cash app

GlennWest

Didn't really see anywhere to post this so here it is. Fellow I'm getting batteries from is an indiviual and prefers the Cash app over Paypay. Paypal charges him a percentage. Anyone here have any exsperience with this

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

32 minutes ago, SWharton said:

If he is not a business there is no percentage charged by Paypal. I never heard of the Cash app but use Paypal all the time.

If you sell something to someone and they pay with Paypal, there is a seller's fee, usually 3%.  The buyer can get around it by claiming it is a friend, but I don't advise anyone to do that when buying.  If you buy something and send the money as a friend, you lose Paypal buyer protections.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If you sell something to someone and they pay with Paypal, there is a seller's fee, usually 3%.  The buyer can get around it by claiming it is a friend, but I don't advise anyone to do that when buying.  If you buy something and send the money as a friend, you lose Paypal buyer protections.

This and selling something and asking for them to send money as friend is against the rules and will get your account closed.

Several of my hobbies have me buying selling things from a few bucks to several hundred. I always price my stuff to include fees and shipping and will only buy from people who do the same.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

6 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

This and selling something and asking for them to send money as friend is against the rules and will get your account closed.

That is incorrect, if you pay as friend it is like paying cash and as stated above you lose buyer protection.

Terry

On 10/17/2019 at 2:08 PM, SWharton said:

If he is not a business there is no percentage charged by Paypal. I never heard of the Cash app but use Paypal all the time.

That is incorrect. A guy sent me $46 for a harness that I make and sell. After Pay Pal fees I received $44.37. Sending it this way, the buyer has recourse and can dispute for several reasons. Sending it as friends and family there are no fees taken out on the receivers end. The sender will pay fees if paid by credit card. Anything from your bank is free.

I have Zelle through my banks. There is no recourse as it is basically a wire transfer. If you send it to a wrong person or a wrong amount, there is not recourse. Unless the receiver of the funds sends you back the funds. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

That is incorrect. A guy sent me $46 for a harness that I make and sell. After Pay Pal fees I received $44.37. Sending it this way, the buyer has recourse and can dispute for several reasons. Sending it as friends and family there are no fees taken out on the receivers end. The sender will pay fees if paid by credit card. Anything from your bank is free.

I have Zelle through my banks. There is no recourse as it is basically a wire transfer. If you send it to a wrong person or a wrong amount, there is not recourse. Unless the receiver of the funds sends you back the funds. 

32 minutes ago, ewacowboy said:

We use the CASH app quite often.  It's just like using cash, so if you want/need protections then probably need to go another route.

Not familiar with CASH app.  How does this work?  My buddy and I go bowling.  At the end, he pays the tab with his credit card and says I owe him $12.50.  So, do I just hand him my phone. or what?  That's what I would do with real cash, just hand it to him.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Not familiar with CASH app.  How does this work?  My buddy and I go bowling.  At the end, he pays the tab with his credit card and says I owe him $12.50.  So, do I just hand him my phone. or what?  That's what I would do with real cash, just hand it to him.

Maybe your being funny but then again maybe not. Yes, most of these Aps have a bar code you bring up. Your friend can scan your barcode and BOOM! he has his money.

Some people have no need for these Aps but it is very convenient when buying and selling as appose to cash. I use Venmo, Zelle, and Paypal for my rustic wood business. I simply tell people I'm giving them the cash price so if they use paypal then the fee gets added to the price. We can also take CC. Same scenario. If someone squacks at the fee then for $20 i will eat it.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

30 minutes ago, jamtracy said:

Maybe your being funny but then again maybe not. Yes, most of these Aps have a bar code you bring up. Your friend can scan your barcode and BOOM! he has his money.

Some people have no need for these Aps but it is very convenient when buying and selling as appose to cash. I use Venmo, Zelle, and Paypal for my rustic wood business. I simply tell people I'm giving them the cash price so if they use paypal then the fee gets added to the price. We can also take CC. Same scenario. If someone squacks at the fee then for $20 i will eat it.

I wasn't trying to be funny.  So, my friend has to have the app on his phone also?  So, everyone has to have the same app?  I mean, everyone uses the same currency for a couple of hundred years now, and that's why cash works.  How does my buddy take the bar code to the car wash and get coins or tokens from the change machine? 

My only point was, it ain't "just like cash".  I've never run into anyone who wouldn't take cash.  I don't have any friends who use the CASH app.

I certainly understand using these apps for business.  I use very little cash, mostly just for buying a cup of coffee or paying between friends, like my example.  Until everyone is on the same page and using a standardized app, I think I'll continue to carry a little cash.

Howdy!

I went through this last year with the trash company that picks up our trash. When we’re gone they use our ditch to turn around in on our dead end road. They backed into our fence and caused a lot of damage. They agreed to fix the fence after  I had had it repaired. My mistake was letting them pay me using PayPal. I never used it before for this type of thing and it ended up costing me money.

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

15 hours ago, rynosback said:

I can send and receive with Paypal and no fee either way.  If not enough funds in my Paypal account it will pull from my checking account which is free.   Using credit cards attached to your account is different.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

1 hour ago, chiefneon said:

My mistake was letting them pay me using PayPal. I never used it before for this type of thing and it ended up costing me money.

I think if it had been a business paying me  I would have insisted on a check so I would have a "paper" trail for my records. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

18 hours ago, SWharton said:

i paid my housekeeper, yard guy and all sorts of other people via Paypal when we traveled during the winter and never paid a fee. I never heard of Zelle unil this thread but then I have no generally have no need for these type of programs.

The seller pays the fee not the buyer. If seller asks the buyer to the fee that is also against the rules. Sellers of goods or services pay a 2.9% fee. You don't have to be licensed business or have a specific business account.  I buy and sell stuff for my RC Helicopter hobby. I probably sell 10 or 15 things a year.

Here are the rules:

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method without our prior written consent. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

3.5 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel