LED replacement bulbs

scouserl41

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed all the halogen bulbs in the MH last year, they get too hot.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

i will stick with my normal bulbs till they burn out. (decades from now). as the anti green leds are way over priced. --$25,usd ver $0.50 cents. vanity blub in my rv.--

(i say anti green as nothing in a led is recyclable, but everything in a incandescent bulb is).

as i have never had a electric supply problem running reg light bulbs. so at least for me there is no reason to drop $100.usd or more just for "change".

5 hours ago, packnrat said:

the anti green leds are way over priced. --$25,usd ver $0.50 cents. vanity bulb in my rv.--

With all due respect, we've replaced every single light in our MH with LEDs and I've yet to pay more than a couple of dollars each, at most.  I recently replaced the halogen in our over-the-range GE microwave/convection oven.  A year or so GE advised me that no suitable LED substitute existed--not so this year.  The bulb I bought cost $3 and provides nearly as much light as the hot, 50W halogen it replaced and works without flicker even on the "low intensity" setting.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

With all due respect, we've replaced every single light in our MH with LEDs and I've yet to pay more than a couple of dollars each, at most.  I recently replaced the halogen in our over-the-range GE microwave/convection oven.  A year or so GE advised me that no suitable LED substitute existed--not so this year.  The bulb I bought cost $3 and provides nearly as much light as the hot, 50W halogen it replaced and works without flicker even on the "low intensity" setting.

Yes, in many cases cheaper than regular bulbs, and normally draws less than 1/8 the amperage of an incandescent for the same lumens. I have 60 g4 puck lights in my coach, and I replaced them all for about $22. And as you say a lot less heat and a lot less power used. If all on, incandescent 600 watts, with led, 90 watts. Works out to about 36 cents per bulb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-4000K-Warm-White-G4-LED-5050-DC-12V-Landscaping-Bulb-lights-Home-Lamps/301311785979?hash=item462794fbfb&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAA

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

i am not sold on led's. sure they use a little less juice, and put out light in the wrong color spectrum, so just looks like more light some times,  then the new headlights on cars and trucks, hurt my eyes.

and the ones i looked at to replace my very usable ones are very costly.  as to longevity. i say hog wash as i see so many of them out at traffic lights, and they have to be replaced a lot on the rigs at work. (outside and inside lights).

in my 5er, the bulbs are a good 18 years old (maybe longer due to warehousing time). rv new in 2001.  so i still have lots of time on them.

only one "burned" but it was the connector that failed, and the vanity it was the glue not the bulb that failed.

but i do have this box of running lights (red-amber) that are leds, as the cheap ones from the factory, the lens, bases are cracking apart, falling off the coach  and letting water in.

reg dot commercial lights are made better. yes still plastic, but twice as thick. replacing these due to many fails of the plastic lens, O and i can get replacement lens and parts almost everywhere. but i am saving the bulbs for use inside, if any, ever do burn out.

i am 60, and at the rate they are working and lasting me, i will be long gone and forgotten before i run out of them.

but then if/when i buy a new rv, it will be all leds from the start...maybe.

Edited by packnrat

i am not sold on led's. sure they use a little less juice, and put out light in the wrong color spectrum, so just looks like more light some times,  then the new headlights on cars and trucks, hurt my eyes.

Although I doubt this is going to change your opinion, but, as jcussen already noted, LEDs use roughly 1/8 the energy of incandescent bulbs so it's not just "a little less juice."  Furthermore the "color temperature" of the light produced by LEDs is quite controllable.  There are plenty of "warm white" bulbs available these days that you are hard-pressed to tell aren't incandescents with respect to the light spectrum they provide. As for the LEDs used for car headlights, yes, automakers do use LEDs that produce blue-white light because those are the most energy efficient and least expensive to produce.

as to longevity. i say hog wash as i see so many of them out at traffic lights, and they have to be replaced a lot on the rigs at work. (outside and inside lights).

Yes, you do see traffic lights with unlit LEDs, but that could be caused by manufacturing failures as well as burnout.  The attached article from the Department of Energy estimates that high power white LEDs will last 30,000-50,000 hours which is far longer than the lifetime of any alternative light source..  However, it should be noted that 50,000 hours represents "only" 5.7 years of continuous use  so you could, in fact, be seeing traffic lights experiencing LED failure because they have reach their design lifetimes.  If you'd like to read the article you can find it here:  Lifetime of white LEDs

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE LED's in my RV, have replaced all the old incandescent and wouldn't go back !!!! If you shop on Amazon or E Bay or any of the other thousands of sources you can find them in the Lumen and Kelvin temperature rating and the price and quality of your choice SO INEXPENSIVE. As an electrical engineer I like the fact they use sooooooooooo much less energy, more light per watt, and produce so much less heat.

HOWEVER I  believe each should use what they please and what works best for them  be it incandescent or halogen or sodium or LED ….

