RTT small solar system...My Way

I recently answered another post where a reader was asking about simple, inexpensive solar. I responded and thought maybe it would be helpful over here:

Athough this system is being used in a Rooftop Tent, it would be applicable to any small travel trailer or camper...

I recently bought a small system to be used with my new Rooftop Tent.
My existing toy hauler trailer has all top shelf equipment.

http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/solar-install-grey-wolf-19rr-toy-hauler.html

But I didn't want to spend that much on the RTT system. A whole bunch of research and here is what I bought:

ECO Worthy 120W 12V foldable panels (Ebay $150) These will be used in portable deploy to take full advantage of the sun location
ECO Worthy 10w X 2 solar panels (Amazon $21 each) These will be permanently mounted on the camper cap on the truck to maintain the battery
PowMr 40A Charge Controller (Amazon $20) See my article on portable solar on my web page about this unit ... www.rvbprecision.com
Weize 12V 100AH AGM Deep Cycle battery (Amazon $160)
AiLi Battery Monitor (Amazon $43) Great reviews and tells me absolutely everything I need to know about the system
8Ga Welding Cables, 25' Red/25'Black (Amazon $42)
Misc connectors, fuses etc ($20)

Total $477

The plan is a battery box containing all the distribution, battery and controllers. Easily secured in the truck for long term use and removable for winter storage and/or other use.
I do not want to tie into the trucks electrical system as I'm concerned about tapping off the alternator causing issues with the computer. (2018 Ram 2500 6.4L gas)
Simple buss panel in the RTT for lights, USB charging, fan etc...connected by one 10g connecting cable with quick disconnect to the portable battery box.

I have been using the ECO portable panels and the PowMr solar controller in the Toy Hauler. The ECO Worth panels were a gamble, but they have been working great as additional solar gain to the 420w I have on the roof. A few friends have also bought the same panels and are very pleased with performance.

http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/adding-more-solar-to-existing-system-portable-panels.html

The Weize battery is also a gamble. But it was the least expensive, AGM / 100AH battery I could find. In my trailer I have two Group 31 AGM Duracell batteries. Sourced from Sam's Club over 5 years ago. The trailer has over 50,000 miles and I spend three months a year in NM/AZ and just about every other weekend at various events. I've turned the generators on four times in 5 years. Only for AC and wife's hair dryer. 2000w Inverter, for Coffee(Keurig) and Toast, 12V for Computers, TV(2) , cell boosters, etc are going all the time. Batteries have never been below 70%....Still going strong. At the time of purchase they were $160 each. Smok'n deal!

Hope this helps!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com