I’m as green as they come

BigD234

Over the last couple years I have been dealing with the RV bug. I became interested while working in Denver. I travel for work and live in hotels or apartments while working on a project. Projects last 3 to 4 months usually. The company that I’m contracted with now will pay for me to live in an RV full time while on the road. I started by upgrading my truck from a 2014 Chevy Silverado to a 2016 Ford F-350 (gas with a 3.73 rear axle). I wanted a fifth wheel toy hauler, but cannot find one I can tow. So I am limited to a light weight fifth wheel. I am looking for options to carry my motorcycle.without a garage. I plan to start small and see how much I like it. If it takes, then I will upgrade the truck and the trailer. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. My first question is about the tow capacity: All the dealerships are very conservative on the weight I can tow due to liability if something goes wrong. How must, based on your experience, do you think I can tow?

Thanks for any info you can provide. 

Travel Trailer toy hauler?  Travel Trailer with moto bike loaded in bed of truck?  Shorter 5th wheel with enclosed trailer behind that, just long enough to haul bike?  I have seen shorter toy haulers, 5th wheel and TT that did not have a wall between garage and living space.  You can look under manufacturer of your truck and find recommended weights for that truck, I bet you could find one you could haul.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The 2016 Ford Towing Guide shows an F-350 with the 6.2L gasoline engine and the 3.73 rear end as being rated to tow between 12,000 and 12,900 pounds, depending on the configuration of the truck.  Simpler trucks (Standard cab, 2WD) are lighter so you'll be able to tow slightly more than a heavier crew cab, 4x4 (for instance).  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Here is Ford's Towing Guide for 2016: 

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_16RVTTgde_r4_Jul27.pdf

Find your truck based on cab configuration, axle ratio, 4x2 or 4x4, etc.

You can also use the Changing Gears Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

A lot of what you need will be based on what size motorcycle you have. If it's something big and heavy like a Harley it's going to be more difficult and expensive to tote it around with you. I carry a 250cc dirt bike on a rack welded to the rear of the frame of my fifth wheel, and because of the light weight of the dirt bike, its no problem at all.

I think living in an RV while you're at these temporary job sites is a great idea and is one of the main reasons that I first got involved with RVs myself. As you probably know by now living in hotels gets very old after a while and you never feel at home because you never are. But an RV will quickly become your home and then you will be home no matter where you park it. I'm a full-timer so I'm speaking from experience here. RV Park monthly fees are very reasonable, and if your job is going to pay for it that's even better.

I would suggest that whatever RV you decide on that you talk to the manufacturer, not the dealership salesman, but the manufacturer, and ask them if their RV is built for full-time living. Most RVs aren't. My decades of experience with RVs tells me that you might have less problems and live more comfortably, with an RV that is designed and built to be a four season, full-time RV.

theboondork.com

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

6 hours ago, theboondork said:

you might have less problems and live more comfortably, with an RV that is designed and built to be a four season, full-time RV.

It also helps to ask where those four seasons are. Texas's four seasons are not the same as Minnesota's four seasons. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for pointing that out Linda it's very true. I lived in Miami Florida for a considerable amount of time and it only had two seasons, hot and humid, and very hot and humid, but then every once in a while for a change of pace there would be a hurricane.

theboondork.com

Edited by theboondork
my mistake

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

13 minutes ago, theboondork said:

Thanks for pointing that out Linda it's very true.

If you dig for it, most RV manufacturers have a low temperature rating for their different models. And those not rated for low temperatures will also be difficult to keep cool in very hot weather. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/10/2019 at 3:56 PM, BigD234 said:

I started by upgrading my truck to a 2016 Ford F-350 (gas with a 3.73 rear axle).  All the dealerships are very conservative on the weight I can tow due to liability if something goes wrong. How must, based on your experience, do you think I can tow?

You didn't state didn't state whether had a single wheel or dually rear axle. Or 6 or 8 feet bed length. It good to see you have some dealers that are conservative. Its seem a lot dealers will yes you can pull that.  But can you stop it?? Watch the carrying capacity of both the truck and the RV. Some RV's  are closely engineered for weekend campers with little capacity to full-time. If you have Dually pickup, you should be able find something to need your needs but don't get in a hurry. 

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3 with a Class 5 Tow Vehicle

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C