John T 

On 11/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, packnrat said:

(i say anti green as nothing in a led is recyclable, but everything in a incandescent bulb is).

Moot point.  I've never heard of anyone recycling light bulbs.

I've replaced a few lights w/ led's.  The fixtures in the shop made a huge difference. I put all led's on the truck bed when I built it, and have converted a few tractor lights to led too.  The price is coming down dramatically.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 11/27/2019 at 1:45 AM, packnrat said:

if they are coming out with these crazy hot lights, then i will repay in kind with my off road flood lights,  and mine are far brighter.

not good for the factory to build headlights that blind oncoming traffic.

IMO factory LED headlamps do not blind oncoming traffic, it's the after-market replacement LED bulbs in incandescent headlamp assemblies that blind me, and everyone else that's meeting the  vehicle. The old incandescent reflectors are not designed for the LED bulbs.

Our Lincoln MKX had OEM LED headlamps, when I pulled up to our white garage door there was a definitive line where the illumination stopped, no beam scatter whatsoever. There was no reflection off the white door to catch my eyes either.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I've replaced a few lights w/ led's.  The fixtures in the shop made a huge difference. I put all led's on the truck bed when I built it, and have converted a few tractor lights to led too.  The price is coming down dramatically.

I took a box of the old spiral-type bulbs to the recycle center, they told me to put them in my trash basket, as there was no one to send them too. BTW those have a small amount of mercury in them, just like tubular florescent bulbs.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:37 AM, rickeieio said:

the earth recycles them.

it is not a forced human thing, just “if” the item was just tossed onto the ground.

plastic will be there for ever and ten days. 

glass and tin will be reduced back the native elements.

Glass will NEVER decompose. while plastics do, but some do it very slowly.  Tin is an element, thus it will degrade, but never decompose.

Regardless, both conventional and led's take up space in landfills, but led's will take up far less.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

i never said "decompose". needs to be organic to decompose.

but glass is only refined and melted sand. plastic does not decompose. or return to its native elements. sure weather can erode it to plastic dust. but that is not a nat element.

and everything non food (organic) stuffs, just buried under ground will tend to stay that way for a very long time, as in many human life times.

glass is very durable that way, but in the open, or in a river setting it will erode over time, and return to its sand beginnings.

to me what happens in the end to the product mtr is the answer. not how long it will last.

no i am not one of tho's environmental nut cases. just for me less garbage is better.

i can not remember the last time i placed a normal light bulb in the trash. but i have dumped a number of leds in the trash in the past couple of years. (home use stuff).

i always smash the glass bulbs.

mercury vapor, in the house i avoid like the plague. yes i have some tubes in the garage. have had them for many years. never a problem as long as the glass is not broken. but nothing worth it to replace them with. but the price has gone up to way over board. so in the future? if they ever burn out.

Edited by packnrat

8 hours ago, packnrat said:

glass is very durable that way, but in the open, or in a river setting it will erode over time, and return to its sand beginnings.

With all due respect, it's my understanding that even when glass breaks into tiny shards it retains its "glass-like" vitreous character. Yes, it starts life as sand but it doesn't become sand ever again.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Packrat, would you please give me the link for your statement:

Because as a chemist/chemical engineer I want to see the research on this  phenomena.  Yes, there are sands than contain volcanic glass, but under the microscope those are glass bits, not sand grains.  Now, if you use pressure and heat, say in a volcano, then you would form magma, which might flow out as molten rock which when cooled, would go through erosion and finally become sand (and sand is different all over the world).   And the type of sand would depend upon the types of other minerals beside SiO2 in the magma, which is dependent upon the place on the mantel that the hotspot occurs.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 hours ago, packnrat said:

and if leds are so great, why did the government ban the making and importation of normal incandescent bulbs?

Because people in the USA would continue buy them because they are cheaper even if they harm the environment in the long run.   That's what being scientifically illiteracy does to a country.    Short-term, what's in it for me versus long-term, what is good for everyone on the planet in the coming centuries.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

i never said "decompose". needs to be organic to decompose.

but glass is only refined and melted sand. plastic does not decompose. or return to its native elements. sure weather can erode it to plastic dust. but that is not a nat element.  .........

Actually there are microbes that 'eat' plastics and some engineered enzymes that break down plastic into shorter chains that bacteria/fungi can use.   This is a very hot area of research - we have a friend involved in some of the engineered enzymes, very intriguing.   

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 hours ago, packnrat said:

and if leds are so great, why did the government ban the making and importation of normal incandescent bulbs?

With all due respect, incandescent light bulbs haven't been banned.  What has happened is that the government has imposed an efficiency standard similar to what was done for home air conditioners, automobiles and lots of other things.  I've provided an article which explains the issue in more detail:  Incandescent lights haven't been banned

There's a lot of misinformation spread on the internet by people who want to make a political statement out of something like this.  It usually doesn't take all that much effort to get to the truth.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador