Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Didn't really see anywhere to post this so here it is. Fellow I'm getting batteries from is an indiviual and prefers the Cash app over Paypay. Paypal charges him a percentage. Anyone here have any exsperience with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is not a business there is no percentage charged by Paypal. I never heard of the Cash app but use Paypal all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SWharton said:

If he is not a business there is no percentage charged by Paypal. I never heard of the Cash app but use Paypal all the time.

If you sell something to someone and they pay with Paypal, there is a seller's fee, usually 3%.  The buyer can get around it by claiming it is a friend, but I don't advise anyone to do that when buying.  If you buy something and send the money as a friend, you lose Paypal buyer protections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If you sell something to someone and they pay with Paypal, there is a seller's fee, usually 3%.  The buyer can get around it by claiming it is a friend, but I don't advise anyone to do that when buying.  If you buy something and send the money as a friend, you lose Paypal buyer protections.

This and selling something and asking for them to send money as friend is against the rules and will get your account closed.

Several of my hobbies have me buying selling things from a few bucks to several hundred. I always price my stuff to include fees and shipping and will only buy from people who do the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

This and selling something and asking for them to send money as friend is against the rules and will get your account closed.

 

That is incorrect, if you pay as friend it is like paying cash and as stated above you lose buyer protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 2:08 PM, SWharton said:

If he is not a business there is no percentage charged by Paypal. I never heard of the Cash app but use Paypal all the time.

That is incorrect. A guy sent me $46 for a harness that I make and sell. After Pay Pal fees I received $44.37. Sending it this way, the buyer has recourse and can dispute for several reasons. Sending it as friends and family there are no fees taken out on the receivers end. The sender will pay fees if paid by credit card. Anything from your bank is free.

I have Zelle through my banks. There is no recourse as it is basically a wire transfer. If you send it to a wrong person or a wrong amount, there is not recourse. Unless the receiver of the funds sends you back the funds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rynosback said:

That is incorrect. A guy sent me $46 for a harness that I make and sell. After Pay Pal fees I received $44.37. Sending it this way, the buyer has recourse and can dispute for several reasons. Sending it as friends and family there are no fees taken out on the receivers end. The sender will pay fees if paid by credit card. Anything from your bank is free.

I have Zelle through my banks. There is no recourse as it is basically a wire transfer. If you send it to a wrong person or a wrong amount, there is not recourse. Unless the receiver of the funds sends you back the funds. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i paid my housekeeper, yard guy and all sorts of other people via Paypal when we traveled during the winter and never paid a fee. I never heard of Zelle unil this thread but then I have no generally have no need for these type of programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use the CASH app quite often.  It's just like using cash, so if you want/need protections then probably need to go another route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ewacowboy said:

We use the CASH app quite often.  It's just like using cash, so if you want/need protections then probably need to go another route.

Not familiar with CASH app.  How does this work?  My buddy and I go bowling.  At the end, he pays the tab with his credit card and says I owe him $12.50.  So, do I just hand him my phone. or what?  That's what I would do with real cash, just hand it to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

So, do I just hand him my phone. or what?

Yes, and the only extra cost to you is buying a new phone! ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Not familiar with CASH app.  How does this work?  My buddy and I go bowling.  At the end, he pays the tab with his credit card and says I owe him $12.50.  So, do I just hand him my phone. or what?  That's what I would do with real cash, just hand it to him.

Maybe your being funny but then again maybe not. Yes, most of these Aps have a bar code you bring up. Your friend can scan your barcode and BOOM! he has his money.

Some people have no need for these Aps but it is very convenient when buying and selling as appose to cash. I use Venmo, Zelle, and Paypal for my rustic wood business. I simply tell people I'm giving them the cash price so if they use paypal then the fee gets added to the price. We can also take CC. Same scenario. If someone squacks at the fee then for $20 i will eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jamtracy said:

Maybe your being funny but then again maybe not. Yes, most of these Aps have a bar code you bring up. Your friend can scan your barcode and BOOM! he has his money.

Some people have no need for these Aps but it is very convenient when buying and selling as appose to cash. I use Venmo, Zelle, and Paypal for my rustic wood business. I simply tell people I'm giving them the cash price so if they use paypal then the fee gets added to the price. We can also take CC. Same scenario. If someone squacks at the fee then for $20 i will eat it.

I wasn't trying to be funny.  So, my friend has to have the app on his phone also?  So, everyone has to have the same app?  I mean, everyone uses the same currency for a couple of hundred years now, and that's why cash works.  How does my buddy take the bar code to the car wash and get coins or tokens from the change machine? 

My only point was, it ain't "just like cash".  I've never run into anyone who wouldn't take cash.  I don't have any friends who use the CASH app.

I certainly understand using these apps for business.  I use very little cash, mostly just for buying a cup of coffee or paying between friends, like my example.  Until everyone is on the same page and using a standardized app, I think I'll continue to carry a little cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy!

I went through this last year with the trash company that picks up our trash. When we’re gone they use our ditch to turn around in on our dead end road. They backed into our fence and caused a lot of damage. They agreed to fix the fence after  I had had it repaired. My mistake was letting them pay me using PayPal. I never used it before for this type of thing and it ended up costing me money.

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rynosback said:

That is incorrect. A guy sent me $46 for a harness that I make and sell. After Pay Pal fees I received $44.37. Sending it this way, the buyer has recourse and can dispute for several reasons. Sending it as friends and family there are no fees taken out on the receivers end. The sender will pay fees if paid by credit card. Anything from your bank is free.

I have Zelle through my banks. There is no recourse as it is basically a wire transfer. If you send it to a wrong person or a wrong amount, there is not recourse. Unless the receiver of the funds sends you back the funds. 

I can send and receive with Paypal and no fee either way.  If not enough funds in my Paypal account it will pull from my checking account which is free.   Using credit cards attached to your account is different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiefneon said:

My mistake was letting them pay me using PayPal. I never used it before for this type of thing and it ended up costing me money.

 

I think if it had been a business paying me  I would have insisted on a check so I would have a "paper" trail for my records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 2:53 AM, TLRam1 said:

That is incorrect, if you pay as friend it is like paying cash and as stated above you lose buyer protection.

Notice I was talking about the seller not the payee. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SWharton said:

i paid my housekeeper, yard guy and all sorts of other people via Paypal when we traveled during the winter and never paid a fee. I never heard of Zelle unil this thread but then I have no generally have no need for these type of programs.

The seller pays the fee not the buyer. If seller asks the buyer to the fee that is also against the rules. Sellers of goods or services pay a 2.9% fee. You don't have to be licensed business or have a specific business account.  I buy and sell stuff for my RC Helicopter hobby. I probably sell 10 or 15 things a year.

Here are the rules:

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method without our prior written consent. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

3.5 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Rv Insurance Benefits.com Logo

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...