What’s New in Windows 10’s November 2019 Update, Arriving Soon

RV_

It's time for the big semiannual Windows update as opposed the the monthly cumulative updates. However, unlike before, this one is smaller and fast which is good news for full-time RVrs and folks with limited speed Internet connections. Now if they just get it right the first time?

Excerpt:

"Microsoft is now getting Windows 10’s November 2019 Update, codenamed 19H2, ready for release. Also known as Windows 10 version 1909, this will be the smallest, quickest Windows 10 Update yet. It’s practically just a service pack.

We’ve updated this article with the latest features up to Windows Insider build 18363.418, which Microsoft said was likely the final build on October 10, 2019.

A “Less Disruptive Update” With Fewer Changes

Microsoft’s John Cable explains that this update “will be a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features, and quality enhancements.” In other words, expect a select set of bug fixes, performance tweaks, and a handful of business features

If you’re sick of big Windows 10 updates every six months, Windows 10’s November 2019 Update (19H2) is the update for you! Installing this update will be more like installing a standard cumulative update like the updates that arrive on Patch Tuesday. It should be a small download with a fast installation process—no long reboot and purging of old Windows installations necessary.

Computers with the May 2019 Update (also known as 19H1) installed will get a small patch via Windows Update and quickly update themselves to the November 2019 Update (19H2.) This will likely arrive sometime in November 2019, as the name suggests.

With Windows 7’s end of life looming on January 14, 2020, Microsoft clearly wants to avoid a repeat of last year’s buggy October 2018 Update.

It’s already out there and being tested. As of September 5, Microsoft says every Windows Insider in the “Release Preview” ring has been offered Windows 10 version 1909. A year ago, Windows 10’s October 2018 Update was released without any testing in the Release Preview ring at all. On October 10, Microsoft said Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring already had what Microsoft expects is the final build"

The details, with screen shots and hot links are in the full article here: https://www.howtogeek.com/437112/whats-new-in-windows-10s-19h2-update-arriving-fall-2019/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

Word on the street is that you may want to wait a bit, again, before downloading the latest update. It may be coming with some extra baggage. More here.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks Darryl!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

I left my desktop on today while I was out on the farm mowing the hayfield weeds off. When I returned to my computer the screen was out whack  (self-update?)it appears permanently magnified, cannot see log-in button at top of some pages, which is too wide. I've been trying to return it to normal-with no success. I even went to download in setting and installed a download that said "waiting for install". The screen is stretched out sideways  too, the back arrow in a circle is now in an oval. I had to increase font size to 125% just to be able to read anything on the forum.

I'm wondering if my 6 yr old monitor was made outdated by whatever happened today while I was on the tractor??

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That last update took out my auto rotate on my Surface Pro 3 but only made my Pro 4 faster and added some nice little features. I finally got my Dell 2720 27" touch AIO back up. It had been here while I was back in LA selling our properties there for five months. It took all night to  do all the updates and the second to last update took out my start button and to get to settings to finish updating I could still right click the start button and use that menu. The last couple of updates fixed the start button and like the other i7 Surface Pro 4, the i7 Dell 2720 really sped up to like new again. I'm upgrading to a Surface Pro Quad core Pro 6 or the Pro 7 10th gen i7. They will sell for much more here than in Louisiana. We downsized so I have no room for six of everything. (Hint hint) Ray, six years out of our computers is like getting ten years and 300k miles from a gas SUV. Hope you figure it out. There were several small after patches so check again for updates.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I just upgraded to Win10 from Win7.  This is really stupid to make upgrades automatic, especially stuff like device drivers.  If my mouse is working, leave it alone.

Anyway, I went in to Services and stopped Windows Updates.  I guess I'll go and do them manually after a week or two, in case there's a disabling update of some kind.  I'll give them a chance to fix it before I crash my system.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I'm doing the last of my systems now, the 64GB storage Atom Z 3735? Mini PC. All my system handled 1909 fine if the Voyo Mini finishes 1909 OK. 1903 inactivated my start button on the Dell 2720, and messed up my Surface Pro 3 too. 1909 corrected whatever it was. Tonight I set all my systems up and updated them too. I unpacked them this morning. My wife's AIO I set up before I went back to sell the house in June. I got back to our new home two weeks ago 1 Nov. Assholes and elbows since. I thought I got rid of enough before we moved here but now I've got to get rid of half the good stuff I kept. We have a nice sized house just in the city and no 24X30 workshop on a slab.  On my varied systems it all worked. But we'll see as time goes by.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

12 hours ago, DJW said:

RV

Glad you made it to CO safely and everything is settling in.  Enjoy the new home.

Dennis

X2,  And be aware of the dangers of second-hand smoke_.🤣

Kidding aside, I wish you both the best Derek!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks Ray and Dennis!

Even the oldest Voyo mini PC took the last six months of updates fine. All my systems are running faster as they do better fixes for the Intel vulnerabilities in the processors, and some AMDs too. These updates were great for all mine.

I sold my Surface Pro 3 with dock, type cover, and several cases, plus an Otter box. I also sold the Dell venue 11 Pro with its dock and several cases, and two of my classic Fire HDX 7" tablets. Three cases each and a Bluetooth rechargeable keyboard all sold to my plumber doing my kitchen gas lines and master bath remodel. No one even interested in my tech toys in Louisiana but here they sell fast and bring a great price. That leaves me with a Surface Pro 4 and typecover/cases, our two main all in ones, the i5 quad core mini tower desktop I built and it's 27"quad HD monitor, and the Voyo mini portable desktop all Windows 10. I've still got the newest Fire tablets. The Full HD 10", and show dock for it. An 8" newest Fire tablet, and an 8.9" Fire HDX tablet, still too many.

I'm selling them because I'm getting a clearance Surface Pro 6, or maybe even the newest Surface Pro 7. What I already sold almost covers it. So Lynn gets the new fridge, gas range with convection, dishwasher, and overhead microwave with convection. I get my new Surface ProTablet, keeping the Pro 4 as a spare.

So don't worry about the November updates, fewer problems by far.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

I forgot to tell you thanks for the Surface Pro 4 docking station tip.    I got the DIL a docking station for her Surface Pro 4 that we had given her for her birthday 3 weeks ago and she loves it.  Thanks Again

Dennis

Edited by DJW

USA Master Sergeant Ret.