LED replacement bulbs

scouserl41

16 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Packrat, would you please give me the link for your statement:

Because as a chemist/chemical engineer I want to see the research on this  phenomena.  Yes, there are sands than contain volcanic glass, but under the microscope those are glass bits, not sand grains.  Now, if you use pressure and heat, say in a volcano, then you would form magma, which might flow out as molten rock which when cooled, would go through erosion and finally become sand (and sand is different all over the world).   And the type of sand would depend upon the types of other minerals beside SiO2 in the magma, which is dependent upon the place on the mantel that the hotspot occurs.   

i say 'sand" cause i am not sure how to spell selicaka. to me just a truck driver it is a fancy word for sand.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda sad none on on the shelves any longer. looks like a ban to me.

sure you can get other way more costly. and mercury vapor (just never let the gas out of that one). maybe not a "ban" just a profit thing going on?

i see it as my wallet, my choice. i do not spend much time at home (work 12-15 hr shifts right now, used to do multi day layovers, heck years back i might get home every couple of weeks). when home i sleep.  so the cost of good bulbs that for the most part last a life time. longer.

i dump leds home style lights in the trash far more than normal incandescent bulbs, so no cost saving there. heck had two of them (more in that box?) that i had to turn on the light and return 10-15 min latter just to have enough light to see things. no instant light, started off very dim, and then the chip in the base let it ramp up to a usable light. wheres the savings? about new leds gone, fed up with them, just  trashed them.

no reason to use plastic, or have any electronics's  just to make light.  just tin, card stock, and glass.

yes i do have the 4D mag light, and they do have the leds in them, (those cost $10.usd more to buy).   had one, i dropped it again the bulb went out, so replaced it with a led. could not find a reg bulb replacement that day. as to more light, longer life?

i just know what i see every day at work, and leds do not last as long. decades back running lights just did not fail. now all the time.

my employer spent a LARGE amount of money having the flood lights removed and replaced with led style stuff. will take decades to recoup that cost. (about the time they are designed to fail, then what gets put back in there? and the old light were still working, now just rusting behind the shop.)  and the leds are too bright for my eyes (i work the over night shift) tons of glare. i have to block them to see behind me while back in to a door. and they block out the whole night sky, can only see a couple of planets and the moon. no stars.

37 minutes ago, packnrat said:

i say 'sand" cause i am not sure how to spell selicaka. to me just a truck driver it is a fancy word for sand.

Ah, but not all sand is SiO2 (silicon dioxide).  Sand can also be calcium carbonate if the source of the rock that has eroded away came mostly from decaying organic matter.  Sand is actually just the size of the rocks.  Most sand from non-organic sources will be from quartz, but there are also other minerals that erode away to form sands.

BTW - not all glass is just from SiO2.  Look up Soda Glass, Borosilicate Glass, leaded glass, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

kinda sad none on on the shelves any longer. looks like a ban to me.

I changed to LED lighting in our RV first because it gives so much more light with less drain on our batteries. We have now gone to LED lights in our house because they use so much less electricity and so lower my electric bill. Stores stop stocking products and companies stop making them when sales of that product become very slow. Have you tried to buy a new typewriter lately? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

35 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Have you tried to buy a new typewriter lately? 

Now I have coffee on my keyboard.🤣

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

38 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Stores stop stocking products and companies stop making them when sales of that product become very slow.

Stores also quit stocking products and companies stop making them when the government effectively banned their production and sale, as they did by setting efficiency standards which normal incandescent bulbs could not meet.  This mostly applied to 100 watt to 40 watt household bulbs.

Lack of consumer demand for these items did not cause their demise, as you seem to suggest.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

A couple years ago, the local hardware store had rough service 100w bulbs cheap.  I bought all they had for use around the shop in trouble lamps and to use for a heat source (thaw water pipes, etc.).  But, I also use fluorescents in trouble lamps in warmer months. 

They all have their place, and it's not every place.  For general lighting, I lean towards led's.  The instant "on", and quality of light are big points for me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

"that i had to turn on the light and return 10-15 min latter just to have enough light to see things. no instant light, started off very dim"

That sounds like compact fluorescent, not LED.   

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Stores also quit stocking products and companies stop making them when the government effectively banned their production and sale, as they did by setting efficiency standards which normal incandescent bulbs could not meet.  This mostly applied to 100 watt to 40 watt household bulbs.

