Mobley died. Now what?

We were fulltimers for nearly 12 years.  I picked up a Mobley when it was available with the unlimited car connect plan.  Last year we bought a house but kept the plan because it was so valuable. We hadn't used the Mobley for a while.  When I got it back out it seemed to work fine.  It did do an update and we started getting the 2 hour shutdown, but we could live with that.  We are now on a trip in our RV.  It worked fine for about a month and then suddenly stopped.  Now the power light comes on but the other light won't come on at all.  I know some folks have moved the sim card to another device.  Is that still doable?  Which device and how do you do that?  Detailed instructions please because I am not that up on technology. Thanks for any advice.

I use the same 815S as JC, but I suggest checking with AT&T customer service first. Or an AT&T company store if there's one nearby. My service quit early last summer with the same symptom when I put the SIM back in the Mobley, and the phone CS rep determined the SIM had failed. They offered to ship a new one to me, but I opted to visit a nearby AT&T store instead. I was back online a couple of hours later, and there was no charge for the new SIM or the activation service. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I went to two different AT&T stores.  The first one didn't have a clue what they were looking at and they said they had no way to test the sim card.  So I went to another AT&T store.  She pulled up the account and said the sim card was good because it would show an error on my account if it went bad.  I am not sure I believe that.  Anyway they were no help.  The second store recommended that I call customer service and get the device replaced.  I explained that it isn't made anymore but she assured me that they have some in stock and would replace it.  

I will call customer service today but I am really disappointed they weren't more help.  I hate to give up this plan but I can't pay $20/month for nothing.  I think they are just trying to get everyone off the plan by refusing to help them.

Well, I called customer service. They transferred me to Connected Car customer service. They told me they couldn’t offer any help with the Mobley. They told me to call ZTE. ZTE couldn’t help me because I couldn’t connect to the Mobley. They did offer to test the out of warranty device for $69, but I declined.  I called Att customer service back and asked for the PUK codes so I could try another device and they would not give them to me.  I guess I will just have to give up the plan. I don’t know what else to do. I am very disappointed with ATT.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, abgraham85 said:

Well, I called customer service. They transferred me to Connected Car customer service. They told me they couldn’t offer any help with the Mobley. They told me to call ZTE. ZTE couldn’t help me because I couldn’t connect to the Mobley. They did offer to test the out of warranty device for $69, but I declined.  I called Att customer service back and asked for the PUK codes so I could try another device and they would not give them to me.  I guess I will just have to give up the plan. I don’t know what else to do. I am very disappointed with ATT.

Try again.  Some reps won't give them out, others will.  As Koidiak Jack noted, you may not need them but they are good to have if your SIM move locks you out.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I got the PUK1 and 2 codes from AT&T via live chat and moved my SIM out of the Mobley and into a Pepwave BR1 MK2 LTE-A router. Works great. So if your Mobley died but the SIM still works you can try to move it but you may need a mobley (borrow one?) to put your SIM into to get the procedure to work which requires you to set a PIN code on the sim. 

Neal
2017 Newmar Ventana 4037 - 1800W Solar - HWH Active Air
2017 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox and Air Force One
https://rvforums.com

1 hour ago, NealC said:

So if your Mobley died but the SIM still works you can try to move it but you may need a mobley (borrow one?) to put your SIM into to get the procedure to work which requires you to set a PIN code on the sim. 

Actually, you can set the pin code on the sim using any device that has that capability.  I used my Unite Explore, others have used their phone.  Once you set a new pin, then disable the pin requirement and you can put the sim in any device that it'll work in.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

21 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Actually, you can set the pin code on the sim using any device that has that capability.  I used my Unite Explore, others have used their phone.  Once you set a new pin, then disable the pin requirement and you can put the sim in any device that it'll work in.

Thank you.  I did not know I could turn off the pin on the Unite Explorer and now I knew I could.  I did a web search and no longer need a pin.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure the move is to another hotspot device, not a tablet or phone. AT&T gets really upset when you try to use the SIM out of its hotspot class. The only times I've heard of anyone having a Connected Car account canceled was when they made an "out of class" SIM move...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 9:14 AM, vermilye said:

While it obviously won't help if your SIM died, I moved my Mobley SIM to a Nighthawk.  I'm using it for this post.   I did call AT&T to get the PUK codes when I made the change.  Here is a tutorial.

I have called ATT several times to get the PUK code with no luck.   Can I login to my Mobley via a browser?  If so how?

Any other way to get the PUK code?   Thx

Bukzin

1977 GMC Palm Beach

17 hours ago, bukzin said:

I have called ATT several times to get the PUK code with no luck.   Can I login to my Mobley via a browser?  If so how?

Any other way to get the PUK code?   Thx

You can log on to your Mobley with a browser - try 192.168.1.1 for the url, but it won't give you the PUK..

As far as I know, the only way to get PUK codes is from an AT&T rep.  While I was lucky & was given them by the first rep I talked to, others have had to try a bunch of times.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys