Anyone using a wireless fence on the road?

agesilaus

I was wondering if you could use one of these on the road camping. Set up a near boundary, 50 ft or so around the camper. Assuming there is that much room. It would allow you to let the dogs run free inside that. I wouldn't trust them out there alone tho, a jack rabbit would be a powerful attractor.

My problem is my aussie's fur is so thick these haven't worked well for me but I could clip the hair around his neck which might make it work better.

Most parks prohibit wireless fences and require the dog to be on a leash and only tied out when you are out. Some prohibit any dog fences.  You need to check each park.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

20 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Most parks prohibit wireless fences and require the dog to be on a leash and only tied out when you are out.

In our experience nearly all parks will say that all dogs must be on a leash with a person on the other end any time that they are outside of the RV. One problem with any form of invisible leash is that other dog owners see yours outside and no visible leash so they figure their dog don't need one either. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since your Aussie could be gone in a flash after a rabbit, you may be better off with 3 or 4  sections of X-Pen.  Yes, it takes up space.  I had 3 sections, but paired down to 2 after one of my dogs died, since 2 is enough for him.  My current dog is in the pen only long enough to potty and never alone. 

To answer your specific question, once your dog is used to the invisible fence, there is no reason it shouldn't work.  You just have to setup the markers at each new location.

There was an incident at a campground this summer where the folks across from us had to leave because they insisted that their dog would not leave the "invisible fence" area.  The shouting match with the owner/manager didn't go well for the RV'er as he was introduced to the local police and had to leave the park that afternoon.  The folks next to him also had their dogs outside in a pen and they were also told they were not allowed.  They complied.  No pens means no pens.

One of the problems with an invisible fence in a boondocking situation is that, even if your dog doesn't charge through it after irresistible prey, other animals -- like coyotes -- can cross over and snatch your dog.

There's no way I'd ever use one for that very reason (ignoring the fact that one of our dogs is a Basenji that are very prey-driven).  We spend most of our time boondocking and when the dogs are outside, they're on a leash with us at the other end.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Any coyote taking on our 50 lb Aussie (who are bred to take on coyotes) or our 60 pound Border Collie (likewise) are welcome to try.

But I see your point but as I pointed out I'd only use that fence when we were present outside. I have means to strongly discourage any critters smaller than Moose or Bear size anyway.

Edited by agesilaus

On 10/18/2019 at 7:18 AM, LindaH said:

One of the problems with an invisible fence in a boondocking situation is that, even if your dog doesn't charge through it after irresistible prey, other animals -- like coyotes -- can cross over and snatch your dog.

There's no way I'd ever use one for that very reason (ignoring the fact that one of our dogs is a Basenji that are very prey-driven).  We spend most of our time boondocking and when the dogs are outside, they're on a leash with us at the other end.

I'm not at all concerned about what my dogs may do to those poor coyotes.  We have too many of them anyway.

For true out-there boondocking with zero people around, our dogs are fine off leash.  Boondocking with people semi-close?  We use a 25' lead attached to the RV.  Campgrounds usually have a six foot limit, though often we are told that our ten footer is alright since they still can't reach the bounds of our site.

Have you ever had an idiot come into your site just to pet your dog uninvited?  We told someone that one of our dogs would be unfriendly (though not actually bite), and she still kept coming in.  Sheesh.