Mobile to San Antonio via I-10

ToddF

Any recommendations on good overnight stops on this route? It is approximately 750 miles from Rainbow Plantation to Traveler's World in San Antonio. I am looking at Isle of Capri in Lake Charles (W of New Orleans) for stop #1. That is a few more miles than I'd like for the 1st day but doable. Isle says yes to overnight parking (their rv lot is booked) with 24/7 security roaming. Welcoming. Don't need any hookups for 3 nights. Thanks for any suggestions. I would like to take advantage of being able to play slots in Louisiana as I don't think there are any in Texas.

Thank you...will stop at Stephen Austin on night #2 and Hondo night #3 before backtracking into San Antonio for 4 nights at Travelers World. This is what I love about RVing...the 3 nights between Rainbow Plantation and San Antonio will be an adventure and with this plan, the first night is free, the second night is about $20, and the 3rd night $5 (boondock). Got 25% off at Travelers World (special by Sun Resorts thru the end of Dec Promo code 19STAYTX25VR)...it's a nice park right  on the bike trail. Looking forward to checking out another Escapee coop park. 19 STAYTX25VR

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Escapees has a Co-Op in Hondo TX which is just west of San Antonio you may look at as your final stop. 

Hondo is about 45 miles from San Antonio. Lone Star Corral is very nice park, but not very handy for touring SA. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for reminder about Louisiana, my hopes are dashed that it has been resurfaced since I traveled it last year. 6,000 miles into this trip from MN (out East, down to Florida and now in Summerdale) the interstates and secondary roads have been fantastic. (I-95 through SC was a bit rough).

Edited by ToddF

Isle of Capri (Lake Charles) is a good overnight with the option of a paid hookup site with elec only. They allowed free overnight parking in the overflow lot which is what we chose. The parking lots are directly below the huge bridge on I-10. Lots of noise and worry about that bridge which has seen better days. I put a price of 1B to replace that monster. Every time a truck hits a certain spot, you hear a pronounced thud like something is loose. Scary. I am not a complainer, but the seafood buffet was $72 for 2 and not worth it. 2nd night stopped at Katy RV Park in Katy, TX. $53.10 for the night. It was worth it not to have to hassle with parking in a busy WM overnight. Katy RV Park has a very unique setup, I would recommend anyone looking at the Houston area to stop there and check it out. When I am retired, I would gladly spend a month there during the winter. Tonight at TT in Columbus, TX, no charge for TT members. San Antonio...here we come!

(I-10 is still very rough through LA and East Texas. Drop your speed as you cross the LA/TX line to reduce the odds of disaster).