Diesel: Algaecide before parking a few months?

GR "Scott" Cundiff

It will not harm anything to add Biobor to your fuel tank; however the best protection from condensation forming is to always buy fuel from a high-turnover station(when no tanker is unloading) to lessen the odds of buying water contaminated diesel fuel. Always top off your fuel tank just prior to extended parking periods. This greatly reduces the empty space for the heating/cooling of air space to condense moisture out of the air. Since algae only grows at the interface of water and diesel fuel, when water is absent so is the chance of algae problems.

Truck stops cannot afford to risk causing fuel problems for trucking companies, it would put them out of business rather quickly. That's where I buy diesel fuel.

During my lifetime I have never had an algae problem, either in my farm tractors or diesel trucks, some of those diesel tractors were un-started all winter. Farmers combines sit from this harvest season to next years harvest season, I've never talked to one of these large farmers who had an algae problem

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Edit: with all the endorsements of Biobor JF - plus needing to order some other stuff from Amazon - plus discovering a reasonably close Amazon locker - I decided to go with the recommended Biobor.

Thanks to all for the input on this.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I just ordered a pint of Biobor from Amazon.  We live in Coastal TX and it's always humid.  Since I don't want to move the coach right now, 'm going to buy a 5 gal jerry can and add the Biobor to a couple of gallons of fuel.  I always worry that the small amount of Biobor needed for my 100 gal tank will evaporate before it gets into the tank if I don't mix it with a larger quantity of fuel.  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Docj, I've spent lots of time not moving in Florida, North Georgia and Texas near Houston; all were high humidity. Since I got this rig in 2013 I've been adding the maintenance dose of Biobor with each fill up and I haven't had any problem with algae. Beware that if there's a big kill of exising algae you could plug up fuel filters.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

4 minutes ago, jbh said:

Beware that if there's a big kill of exising algae you could plug up fuel filters.

We drove >6,000 miles this summer and the last fill-up is only ~6 weeks old.  I wouldn't expect there to be too much algae in it at this point.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...

We fill the tank just before we arrive at the campground, no matter whether we're staying for one night or a few months. The only exception is if the trip that day is quite short, like today.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

To follow up - I called the Biodor company and asked about our scenario.  The guy said it should work for us, no problem.  So, I will treat the full tank here in the campground, drive around 100 miles and then top off before making the longer landing.  According to the manufacturer the Biodor should be able to do it's thing.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

2 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

According to the manufacturer the Biodor should be able to do it's thing.

Did you expect a manufacturer to say anything else? :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

FWIW, all diesel fuel today contains a minimum of 2% biodiesel, unless the retailer informs you of what alternative  chemical was used to replace the lost lubricity during the refining process. If there is nothing in that diesel fuel to replace lost lubricity, plan on replacing an engine in the future.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961