Norcold N811 not cooling, no error coded

Imoski

Unfortunately, it sounds like your cooling unit has failed and it's expensive to replace.  All it should take is heat at the boiler to initiate the cooling activity and you have that.

Do you have any signs of a cooling system leak like an ammonia smell or yellow stains anywhere on the rear coils?

Edited by Lou Schneider

There is a bottle shape container in the cooling system. It should be about a foot from the bottom of the fridge on the back side. Laying horizontal. It is in the refrigerator cooling system as you can see piping going to and out of it.

When the cooling unit is working properly and is operating, the bottle shaped container should be hot enough that you cannot keep your had on it. Although you can touch it for a few seconds.

If it is not hot , then the cooling unit is plugged. And no cooling.

Just a thought,.  Vern

I agree with Lou. If there is or has been any hint of ammonia smell in either the refrigerator interior or the rear access area or if the rear shows any signs of yellow mud or powder, those are signs that you have lost refrigerant from the cooling unit. You can get a copy of the N811 service manual at this link.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I can't see any yellow "mud" or smell ammonia.

The horizontal bottle shaped canister and the pipes around it are cold.

The chamber and top heat exchanger are hot. Piping on the exit side of the exchanger are cooler than the exchanger.

I guess this means we have a "plug" as per Wrknrvr 😖

Is there anyway of "deplugging" or do I need a service tech?

You could remove the whole unit. Lay it on the floor on its side. And look at it for a day, just sitting there. Just had to be funny.

It may burp or simply correct its self. It may not.

Pull the cover off the burner and look for yellow substance. I had one years ago that had just a trace of yellow behind the metal cover over the burner tube.

Any yellow and it needs a new cooling unit.

Vern

2 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Any yellow and it needs a new cooling unit.

Same for a plugged cooling unit if it doesn't go away with the suggested fix. The only experience that I have had with the "burp" repair for a plug made mine work for about 3 months and then it happened again. That time neither laying it on the side or the top did any good. I replaced the refrigerator then but that was also more than 20 years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

FWIW Having seen similar type problems over 49 years of RVing, I have to agree. I never had much success after trying laying on side or upside down home remedies (for units that hadn't leaked refrigerant) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. One cause of "plugging" was running off level for extended periods. As an old RV buddy used to say "It's nothing money cant fix" Maybe you will luck out and find an easier less expensive (than a new unit) cure ??? If so let us know.

John T