HDT carrying cars other than a Smart Car.

Dan Karau

We carry a Subaru Forester but I don't have a picture now.  The car is loaded at an angle with the front overhang over the cab.   The cab is a Volvo 42" sleeper with a low roof.  I built this bed a number of years ago and it has worked great for us.  We also frequently carry  a small RZR crosswise under the car with the roll bar removed. The total height is 13'.  It is registered in Colorado as a recreational truck so the MH requirements weren't necessary in the small cab.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Then it's time to read some rule books, and do some route planning. Carrying anything other than a smart car means being overlength almost everywhere. If you're comfortable with that, then go for it. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We carry our Forester as I posted with a 5th wheel.  Our travels are limited to just a few states but we are not over length in all but one of these states.   Unfortunately being over length or over width with a Smart car is the choice many of us must make.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 hours ago, packnrat said:

what about using one of the "mini" post WWII "toy" cars?

legal on the roads in the U,S,A?

yes costly, but they are very small and light weight.

All too long to go sideways. The trucks can be cut down the easiest, by shortening the frame/bed, and do come in four wheel drive models.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Use a 112” BBC day cab with a car deck and eat and sleep and toilet and store stuff in the trailer? 

Let’s see, 9’ an a bit, plus 5’ swing clearance plus gotta have 40’ trailer, plus allow 17’ for on deck vehicle puts it right in the ballpark for design target 65’ 72” overall length. Subtract for shorter and shorter on deck vehicle.

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Use a 112” BBC day cab with a car deck and eat and sleep and toilet and store stuff in the trailer? 

Let’s see, 9’ an a bit, plus 5’ swing clearance plus gotta have 40’ trailer, plus allow 17’ for on deck vehicle puts it right in the ballpark for design target 65’ 72” overall length. Subtract for shorter and shorter on deck vehicle.

My math is more like 65' 84.5" if i get the dumb end of the tape.....   

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Green Machine said:

Length of bed?  Looking to build same but with 5th wheel attached.

Vern has a sliding 5th wheel hitch. In the quoted pic, it looks like it's slid forward.

Please e-mail us here.

The hitch in the last photo is still extended. It is just black and in the shadow.

Now is a fine time to tell me read a rule book, Darryl. It’s been 16 years since I built that hitch.

I will find some good photos tomorrow and post them..

Vern in a T-shirt 

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

Now is a fine time to tell me read a rule book, Darryl. It’s been 16 years since I built that hitch.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who mentioned rules?
I think that truck of yours should be held up more often as an example of how to build out a truck. There's so many details, like the sliding hitch, that were ahead of their time. The inclined Jeep is among the ideas that people today are just beginning to look for.

Please e-mail us here.

Well, ya know Vern does stretch the "rules" to fit his needs.  Seems to me that 'bout 10-12 years ago, he was told that running just the outside tires would overload his hub bearings on his drives.........

Are the bearing loads equal?  Nope.  Are they within design limits? Apparently.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net