iShift Handle Problem

Av8r3400

I have an iShift Trans in my Volvo with the "primium" shifter.

Lately we have had some issue going into reverse.  It acts like the shift handle is not moving far enough to get reverse.  Some fiddling and patients gets it into reverse and all was well.

Today we went to drive the truck, the shifter was in the "retracted" position.  It was moved upright to neutral and then into "drive".  The driver display showed "manual" and trying to put it into "drive" didn't change anything on the display.  The shifter was in effect stuck in "manual".  It wouldn't go to "drive", "neutral", or "reverse".

I drove the truck home where I have tools and could do something.  (The local dealer was the first choice, but they closed at noon...)

When we got home, I parked the truck where I could pull it around and get it out again if the shifter fix was unsuccessful.

I took off the cover of the shift handle and took it all apart.  I should have video'ed the process, but I was able to figure out the mechanism and found the main shifter arm attached to the handle had come out of it's proper position, not allowing proper shifting.  There is what is best described as a "sensor" on the left side of the mechanism and the shift handle and buttons move little arms with small magnets on them for the sensor to follow.  (Seems a little over complicated to me, but I'm not an electrical engineer...)  Kind of a Pandora's box of pieces and parts.  Some patients and putzing around with all the little bits and I was able to figure it out.

I got it back together and it is working properly now.  I wish I had an exploded view of this assembly...

When I was having issues with going into reverse, I asked the dealer if the shifter could be out of adjustment or something.  I was told it was a "non-serviceable" item and would need to be replaced and the computer reprogrammed to match a new shifter, to the tune of near $2000...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

non-serviceable.......    I used to here that pretty often at the John Deere dealer.  What it really meant was: "bend over".  

So, how much did you make per hour?  Nice days' pay.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

For whatever they are worth, aftermarket shifters are widely available on the web.  Also, I think the dealer was stretching it with the reprogramming. I changed up to the premium from the basic. I bought a used premium shifter, installed it and it worked just like the previous one. Had to get the programming done for the premium functions. But I don’t think it’s necessary if you are replacing with the same.

I replaced my shifter because of me not being able to hit the little button on the side to bump it up or down.  My r thumb has a pin in it and will not bend, my not to distant relatives in the trees have the same issue.

The new shifter cost me 1500 Canadian about 3 yrs ago.

I pitched the old one, the guy who wanted it changed his mind and disappeared from the forum.

When we get back from the HDT rally, I'm gonna volunteer to haul for the boys renting our place.  Who knows what trannies I'll get to stir.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 10/20/2019 at 9:46 AM, noteven said:

About load 4 I noticed the programming of my Fuller I(hafta)Shift it was working quite a bit better 😁

Modern transmissions should always be "learning", and its programming becoming more efficient as runtime increases.  ;)

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Working for a neighbor harvesting wheat. Hauling on grabbel roads with the 8 axle trucks (W900’s & 5 axle “super b” double semi trailers). About 140,000 lbs gvw maybe a tick more 🙄 anyhoo a bit rusty with 18spds & country road steep curving coulee hills .... 45mph around the bottom dust flying and up we go... I Shift it Fuller 18 goes from up over dere gear down 4 to over here and up gear and hit the splitter down maybe 2 more to over dere and back gear and the Rattlepillar engine settles in to a happy 1500rpm place sound with many psi’s manifold pressure... 

My question is: should a 20 yr old KW be traded off for a Tesla Sem Eye because it can only do 15mph pulling 75tons on 7-8% curving gravel hill? 😎

Oh and the I hafta Shift 18 spd in the other truck learned from the first truck and it went through the coulee shifting just the same 🙂...

The old truck has straight stacks so ya, you can hear the Jake when you are whoaing up ...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:50 PM, Av8r3400 said:

I got it back together and it is working properly now.

Just goes to show you, if a man had the idea, designed it, fabricated the parts, assembled the parts to build a "shifter" then a smart man can figure out how to fix it.  Hope you put a bit of lube in there while you were at it!

Good job.

Marcel