DRV falling landing jack in transit fix

rynosback

Well, I joined the “My jacks are FALLING club” in early October. Not just was the nose dropping when the coach was parked, but the front jacks also started dropping when fully retracted. Now, it was not safe to travel as I feared the jacks falling in transit.

This is what I came up with, and it works. 

Parts needed:

2 band clamps (3 1/2”-3 13/16”) (Part #4564670 at Ace Hardware) 

2 hex nuts (AHF 1/2” at Home Depot) 

2 washers, large enough to slip over the through bolt (I believe they are 7/16”)

2 two foot chains (880 lbs working load)

2 padlocks

Installation:

1. Disassemble the band clamp to get it around the leg. Reassemble the band clamp. ***You may need to trim the foam to expose enough outer tube.

2. Put the second chain link between the band clamp and the outer tube. Tighten the band clamp. ***The band clamp will become distorted around the chain link.

3. Install washer, then nut on the through bolt. Tighten.  ***This protects the threads on the through bolt. The washer gives the chain a guide.

4. Repeat with the other leg.

When getting ready to travel:

1. Retract landing gear. 

2. Keep the through bolt of the landing gear (where the washer and nut were added) fairly close to where the chain drops down.

3. Wrap the chain under the though bolt and between the inner tube and the metal foot pad. Make sure you wrap it tight. This is so the chain will keep the inner tube from dropping.

4. Make two full wraps around the leg. Use a padlock to secure the chain. Be sure to go through the chain link closest to the band clamp and the link closest to that link after you have wrapped it twice. The goal is to create as much tension as you can.

When you are at your destination:

1. Retract the front jacks to take the tension off the chain and padlock. 

2. Remove the lock and unwrap the chain.

So far, I have traveled 1100 miles with this modification, and it has been holding the jacks. 

**Be prepared for the jacks to drop down a couple of inches until the chain is under full tension. 

FYI

I tried a cable, but it snapped as it could not handle the load of the falling jacks. 

I also picked up 2 (3 1/2”) exhaust clamps as backups.

I like the band clamp over the exhaust clamp as it gives me a wider grab. I was concerned the exhaust clamp might crimp the outer tube and cause friction of the inner tube. 

Hope this helps and safe travels.attachment.php?attachmentid=386080&d=157

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Oh ya they are aware of it. From what I understand Lippert has been retrofitting rigs everyday for the past couple of years. Not to mention another well known  place named Roberts that has been rebuilding them one a day for a couple of years. Just naming two places that have been doing it.

What you here is , your out of the one year warranty. And I heard that there are some failure rates even on the new styled jacks.

This is why it is important to call NHTSA and file a complaint. It will force them to do the right thing.

Edited by rynosback

My jacks were failing as well.  I ended up making an appt. at the lippert repair place.  To insure that the legs did not fall during the drive i did the same as GeorgiaHybrid. I did not use the jacks or disconnect the truck till i got to the repair shop. 

The repair by the way involved stripping the front compartment to the frame and welding new mounts for the new cylinders to mount to. So far (2 years) the new jacks have worked well!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

7 hours ago, orca said:

My jacks were failing as well.  I ended up making an appt. at the lippert repair place.  To insure that the legs did not fall during the drive i did the same as GeorgiaHybrid. I did not use the jacks or disconnect the truck till i got to the repair shop. 

The repair by the way involved stripping the front compartment to the frame and welding new mounts for the new cylinders to mount to. So far (2 years) the new jacks have worked well!

Did they warranty it?

6 hours ago, rynosback said:

Did they warranty it?

Short story.....yes, even though it was a full year out of warranty!  

Long story is it spent 3 months in my local rv repair shop while the factory gave the tech things to try that all failed to fix the problem including a new pump that cost big bucks and did nothing. I complained to DRV and they put me in contact with the Lippert repair and they agreed to replace the jacks, no charge!  

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

2 hours ago, orca said:

Short story.....yes, even though it was a full year out of warranty!  

Long story is it spent 3 months in my local rv repair shop while the factory gave the tech things to try that all failed to fix the problem including a new pump that cost big bucks and did nothing. I complained to DRV and they put me in contact with the Lippert repair and they agreed to replace the jacks, no charge!  

Glad to hear that they stepped up and fixed your rig. I had heard that some people were covered over a year and others paid the full amount to have the newer jacks replaced.

Edited by rynosback