Sn@#w Chains

runaway parents

Well its that time of the year  for those guys that insist on driving in areas where chains are required now is the time to practice putting them on and learn how to install them correctly. Where do you do this you ask ? AT HOME IN YOUR DRIVEWAY! Spun out in the middle of the road blocking traffic is not a good place to learn. I have helped many truck drivers that don't know how to install them. It should be a requirement for a cdl license . You can tell the experienced ones from the not so experienced ones .Experienced ones have there chains hanging under there trailers the inexperienced ones still have them in the bag they came in . At  home is a good place to get to know them try them on make sure they fit. If they are old chains  at home is a good place to repair them. Trust me if you practice  this at home  on a dry sunny day it be a lot easer on you  when you  have to do this in a sn@%w storm on the side of the road. I know most of you guys would just stay put and wait for a better day. which is the smart thing to do. But some times life dictates what you have to do. Best thing to do is be prepared for the worst.

With my deck, there isn't room to install chains.  I'd rather go to the On Spot drop down chains or something similar.

They are on UTube.

This is where the mind set of a pilot kicks in. The saying goes like this,  "Better to use your superior intelligence to keep you out of situations where you need to use your superior skills"....or something like that.

More private pilots get killed trying to get home when really they don't.

Living in Calgary, I found that the main roads were generally driveable 3 days after a weather event.

I left Helena one time southbound in November on I15 in blinding sunshine on last night’s fresh snow. Mild weather, no “issues” on the road report. 

About an hour down the road the mountains had a different plan ...

snowage (not forecasted) falling, packing on the tilted road... people chaining up...

Part way up a couple with a very expensive coach had failed to negotiate the climb barefoot and backed it down into the guard rail on a curve. A big Kenworth T800 4 axle wrecker (with the jewelry on) had a hold of them with the boom line to tow them up the grade...

Last spring played “dodge the spun out barefoot trucks” slalom climbing Monarch Pass...

Is why I don’t rig anything that tows anything with no chain clearance...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On the way home from a work trip yesterday. Road report listed MP 66-166 as "Difficult driving conditions, Blizzard, Poor Visibility, Snow on roadway" I drove thru that area an hour later. Not a spec of snow but 44° and raining.

I carry chains and know how to use them. I even have options. I can use a set of singles on the drive axle if its marginal. Or I can throw some triples on the drive axle, the singles on the steers and a set of drag chains on one of the trailers axles. And yes I have been on some ice where all that was necessary. We don't let weather slow us down around here.

When I re-gear and install the locker I will also be adding some OnSpot chains. They work well for marginal situations where you just need a little help or a marginal safety factor.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.