Lack of consumer demand for these items did not cause their demise, as you seem to suggest.

So you advocate going back to energy inefficient appliances, going back to leaded gasoline, going back to no seat belts,  going back to burning high sulfur coal in plants with no exhaust filtration?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

So you advocate going back to energy inefficient appliances, going back to leaded gasoline, going back to no seat belts,  going back to burning high sulfur coal in plants with no exhaust filtration?  

Complaining about new products is usually about one thing: money.  That, and if the government mandates it, then it's some horrible abuse of our "freedoms". 

I have all LEDs in the RV and house, and never had to replace them.  The usual reason they burn up is that your converter puts out too much voltage for the cheap ones, which people usually buy because everything is about money. 

There's something suspicious about mr packnrat's tale.

Edited by hemsteadc

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I changed to LED lighting in our RV first because it gives so much more light with less drain on our batteries. We have now gone to LED lights in our house because they use so much less electricity and so lower my electric bill. Stores stop stocking products and companies stop making them when sales of that product become very slow. Have you tried to buy a new typewriter lately? 

yes i have. only one model out there and it is a junk trash unit.

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

There are very few things that change for only 1 single reason. Yet time marches on and technology continues to change the way we live. Government actions may slow or speed up those changes, but change is inevitable. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Barbara, I'm amazed at how you interpret my posts sometimes.  How the heck did you get that from what I posted?  I've replaced all my light fixtures and bulbs with LED's.  I love LED's.  I was simply pointing out to Kirk that it wasn't a consumer choice which stopped incandescent bulbs from being on the shelves at retail stores.  Consumers, like old people, don't particularly like change, so it sometimes has to be forced upon them.................as in this case and the ones you described.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

Complaining about new products is usually about one thing: money.  That, and if the government mandates it, then it's some horrible abuse of our "freedoms". 

I have all LEDs in the RV and house, and never had to replace them.  The usual reason they burn up is that your converter puts out too much voltage for the cheap ones, which people usually buy because everything is about money. 

There's something suspicious about mr packnrat's tale.

no nothing "suspicious" here.

in my rv i have had no problems with incandescent bulbs they last no problems for me. only ac power to the coach is via the plug at home, or a (now sold off) honda eu 2000, now own a honda eu 3000. it is now 2019 dec. i bought this rv new in june of 2001. and only had two problems with inside lights in all this time, the clearance lights outside are falling apart, plastic degrading.

i forget the converter manf but could see if it is bad, stop by here and test it for me.

in the s-n-b house, is where my bad luck with leds has taken place. and all that juice comes from pg&e.

i am trying to reuse a older home depot contractor gen for emg home use. just last week got it started up,  but it is so () loud. might just sell it off and use the honda eu 3000 for emg use at home, as the governor has threatened to cut off our juice again.

as to "cheap" leds. no such thing. they are all over priced. but i buy whats on the shelf at the big box hardware stores, and only if i know the brand name on the box.  i try to avoid wally wourld.

When I first bought my used MH, a 1999 model it still had the old sealed beam type bulbs. They produced so little light for my aging eyes that I would over drive my headlights, often missing turns, running over items in the road that should have been avoided and such, making it unsafe unless I slowed to a crawl at night, which is in itself unsafe.

I looked on the internet and found these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G31B13L/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

They have good color temperature (a little blue but not too bad - more white than blue) and an 80,000 hr life so for about $20 each, (I needed 4) they are super affordable too. BTW they make better ones but at a much higher price. And the amount of light produced is incredible for a DOT approved light (important if you don't want a ticket, as non DOT lights and light bars are for off road use only.) On low beam, only the lower row and one middle emitter on 2 of the 4 lights light up to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and keep them legal. But because they use the new high-efficiency Phillips 4 watt LEDs (most use 3 watt emitters) that's still 8,000 lumens)! For comparison my old sealed beam bulbs produced about 800 lumens each or 1,600 lumens for a pair. That means that the new LED headlights are 5 times brighter than the old ones, yet only draw 1/2 the power. On high beam, they are the brightest headlights I've ever seen - much brighter than even HID bulbs at an incredible 26,000 lumens for all 4.

As a boondocker, I replaced all my internal lights with LEDs as well. I learned right away that there is a huge difference between the quality of LEDs. The cheap ones using a multitude of cheap, low output LED emitters are basically junk. Some are bad out the box and others fail quickly. Spend a couple dollars more and get the newer bulbs that have fewer, higher output emitters. They put out more light using less watts and I've haven't had one fail yet. 

