LED replacement bulbs

scouserl41

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RVs have variable power (especially when parked in California! :rolleyes:) When buying bulbs for RVs get the ones that list a range of power they can tolerate, usually 11-28 volts and the RV T10 replacements should have circuitry on the back like this:

pl2ttigl.jpg

Some have the circuitry hidden so look for a range of voltage.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 hours ago, noteven said:

rick...any idea why motorcycle headlights emit invisible light?

Lawrence, it's only "invisible" to the idiots who pull out in front of us.😉

And for others, referring to the mention of headlights, there's no such thing as "DOT approved" lights.  The DOT sets standards, and it's up to the manufacturer to be in compliance.  Nobody actually checks whether they're telling the truth on the packaging. Putting a led bulb in will likely make more light, but if the focal point isn't in the correct position, it may be aimed incorrectly, blinding other traffic, or spreading the light too close to the vehicle.  Don't blame it on led's, but rather poor design and quality control.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Putting an led bulb in will likely make more light, but if the focal point isn't in the correct position, it may be aimed incorrectly, blinding other traffic, 

I've noticed that many times.. the headlight is so bright and aimed right at me I have to look away.

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

i am of the FREE market, let people decide where there money goes, not a nanny state government tell you what to think, or do.

I don't even know where to begin when someone is so entrenched that they have no concept of community.  How sad for you.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And without government mandate seat belts would be an expensive add-on and other safety items would never have gotten off the ground.  Without government regulation, think what we would all be paying for in terms of lung cancer deaths.  Or drunk driving deaths.  Sometimes we have to mandate that people change their habits in order for everyone to be safer.   Or would you rather have lead in your drinking water pipes?   Setting standards has opened the door to new ways of doing things, new industries, with each leading to new ways of thinking and the promise of further development of the human potential.   

Barb, you are always commenting on peoples' "scientific illiteracy".  Perhaps you should brush up on your reading comprehension skills.  Please cite one place where I wrote "government bad", "government wrong", "government stupid", "government overreach", "anti government".

For some reason, you read my posts and assumed that I was against government regulation.  I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  I simply pointed out that it was the government which put an end to most incandescent bulbs in use, not consumer choice.  Do you disagree with that?  I didn't make a judgment at all, one way or the other.  I don't know why you came up with all this seat belts, lead pipes, leaded gas, drunk driving, etc.  I never said I was against government regulations.

In fact, I spent forty years of my life working for the government, most of those years enforcing many of the health and safety codes we have today.

Instead of seeing what you want to see when someone posts something, perhaps you should just read what they wrote.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

4 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I have no doubt that if the government hadn't stepped in, household incandescent bulbs would still dominate the market in the USA.

Probably true for now, but the change would have come just as surely as did the demise of the typewriter market. Cost of electricity for the bulbs, the longer life and falling prices for LEDs would have caused the change to come without governmental intervention, but as I said before more slowly.  

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Setting standards has opened the door to new ways of doing things, new industries, with each leading to new ways of thinking and the promise of further development of the human potential.   

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I don't even know where to begin when someone is so entrenched that they have no concept of community.  How sad for you.

where does "community" come in here?. thought we were talking personal choice.

what is wrong with wanting to spend MY money as i see fit for MY usage?

where does what the family next door have to do with this?

now if you want to be able to control MY life, then how about you pay the bills.

so much in and around our privet life's we have no control,  sure some controls are good,  but i believe some are not so.

out in public that is another thing. controls are needed there,  like in keeping traffic mostly doing the same on the roads.

saying all electricity will be at 60 hrtz, and house hold voltage is set at 110volts, 15 amps out of the wall socket. (and "other" sockets at such voltage/amps).

i have always (or at least as far back as i can remember) helped others with no repayment required. i help them just because it is right.

even well past the point it cost me a day(more) and cash out of my pocket. i never even thought of a "payment" in any word or form.

