2006 Journey--Fresh water tank in 15* temps

Al F

We have a 2006 Journey, 36G with the 90 gallon fresh water tank located in the lower center of the RV between the front and rear axles. This tank is housed in a medal frame mostly exposed to the outside air.

We are planning a trip this winter to spend 7-9 days, where we have a chance to be in well below freezing temps for 24-48 hours. Chances are we won't be exposed to this cold of temperatures for this long, but there is still a chance.

Questions:

-- Is there any insulation between the water tank and the medal frame?
-- Does anyone have any experience a RV with this kind of exposed water tank.

I know 90 gallons of water is not going to freeze to the point of damage in just 4-6 hours of 15* temps. But if the temps hover between 30* and 15* for 24-36 hours I am not sure what will happen.

As far as the water pipes in the storage compartments and living areas, I am prepared to take care of them to keep them from freezing.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I don't know about the Journey, but most class A motorhomes have heat into all tank and plumbing areas supplied by the propane furnace? I suspect that all you need to do is keep the furnace running. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

About the furnace sending warm air to the water tanks: The fresh water tank is hanging out in the open air in a medal enclosed frame.  I don't think it has any way for warm air to get to the tank. The rest of my tanks are internal and have warm air to them.  

Yes, draining the tanks and having no running water for the time is the safest option.  Rather not to have to do that.  If we were going to be here for many weeks or a few months I would insulate the outside water hose, etc, etc.  But not going to be there that long.  We may be forced into the no running water option IF it gets cold enough. 

I like the idea of putting whiskey in the tank.  Hate to run it down the toilet or sink though. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

If in doubt  hang a heat lamp below the tank or add a cpl gallons of whiskey to the tank

I see an issue with this... the correct ratio of water to whiskey might get expensive, and I like my whiskey over ice....  Which they are trying to avoid....  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins