Traveling with Firearms

Fireguykd

You need to continually update your info as the laws are constantly changing.  Each state has different requirements.  If you have a carry permit, you need to check reciprocity and the laws specific to a state you are traversing.

This is a good source of information and protection

US Law Shield

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Call each state and ask specific questions, laws change frequently, websites,books and pamphlets often contain incorrect information and are often at least a year old by the time consumers receive a  copy. Ignorance of a law is no excuse, however that booklet Gun laws of 50 states might mitigate the circumstances if you have it in-hand.

Years ago there was a push to pass a federal CC law, but states rights trumped all attempts for such a federal law.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We use handgunlaws us they are fairly good at being up to date if in any doubt call the State in question. We have a  Ohio permit that is not honored in 11 states  California included. we have been all over California. The permit not being honored does not keep us from going were we chose  to go. California and others have strict laws regarding bringing in Exotic birds. We have both.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I suppose you can revert to carrying an "antique" pistol, they are exempt from federal firearms laws. Years ago when the outbreak  of rocks being thrown off interstate overpass's was widespread, OTR truckers discovered this exemption and began carrying muzzle-loading pistols. After a few throwers got shot in MN the rock throwing quickly declined.

That's how I remember listening to the national news anyway.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Traveling with firearm is like traveling with anything else adhere to the various laws and you will be good.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It's important to know the laws I'll be violating in order to stay protected.  When I go to CA I lock the underseat gun storage box, and stash the key.  Nobody is going to be searching the vehicle in without probable cause.  I was surprised to see that a few Southern states also have laws prohibiting carry in a vehicle.  The RV is considered a home and you can freely keep it there in most states, minus any magazines that violate capacity restrictions in some states.  I keep a Glock 27 in the tow vehicle and a tiny 38 in the trailer.

I like the idea of the muzzleloader, I have a black powder revolver.  I need to see if CA still considers that a firearm.

I will tell people that I do have a carry permit, but I also add that they do not need to know if I am carrying....unless they are law enforcement.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

ca is not that bad, but never ask the doj about any law. as they are the worst to let you know the truth.

best to go to          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

but in a nut shell.

all pistols or any gun that can be concealed on your person, must be unloaded and locked up.

yes loaded mags can be in the same place as the pistol.

lock is defined as what any reasonable person would know as a combo or pad lock. hard or soft case.

can not use the glove box or center console for this.

NEVER bring in any mag that can hold more than 10 rounds.

then the so called "safe gun" list.. it changes.

no law says you have to tell the officer about a gun on you, or in your ca,truck,etc. just say i have nothing illegal on me. but they do the "just cause" searches all the time. --holds up in court--

Edited by packnrat
link

Not so bad...LOL.  I don't have sub-10 mags for some guns.  I carry in case there's a threat to our lives, so unloaded guns are like fire extinguishers with padlocks on the discharge handle.  I carry in a lockable under-seat storage tray, unlocked while driving.  Now it has to be locked.  And I'm not sure I'd be safe as some cop could equate that with "center console or glove compartment" if he wanted to.  None of my handguns are on the CA roster...though that seems to mean they can't be sold as new in CA, but you can possess.  I think.  I have one rifle that is CA legal, but I'm pretty sure none of the others are.

I know, I know.

a unloaded gun is just a rock.

i have been stuck here in ca all my life, so i just know as normal. 

but as long as no interaction with the police all is good. but a bolted down lockable storage is legal here. just the law states "glove box, and center console".

the so called "safe gun list" is just a farce, if a manf did not want to spend the cash decades back for each pistol and mod, then it failed the "test" even if one modal was in black, another in chrome. a third in cameo. but all made the same other than color.  each line had to buy into this garbage. now NO gun can be added till two different company's offer the electronic anti use tech in that line of pistol.

so s&w has to build the pistol, but company's X and Z product must be build in there product at s&w factory. (customer gets choice of whose anti gun tech to buy).

On 11/1/2019 at 7:55 PM, Ray,IN said:

Call each state and ask specific questions, laws change frequently, websites,books and pamphlets often contain incorrect information and are often at least a year old by the time consumers receive a  copy. Ignorance of a law is no excuse, however that booklet Gun laws of 50 states might mitigate the circumstances if you have it in-hand.

Years ago there was a push to pass a federal CC law, but states rights trumped all attempts for such a federal law.

Call each state? who you going to call?

Edited by kurtsara

Contacting each state's bureau of firearms is the absolute authority. If you wish  this individual state's listing also contains each state's regulations/statutes for reference. However, no-one can claim ignorance of the law because they referenced an internet webpage.

sad to say but in ca the doj is know to give bad info, and they are the ones who will come after you for violating there rules.

so it is not always best to believe even the states enforcement body. i can not say how "other" states handle this, but here the laws and reading of such change all the time. or they are misinformed. (the government employees that is).

best source for info in ca is through the         https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php        web site.

this site does not clam to be a lawyer, but many pro freedom lawyers are monitors there or can get you to the correct source of info or lawyer for your needs.

Before I retired and went full time 8 years ago I was a Defense Lawyer in Calif. The law then, and I don’t think it has changed, is that if you do NOT have a permit to carry concealed, any handgun in a vehicle must be unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove box or center consel. This was ony for hand guns. Long guns still needed to be unloaded but did not have to be in a locked container. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

as i know it, (never been a lawyer) that still holds true. but not sure if that included "any other gun that can be hidden on the body" or if that is just about carry.

the new occupant of the governors office in sac, just signed a bunch of new anti freedom laws, his belief is any restriction on the public is good. 

and not just in dealing with firearms.

Edited by packnrat

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Carlos said:

We camped in Prescott this weekend with our CA refugee friends.  They live in the forest and about half their neighbors are also CA refugees.  Our friend carries 24x7 right now...because he can.

What is a CA refugee????