I purchased LED's years ago and I experienced many of the problems discussed here.  However, the recent advancements have proven so good that we have them in our house and RV.  I really like them.  When I changed my shop to LED's the improvement was fantastic and saved me money.  Even though I can't imagine going back to incandescent I think a person should have a choice.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

43 minutes ago, packnrat said:

where does "community" come in here?. thought we were talking personal choice.

what is wrong with wanting to spend MY money as i see fit for MY usage?

where does what the family next door have to do with this?

now if you want to be able to control MY life, then how about you pay the bills.

so much in and around our privet life's we have no control,  sure some controls are good,  but i believe some are not so.

out in public that is another thing. controls are needed there,  like in keeping traffic mostly doing the same on the roads.

saying all electricity will be at 60 hrtz, and house hold voltage is set at 110volts, 15 amps out of the wall socket. (and "other" sockets at such voltage/amps).

i have always (or at least as far back as i can remember) helped others with no repayment required. i help them just because it is right.

even well past the point it cost me a day(more) and cash out of my pocket. i never even thought of a "payment" in any word or form.

So you’re ok with speed limits so that we don’t kill each other, but going to more efficient light bulbs to reduce power demands and help to reduce carbon pollution and maintain a livable planet for everyone is a bridge to far?     

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

27 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I purchased LED's years ago and I experienced many of the problems discussed here.  However, the recent advancements have proven so good that we have them in our house and RV.  I really like them.  When I changed my shop to LED's the improvement was fantastic and saved me money.  Even though I can't imagine going back to incandescent I think a person should have a choice.  

A choice to pollute more?  Because that is what you are advocating.  Since most power generation includes some pollution,  shouldn’t we do everything possible to reduce our need for more electrical power plants.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

False assumption here:

No incandescent bulbs on the shelves. Sorry I see them everywhere from WalMart, to Dollar Tree. Or order online https://www.bing.com/search?q=incandescent+60+watt&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

So all can today go buy what they want.

This was a thread the OP (Original Poster or Originator of this thread) intended to expand on information about LEDs. Please stop hijacking the thread by bemoaning a lack of choices that is false. Nor was the topic government or whether one or another's ego was ascendant or attacked.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

A choice to pollute more?  Because that is what you are advocating.  Since most power generation includes some pollution,  shouldn’t we do everything possible to reduce our need for more electrical power plants.

I can't  believe we drive RV's all about and use terribly inefficient RV appliances and since you are on a RV forum I assume you accept or maybe even do that and you are worried about someone using a little more power to light their home!  Residential lighting doesn't use a lot of power.  There are politicians that think we should use  mass transit and only drive electric vehicles when absolutely necessary.   That would really save a lot of pollution but I am guessing many of us would prefer a choice.  In my opinion your calling me out on this is misplaced and insignificant. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I can't  believe we drive RV's all about and use terribly inefficient RV appliances and since you are on a RV forum I assume you accept or maybe even do that and you are worried about someone using a little more power to light their home!  Residential lighting doesn't use a lot of power.  There are politicians that think we should use  mass transit and only drive electric vehicles when absolutely necessary.   That would really save a lot of pollution but I am guessing many of us would prefer a choice.  In my opinion your calling me out on this is misplaced and insignificant. 

I think you will find that most RVers have a much smaller carbon footprint that one would think.  And I was pointing out that using more efficient anything in terms of energy is better for the whole planet.  BTW, we now drive a hybrid BY CHOICE.  It is our way of doing something to reduce our carbon footprint AND save some money we would spend on fuel.  50 mpg when involved in mainly urban/suburban driving.  

Obviously we have too many who are too young to remember when LA was having daily smog alerts and you couldn't see the San Bernardino mountains, or when the Cuyahoga River burned in Cleveland, or black snow and ice on Lake Erie, or the horrible yellow haze and smell in Phoenix during the summer when the Copper Smelters were going full blast with no pollution controls.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

IMHO it's sad that so much of this thread has been spent trying to explain that facts are facts.  It's a fact that LED lights will last far longer than any competing residential light type.  It's also a fact that LEDs use far less electrical energy per lumen emitted.

Those are simply facts--there should be no debate of them.

One can discuss the color temperature of various LED lights and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of those various "shades" of white light. 

Similarly, one can discuss the "infant mortality" rate of LED lights and whether that rate is dependent on LED price.    

But you simply cannot dispute the facts relating to LED lifetime compared to other sources.  The increasingly anti-science attitude of a significant percentage of the US population is downright scary IMO.  As Daniel Patrick Moynihan is reported to have said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts!"

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

17 hours ago, RV_ said:

I am now going to use the LED workshop four foot LEDs in my new place's basement and small workshop storage building.

I used these lights for sale on Amazon in my shop when I set it up last spring. So far have been very pleased with the result. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, docj said:

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan is reported to have said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts!"

One of my favorite quotes. Today we are a nation of Jerry Springer fan act-alikes and very similar to the National enquirer readers we laughed at when I was growing up. Even teens in my day could not be sucked into believing the crazy conspiracy theories we see today.

My signature block has a related quote.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

8 hours ago, docj said:

The increasingly anti-science attitude of a significant percentage of the US population is downright scary IMO.  As Daniel Patrick Moynihan is reported to have said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts!"

x2.  I get really tired of this "my conspiracy theory is just as good as your facts" argument.  Gee, I wonder where this came from.?

Edited by hemsteadc

Yep Kirk,

Those and some I found locally at an even better price at Lowe's or Homer's, I can't remember which since we've been everywhere buying vinyl waterproof floor planks , new vanities, shopping shed/workshops, battery snow blowers and lawnmowers that share 60 volt batteries. I'm now all battery electric in my home tools and mower/string trimmer, blowers, hedge trimmer, all battery electric. I even just bought a battery 1/2" impact wrench with 300 ft/lbs torque. I just need a little push mower now. Tech has come a long way, just when I wanted it most! I love LED lighting but that is very old news tech wise. We did that two homes ago!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

17 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

So you’re ok with speed limits so that we don’t kill each other, but going to more efficient light bulbs to reduce power demands and help to reduce carbon pollution and maintain a livable planet for everyone is a bridge to far?     

Isn’t the serious injury and fatality rate on roads lower in countries that have higher speed traffic and a lot fewer signs and signals telling drivers what to do?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

33 minutes ago, noteven said:

Isn’t the serious injury and fatality rate on roads lower in countries that have higher speed traffic and a lot fewer signs and signals telling drivers what to do?

I don't know, but that would be an interesting statistic.  The Autobahn is pretty safe, but it's designed for high-speed traffic.  My experience in traffic engineering is that speed limits are the "safe" speed for that road, not a government plot to control your life.

Edited by hemsteadc

5 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I don't know, but that would be an interesting statistic.  The Autobahn is pretty safe, but it's designed for high-speed traffic.  My experience in traffic engineering is that speed limits are the "safe" speed for that road, not a government plot to control your life.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has had some experience driving on the autobahn.  Although my experience is a bit dated, I found drivers to be far more observant of the "rules of the road" than they typically are here in the US.  In particular, they were careful to make sure that they didn't use the left lane unless they were actively passing another vehicle.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

In general the German's heavily enforce protocol.  At intersection with yield signs, the other direction has signs that indicate that you have the priority.  If you stop when you have the right-away, you can get a ticket for delay of traffic.

The left lane rule was significant.  I have seen Mercedes going 130 mph pull over because a Ferrari was coming thru at 150 mph.  The German police use Porsche for enforcement so they can catch you.

Swerving over the centerline on curve can get you time in the German jail for endangering someone coming the other way.

German police seldom assign 100% fault in an accident.  Even if rear ended, why were you in the way of the car hitting you?  Like a person pulling out from an arterial stop and not accelerating to the going speed.

The ultimate was in the 70's when everyone was issuing lowered speed limits, the German actually posted speed limit signs.  The Germans exactly followed the speed limits unlike out 5-10 over attitude. At the next election, they fired everyone who had a part in posting the speed limits.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com