Texas Drivers License Renewal

Velos

I received a notice that my drivers license is due to renew in 2 years.  If I don't have a gold star in the upper right hand corner then it is not compliant with the REAL ID act. I don't plan to fly but do have a current passport so don't see any reason to renew before my renewal date?  Have you renewed your TEXAS drivers license or are you planning to renew before October 1st, 2020?

I am surprised that I don't have the gold star as I remember having to renew in person and show my birth certificate, social security card, passport vehicle registration and vehicle insurance but I see i renewed it last in 2014 before the 2016 date to initiate the program. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

2 hours ago, Velos said:

I am surprised that I don't have the gold star as I remember having to renew in person and show my birth certificate, social security card, passport vehicle registration and vehicle insurance but I see i renewed it last in 2014 before the 2016 date to initiate the program.

While you shouldn't need the star as long as you make sure to carry your passport, I suspect you are in a similar position to what we discovered we were. We recently moved to a new location and so we each put in an address change online, as required in a permanent change of address. Much to our surprise the new licenses came to us with the required star even though we only did an online address change. When I inquired I was told that because we had proven citizenship at our previous renewal, all that was required was replacement of the license because the emblem from Homeland Security was not yet available to the states. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

Real ID has nothing to do with the proof you provided your state DMV, i

If you have a TX license, then what is needed to get that added to your license does or at least that is what they used to add mine. 

What Is the REAL ID Act?

When we last changed our driver's license address MN DMV asked if we wanted real IDs and, if so, if we had brought the proper documentation. We decided having passports was enough for us.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I renewed my driver's license a couple of years ago and got the Real ID star.  I didn't know I had it until this thread came up.  I sure didn't bring any documentation with me.  I guess the State figured that having a Texas driver's license for over 50 years was documentation enough.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

That's because they had the necessary information already on file and their "gold star" license fulfill the federal requirements.   Most people who renew will automatically get the "star" because they have already given the needed info before and now that the new 'compliant' licenses are available will get the new license.   If your old license doesn't expire until after next October, then you will probably get a notice that you might want to renew ahead of time.  

Why is everyone making a mountain out of this nothing burger?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That's because they had the necessary information already on file and their "gold star" license fulfill the federal requirements.   Most people who renew will automatically get the "star" because they have already given the needed info before and now that the new 'compliant' licenses are available will get the new license.   If your old license doesn't expire until after next October, then you will probably get a notice that you might want to renew ahead of time.  

Why is everyone making a mountain out of this nothing burger?

Nobody's making a mountain out of it, we're simply discussing it.  If you don't care to participate, then don't.

To your other point, I disagree.  I have never submitted any outside documents to the DPS verifying my ID or my address.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Most people who renew will automatically get the "star" because they have already given the needed info before and now that the new 'compliant' licenses are available will get the new license.  

Exactly. 

7 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I have never submitted any outside documents to the DPS verifying my ID or my address.

Well, I turned in my old driver's license which verified my ID. And they mail the new license so if I gave them an invalid address I would never receive it. That logic works for me, anyway. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We just got our Texas drivers licenses.  We had Real ID South Dakota licenses to turn in.  We needed passports, SS Cards, birth certificates, and two proofs of residence.

So in Texas, even if you already passed Read ID in another state, you will have to go through it.  And having a Texas license for years will not exclude you from going thru Real ID.

I think in two years, a non Read ID license will no longer count for proof of citizenship, like boarding an airplane.  That will leave a couple of states, Minnesota for one, residents with having to have a passport and carrying it for flying.  

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Well, I turned in my old driver's license which verified my ID. And they mail the new license so if I gave them an invalid address I would never receive it. That logic works for me, anyway. :)

Linda

Yes, that's why I said "outside documents".  We don't turn in our old license in Texas.  I still have most of mine, although you'd think they belonged to a different person, judging from the picture. 🙂

I was mostly referring to the OP's statement " I am surprised that I don't have the gold star as I remember having to renew in person and show my birth certificate, social security card, passport, vehicle registration and vehicle insurance"

It's been 54 years, so I may have shown my birth certificate and don't remember.  It's also possible that I just signed a sworn affidavit stating my birth date.  As far as those other  four items, I'm positive I never presented them to DPS.

• Kirk W locked this topic