They want to cut the Senior park camping discounts

agesilaus

RV Newsletter

Looks like they want to cut the discount on upcharges to the camping fee. But the big problem is cutting the discount all together during peak season. Pay full charges all summer long?

Don't like it, now is the time to call your senators and congressmen:

House: (352) 732-1313

Senate: (202) 224-3121

Calls are the most effective but you can email them too, just write your own email don't use a form letter.

I'm not sure if this applies to Access Passes too.

Just emailed the AZ Senators and Congressman

Dear Senator XXX,
I understand that the federal government is proposing changes in the National Parks system that reduces or eliminates the benefits to seniors who have purchased a “senior pass” to enter the parks. I am asking you to oppose any moves that eliminate this small but very precious perk to retired Americans. Please protect our senior pass benefits!

Thank You,

Your Name

Mike Foster

2020 Transcend 221RB

2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD

20190920_161514.jpg

45 minutes ago, mesa said:

Just emailed the AZ Senators and Congressman

Dear Senator XXX,
I understand that the federal government is proposing changes in the National Parks system that reduces or eliminates the benefits to seniors who have purchased a “senior pass” to enter the parks. I am asking you to oppose any moves that eliminate this small but very precious perk to retired Americans. Please protect our senior pass benefits!

Thank You,

Your Name

Done

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

22 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

The Federal Senior pass is non-replaceable, at least it was years ago when I got mine. 

You just go and buy another one. That is how it has always been but of course, now the price is $80.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You just go and buy another one. That is how it has always been but of course, now the price is $80.

The senior handicapped pass was free, now with the  $80 initial fee, I wonder if the handicap card now costs?? Best I go to the website and look_right.

UPDATE:

Did not find this addressed on a National Parks Senior Pass website, however I did find the information on https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-obtain-the-access-pass-3361868

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have had one for years it is very thick now . If we have to pay so be it. We will pay.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

The senior handicapped pass was free, now with the  $80 initial fee,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far as I know the Access pass is free and so is a replacement. I got a replacement a couple of years ago.

Access Pass

• Free
  • Lifetime pass for any citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. who has been medically determined to have a permanent disability.
  • 50% discount on some expanded amenity fees like camping fees.

Senior Pass Benefits

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

About your Senior Pass

Passes are NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.

=====================================

Ok, I'm confused.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

About your Senior Pass

Passes are NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.

=====================================

Ok, I'm confused.

You cannot get a replacement pass but you can buy a brand new one that has nothing to do with your previous one.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

You cannot get a replacement pass but you can buy a brand new one that has nothing to do with your previous one.

Linda

Ok.. thanks.  Interesting.. I guess you have to actually ask  them that question to get that answer.

Edited by hemsteadc

I just went back and re-read the link that began all this discussion. There are some misleading statements contained in that RV newsletter issue. Re-read it yourself, then go to the National Parks website and drill down until you find their official position.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Re-read it yourself, then go to the National Parks website and drill down until you find their official position.

You make a very good point, but I visited the NPS website and am unable to locate anything that is related to the referenced subject or article. How about posting a link to the information that you read?

Well Kirk, I cannot find that NPS webpage I had bookmarked again.   The disability pass is now named the Access Pass, that website is current information as of August 31,2019. Where some of the confusion arises is due to, 5 Federal Agencies control the pass program. This FWS pdf answers many common questions: https://www.fws.gov/refuges/pdfs/AccessPass_PublicFINAL_100507.pdf

The RVtravel website talks about the possibility of losing the 50% camping fee discount; some concessionaires were not honoring that many years ago, so nothing new.

Veterans with any VA rating may obtain a free lifetime National Parks pass:  https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/04/06/got-va-rating-you-can-get-free-lifetime-national-parks-pass.html

Edited by Ray,IN

On 10/20/2019 at 5:00 PM, hemsteadc said:

The Federal Senior pass is non-replaceable, at least it was years ago when I got mine. 

It is only replaceable if you have the original worn or damaged one.  If it is lost or just gone, you have to buy a new one at full price.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

5 minutes ago, edatlanta said:

It is only replaceable if you have the original worn or damaged one. 

How do you go about getting it replaced? We first had the cardboard Golden Age cards and later when entering a park the ranger replaced those for us with the newer cards with a magnetic stripe but we still have and use the last version of Golden Age cards and have not updated to an America the Beautiful Senior Card and it has never been questioned nor has a replacement been offered. 

Edited by Kirk W