Pulled the trigger and Full Timing it

Made the leap.  Time has come where I was tired of increasing property taxes, home maintenance, HOA's not working and so on.  Sold home and bought an F350 and new North Point.  Took a couple of weeks to adjust but I'm really liking it so far.  Any tips I'd like to hear.  Thanks

Jay.jpg

Since you are staying stationary you might want to invest in some tire covers - they will tend to age out anyway, but if you can protect them from UV you might be able to use them when you do start moving.

If I were going to be stationary I would install a PVC sewer pipe rather than the rinoflex, etc. The sun will work on the "slinky stinky" too. PVC will be trouble free.

One of our first installs was a R/O water system - we had one in the house and wanted one in the RV.

Be sure you have fire extinguishers on board - we have three.

Depending on where you are, you might want to lease a big propane tank.

We added an Oxygenics shower head - much better than the one that came in the rig.

We also added a memory foam mattress topper - even with a brand new mattress the memory foam is an improvement.

Hope this helps.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

5 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Do you plan to start to travel more in the future or will you be tied to a fixed job location? There is a growing population of members who work from the road. 

So far I’ll be permanent at my location which is in McKinney TX.  North suburb of DFW.  I found a new RV park just 20 miles from my office, Good Shepherd RV Park.  Not to say my employer could want me to move, if I wanted.  I do like the fact I’m no longer tied down owning a home.  So I’m certainly open to travel as time goes on.

20 minutes ago, Gabe1105 said:

So far I’ll be permanent at my location which is in McKinney TX.

We are in Mesquite, but not living in the RV. We traveled for almost 12 years and still miss it. The weather here does get cold enough that you will want to skirt the RV to keep the cold winds out from under it and you need to have your water supply well insulated to prevent freezing. We have spent as much as 3 months at Lavon Lake when we were fulltime and did pretty well but you will use a lot of energy to heat the RV.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, Gabe1105 said:

Made the leap.  Time has come where I was tired of increasing property taxes, home maintenance, HOA's not working and so on.  Sold home and bought an F350 and new North Point.  Took a couple of weeks to adjust but I'm really liking it so far.  Any tips I'd like to hear.  Thanks

Jay.jpg

Congrats on Full-timing.  Along with the previous suggestions folks have mentioned, get some bug defenses set up.  Bugs, especially those little sugar ants, love to walk up electrical, sewer, and water lines and into the rig.  Stuff for wasp as well.  If you do not have day/night shades, consider getting some automotive shades to help block out the sun in the warmer months.  Your a/c will love you for it.  Vent cushions for the interior help with reducing heating and cooling cost.  

Again, congrats on full-timing!

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

On 10/26/2019 at 7:04 AM, Gabe1105 said:

Thank you.  I do plan to hook up and visit the local state parks monthly.  I like the tire cover idea.  I’m sure these Goodyear Beast tires aren’t cheap and I’d like to get their entire life out of them.

Few people seem to understand tire dry rot.  The sun is only one issue.  I had a spare tire under my pickup that never was in the sun.  After 4 years I decided to put it into rotation.  Within a few weeks, I noticed deep cracks everywhere on the tire.  I did some research and learned that tires need to be used regularly.  The heat build up with cause chemicals in the tire to migrate to the surface and provide protection against oxidation.  A tire that is used regularly can safely last about 7 years.  Without use my tire did not make it past 4 years.  There is some minimal data which indicates that Aerospace 303 protectant will help.  To do so the tires must be clean and then coated on all surfaces or at least on both sidewalls.  Tires should then be recoated every few months.  Since my RV sits unused for many months of the year, I am trying this method.  

1 hour ago, JimK said:

Few people seem to understand tire dry rot.  The sun is only one issue.  I had a spare tire under my pickup that never was in the sun.  After 4 years I decided to put it into rotation.  Within a few weeks, I noticed deep cracks everywhere on the tire.  I did some research and learned that tires need to be used regularly.  The heat build up with cause chemicals in the tire to migrate to the surface and provide protection against oxidation.  A tire that is used regularly can safely last about 7 years.  Without use my tire did not make it past 4 years.  There is some minimal data which indicates that Aerospace 303 protectant will help.  To do so the tires must be clean and then coated on all surfaces or at least on both sidewalls.  Tires should then be recoated every few months.  Since my RV sits unused for many months of the year, I am trying this method.  

Interesting information, thank you

On 10/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, StraitRVing said:

Congrats on Full-timing.  Along with the previous suggestions folks have mentioned, get some bug defenses set up.  Bugs, especially those little sugar ants, love to walk up electrical, sewer, and water lines and into the rig.  Stuff for wasp as well.  If you do not have day/night shades, consider getting some automotive shades to help block out the sun in the warmer months.  Your a/c will love you for it.  Vent cushions for the interior help with reducing heating and cooling cost.  

Again, congrats on full-timing!

That's good intel.  Here at our park we have covered spots so I took advantage.  Hopefully it will help with some weather prevention.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:54 AM, Kirk W said:

We are in Mesquite, but not living in the RV. We traveled for almost 12 years and still miss it. The weather here does get cold enough that you will want to skirt the RV to keep the cold winds out from under it and you need to have your water supply well insulated to prevent freezing. We have spent as much as 3 months at Lavon Lake when we were fulltime and did pretty well but you will use a lot of energy to heat the RV.

One more question I had.  Should I have a dehumidifier?  Someone else who full times it suggested I needed one immediately.

1 hour ago, Gabe1105 said:

That's good intel.  Here at our park we have covered spots so I took advantage.  Hopefully it will help with some weather prevention.

In the winter time I run a dehumidifier periodically.  When the outside temps get cold enough, condensation will form in the RV.  You will see it especially around the windows and can sometimes feel it on the walls.  I do use DampRid when I am not running the dehumidifier.  

Best regards,

You can lower humidity problems by alway opening a vent a little when cooking or using the shower. Condensation can be a problem in cold weather. It is much worse if you don’t open a vent.  Windows will collect a lot of moisture if not dual pane. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

You can lower humidity problems by alway opening a vent a little when cooking or using the shower. Condensation can be a problem in cold weather. It is much worse if you don’t open a vent.  Windows will collect a lot of moisture if not dual pane. 

Thankfully I have dual Payne windows.  I am leaving 2 vents open during the day to help battle condensation.  I may buy a dehumidifier and see if it collects any water.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:34 AM, Gabe1105 said:

So far I’ll be permanent at my location which is in McKinney TX.  North suburb of DFW.  I found a new RV park just 20 miles from my office, Good Shepherd RV Park.  Not to say my employer could want me to move, if I wanted.  I do like the fact I’m no longer tied down owning a home.  So I’m certainly open to travel as time goes on.

Wow!  You found a good park for you and so close to work.  I just Googled it and it states a site with a cover is $550/m.  What a deal!!  Hope you solve the issue.  I think a dehumidifier will help along w/vent openings.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Excellent reminder Kurt.  We use the range vent every time we are using the stove, oven, or slow cooker.  We also will open the window in the kitchen area.  Fresh air is good.