For instance, the light output and overall quality of these are amazing (600 lumens) for 2 watts of power draw. Two color temperatures are available if you prefer a warmer, yellower light, but I find 4,000k perfect for reading.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9D2VQ6/ref=psdc_11439433011_t2_B01H1S5512

They even sell 3 watt (800 lumen) bulbs like these, but I think that's overkill.

Chip

Edited by sushidog

42 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

There are very few things that change for only 1 single reason. Yet time marches on and technology continues to change the way we live. Government actions may slow or speed up those changes, but change is inevitable. 

I agree Kirk.  However, your analogy was totally inaccurate.  Typewriters no longer are on retail stores because there is no longer a market for them.  The rapid development of computer technology made them obsolete.  To my knowledge, there is no government mandate nor prohibition of typewriters.

LED light has been around for 57 years, yet until government intervention some 10-15 years ago, LED lighting was a niche market.  Now, it is the mainstream.  I have no doubt that if the government hadn't stepped in, household incandescent bulbs would still dominate the market in the USA.

And without government mandate seat belts would be an expensive add-on and other safety items would never have gotten off the ground.  Without government regulation, think what we would all be paying for in terms of lung cancer deaths.  Or drunk driving deaths.  Sometimes we have to mandate that people change their habits in order for everyone to be safer.   Or would you rather have lead in your drinking water pipes?   Setting standards has opened the door to new ways of doing things, new industries, with each leading to new ways of thinking and the promise of further development of the human potential.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

"that i had to turn on the light and return 10-15 min latter just to have enough light to see things. no instant light, started off very dim"

That sounds like compact fluorescent, not LED.   

no they were leds. i refuse to buy mercury vapor for use in the house.

Edited by packnrat

11 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

And without government mandate seat belts would be an expensive add-on and other safety items would never have gotten off the ground.  Without government regulation, think what we would all be paying for in terms of lung cancer deaths.  Or drunk driving deaths.  Sometimes we have to mandate that people change their habits in order for everyone to be safer.   Or would you rather have lead in your drinking water pipes?   Setting standards has opened the door to new ways of doing things, new industries, with each leading to new ways of thinking and the promise of further development of the human potential.   

my mom did not have money back in the 60's when she bought a car, she paid extra to have seat belts, but they were not expensive (cost $ to me unknown), and in the late 60,s they were stock items before the feds did anything.  so some things were going out (or in) before the government got involved in peoples lives.

sure some regs are good, not debating this, but there is a point of over control.

and we are still paying for lung cancer. tobacco (smoked and chewed) has not been banned, now these E- smokes and pot is now legal. just more cancer death for this government allowed products.

i am of the FREE market, let people decide where there money goes, not a nanny state government tell you what to think, or do.

There are cheap poorly made LED bulbs, but they are rare today. I use LEDs for my cars, all household lights, and all my flashlights. We just moved but our last house had ten ceiling 65 watt floodlights.  when we turned them on that was 650 Watts of use. The LED replacements were 10 watts each and they used 100 watts, a reduction of 550 watts of electricity. They were there with only one failure for five years. We also replaced all the other bulbs in the house. The master bath had 7 bulbs, six over the two sinks of 40 watts, and one 60watt ceiling bulb = 300 watts. We replaced with six 40 watt equivalent four watt leds and the ceiling 60 watt equivalent bulb was 9 watts = 29 watts. There was a big reduction in our electric bill after changing our outside and all inside lights. Those for examples we had LEDs in the spare bath, the mud and laundry room, the outside lights on the house and workshop, every bulb was LED except my Eight foot workshop lights which were left fluorescent. Amazing!

I am now going to use the LED workshop four foot LEDs in my new place's basement and small workshop storage building.

As for the dislike of the blue coloring, every LED has a color rating they express in Kelvin units (k). 

rpM2QUrl.png

So as you can see 2700k color temp is softer yellower light and 5000k to 6500k are the bluish irritating to me lights. For us 2700k to 3000k is perfect soft white color for us. My wife thought the bluer colors were brighter, but after a few years would not switch.

LED bulbs can last from ten years to 22 years despite only having five year warranties or so. Here is a good page for bulb selection that also shows the numbers for each shape bulb and base:

https://www.energyearth.com/general/categories/lighting/learn-more

Hope that helps!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire