Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Many years ago we signed up with Millenicom (anyone remember them?). At that time we were still working. I had a desktop computer and Jo Ann had a laptop. The deal was 20 GB/month. We put a small program on each computer to track our data use. We rarely went over the 20 GB. Fast forward to today. We're full-timers. Each of us has an iPhone and we have a hotspot, all with Verizon. The hotspot gives us 15 GB/month before it is throttled. The phones have 20 GB each of data use, but only if used on the phone. When tethered it is limited to 10 GB. Not sure how Verizon knows when that happens, but that's not my question.

Our data month begins on the 12th, and a few minutes ago we got texts from Verizon saying we've used 90% of the hotspot's high speed data. I think that's a new record.

Most of the time the throttling isn't a real issue, and when it is, we can just connect one of the iPhones, but it sure would be nice to have something that would give us more high speed data. Most of the campgrounds we visit do NOT have wifi, so using the park's isn't an option. Also, when doing banking or other business that requires some security we'd prefer not to use a public system.

Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing if you haven't already done this is to turn off all automatic updates for your computers, apps, and phones. Only update them over wifi.  Some of these updates can be pretty large.

BTW we did Millenicom also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mobile Internet Resource Center has some nice guides on mobile internet.  Here is their guide to the best plans - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/top-cellular-data-plans-for-rvers-cruisers-verizon-att-t-mobile-and-sprint/ .

I realized I should say we are running no longer available plans from AT&T and Verizon, so I recommend that if you get something that works, hang on to it if it becomes unavailable.  If I had to get a current plan I would look at the Visible plan on Verizon (just leave the phone ringer turned off and use a new phone number) for $40 and/or the FMCA Sprint plan for $50 (we are members of FMCA, which is now open to all RVs).

Edited by Bill Joyce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Many years ago we signed up with Millenicom (anyone remember them?). At that time we were still working. I had a desktop computer and Jo Ann had a laptop. The deal was 20 GB/month. We put a small program on each computer to track our data use. We rarely went over the 20 GB. Fast forward to today. We're full-timers. Each of us has an iPhone and we have a hotspot, all with Verizon. The hotspot gives us 15 GB/month before it is throttled. The phones have 20 GB each of data use, but only if used on the phone. When tethered it is limited to 10 GB. Not sure how Verizon knows when that happens, but that's not my question.

Our data month begins on the 12th, and a few minutes ago we got texts from Verizon saying we've used 90% of the hotspot's high speed data. I think that's a new record.

Most of the time the throttling isn't a real issue, and when it is, we can just connect one of the iPhones, but it sure would be nice to have something that would give us more high speed data. Most of the campgrounds we visit do NOT have wifi, so using the park's isn't an option. Also, when doing banking or other business that requires some security we'd prefer not to use a public system.

Any suggestions?

When I bought the jetpack and went to Verizon to activate it, we changed out plan to "Do More" plan. The rep added it with 15gb data for $10 ($8.50 with our gov discount) and another sims card with 15gb for another $10. So, we have 30gb, plus each of our phones have 30gb hotspot. If I want to stream, I connect my phone straight to the TV, because the phone doesn't pull from the hotspot data.

That's how we plan to do it, but granted we haven't been through a whole billing cycle yet. We'll see if the plan hold true.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I about to buy a Winegard ToGo. It uses an AT&T unlimited plan (no throttling, but it is network managed) that is only $360 a year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the TOGO and it got here today and is sitting on my truck backseat, been raining. The other option is Visible (subsidiary of Verizon) using either one of their phones or your phone if it is on their limited approved list. 22GB with network management if the antenna is busy. Which from reports happens rarely or never. I got that since my old phone was due for replacement, I got their Moto G7 power, they transferred the number, price was $200 but they send you a $100 debit card. So a $100 for a $250 phone, no contract and flat rate $40/mo.

The Moto is very attractive since it broadcasts a WIFI signal with your data. You can supposedly use it while towing the RV (or driving the RV) down the road so long as you have a AT&T signal. All you need to do is hook up 12V to the dome. $400 for the antenna and $360/yr paid all at once for AT&T. About the same price for the antenna as some of these cell phone boosters cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed Millenicom routers at about a dozen mountaintop sites to provide Internet service at our radio transmitters.  Then Verizon cancelled Millenicom's master contract and I had to scramble to convert all of them to actual Verizon accounts.

I've been leery of using third party resellers since then.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, Packman said:

When I bought the jetpack and went to Verizon to activate it, we changed out plan to "Do More" plan. The rep added it with 15gb data for $10 ($8.50 with our gov discount) and another sims card with 15gb for another $10. So, we have 30gb, plus each of our phones have 30gb hotspot. If I want to stream, I connect my phone straight to the TV, because the phone doesn't pull from the hotspot data.

That's how we plan to do it, but granted we haven't been through a whole billing cycle yet. We'll see if the plan hold true.

Rick

As it turns out, the Verizon rep was wrong about being able to use two sims cards in one jet pack. Why can't they get their act together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you just get Visible? It is owned by Verizon and for $40/mo you get 22GB unlimited with network management over that only if the cell tower is busy. And that $40 is flat rate no addons. You need an approved phone but they are selling one for $16 and you get a $100 rebate with any phone under $400. So your first two months would be free. I have it and so far it works great. We will kill our current landline DSL next month which was $65/mo and provided terrible service from AT&T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on the unlimited Verizon plan for prepay account. They offered it for a while and then pulled it. But someone here said it is being offered again. Might be work checking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I am on the unlimited Verizon plan for prepay account. They offered it for a while and then pulled it. But someone here said it is being offered again. Might be work checking

I have not heard anything about the Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Jetpack plan being offered again. In fact, I did a scan just today of their prepaid site in a routine check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...