OT: Slide Topper Dometic

SuiteSuccess

Previous post about slide topper issue.  Took off and repaired.  Found spring retention bracket (torsion spring) is plastic and failed.  Had to replace whole torsion assembly.  They don’t just sell the $5 plastic part.  (Go figure).  Anyway found instructions on number of turns in spring (13) but no info whether slide should be fully extended, fully retracted, or partially extended before making the turns?  Any help?  Called Dometic and let’s just say they were not very helpful.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have replaced all my slide toppers and with them fullily extended, wound them 13 times. I have had no billowing issue in over 2600 miles. Remember that plastic retention bracket, if you started with the slide in how much more strain is placed on it when you extended the slide.

Dave

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

I’m with the retracted position to charge the spring. But I speak from no practical  experience, only my theory. As Einstein was quoted, “In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they’re not”.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

4 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

I’m with the retracted position to charge the spring. But I speak from no practical  experience, only my theory. As Einstein was quoted, “In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they’re not”.

Just so I’m thinking this through clearly.  The spring is going to want to “unwind” as the slide extends.  That would be it’s natural state.  Since it is fixed to the slide, retraction of the slide would “rewind” it.  Correct?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I replaced my big awning motor the spring was wound with the slide retracted. Looking at the AE Topper instructions it appears that all work is done with the slide room in the retracted position. In fact, in the instruction sheet the assumption is that the topper is off of the slide and wound on a bench, pinned, and then installed onto the slide room. So if the topper is not removed I would still wind the prescribed number of turns with the slide in. 

AE Topper Instructions

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

31 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

When I replaced my big awning motor the spring was wound with the slide retracted. Looking at the AE Topper instructions it appears that all work is done with the slide room in the retracted position. In fact, in the instruction sheet the assumption is that the topper is off of the slide and wound on a bench, pinned, and then installed onto the slide room. So if the topper is not removed I would still wind the prescribed number of turns with the slide in. 

AE Topper Instructions

Thanks.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, scubadave said:

I have replaced all my slide toppers and with them fullily extended, wound them 13 times. I have had no billowing issue in over 2600 miles. Remember that plastic retention bracket, if you started with the slide in how much more strain is placed on it when you extended the slide.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  It’s my impression that the spring unwinds as the slide extends.  Am I wrong?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

The spring tension increases as the slide goes out. Decreases as the slide comes back in. The 13 turns is preloading the spring to maintain enough tension, while in, to prevent billowing from the wind. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

The spring tension increases as the slide goes out. Decreases as the slide comes back in. The 13 turns is preloading the spring to maintain enough tension, while in, to prevent billowing from the wind. 

Great thanks Darryl.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

As an old RV Tech I can tell you after doing MANY of these - yes those turns are in the retract position (well really 6 inches out - because that is where/how you remove and replace the roller tube).  Just be careful, the topper is not as bad as the patio awnings, many DIY RVers have hurt themselves working on awnings in the fully extended position.

Mark

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

1 hour ago, COFLTravler said:

As an old RV Tech I can tell you after doing MANY of these - yes those turns are in the retract position (well really 6 inches out - because that is where/how you remove and replace the roller tube).  Just be careful, the topper is not as bad as the patio awnings, many DIY RVers have hurt themselves working on awnings in the fully extended position.

Mark

Thanks Mark.  Talked with RVs For Less here in Knoxville.  They agree with you.  I have replaced several garage door springs and can assure you “stored” energy is dangerous.  I always approach from the side of the spring, not the front.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

11 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

So what did you end up doing?  Extended or retracted?  How did it turn out?  Results may be helpful to someone else in the same bind.

Just got finished.  13 turns, secured with cotter pin both ends. Slide retracted.  Tough reinstall with my 5’2”  wife fully extended on a ladder trying to hold up an end while I threaded fabric.  Should mention position of hexagonal bar in the bracket is important to get enough “stand off” from slide.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3