that for the automatic receivers. If I remember correctly they were $4k-$7k when they debuted and they were blocked by hills and mountains that should not affect the Starlink system. The cheapest satellite Internet dishes I can find is used on eBay: $2850.00: Refurbished Motosat

However I would expect things to get much better. But regardless, I am hoping to get one for home. And I hope they gdet a nice mobile version for the Tesla cars and SUVs. I pick up mine Friday.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Zulu, pretty cool Starlink satellite tracker.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

Me too for Connecticut.  Here's the entire content of the note I received:

The Starlink team is now accepting addresses (instead of just zip codes) at starlink.com, which will improve our ability to provide location specific updates as our network develops. Please click the link below to update your address:

Update My Address

Starlink private beta begins this summer with public beta to follow.  If you are signed up for updates, we will notify you if beta testing opportunities become available in your area. Thank you for your interest in Starlink!

Edited by DanZemke
Added note from Starlink

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

When I've had similar problems on other sites, it's usually my ad-blocker.  The only other thing I can suggest, is try a different browser.  That has worked for me in the past.

I'm willing, but unable to suggest anything else.

9 hours ago, durangodon said:

I did it too.  No chance I'll get picked for beta program, especially in Colorado.  I think it's just a way to gather email and snail mail addresses so that once they do get a service to sell, we'll be inundated with spam.  🤪

Wont happen here... I created an email address just for this offer, and we don't receive any snail mail at our NY service address.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, durangodon said:

I think it's just a way to gather email and snail mail addresses so that once they do get a service to sell, we'll be inundated with spam.  🤪

I honestly think you're mistaken.  I know nothing about the culture within skylink.  But if their objective was to build an advertising email list, I wouldn't expect them use zip codes to limit eligibility.

Starlink Beta Testing

As previously noted, emails have gone out for Starlink's private and public beta testing:

ifmdjw84iqa51.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Thanks to a Starlink Redditer who data mined some JavaScript code, it looks like beta testers will be selected from between the 44th and 52nd parallels:

starlink-beta-test.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs