Barth Motorhomes - Anyone have one?

RV_

Currently there are lots of retro and vintage RVs experiencing a resurgence. The Barth is pretty unique among motor homes and they still have a big following in smaller numbers. Barth's are pretty much all aluminum cabins siding and roofs in their motor homes.

Here's one for sale for ~ $23k http://www.tophrestorations.ca/barthregal31.html#more

Here is the fan website: http://www.barthmobile.com/

"Barth was founded by Bob Barth who started building all-aluminum travel trailers in 1963. Barth built motorhomes from 1973 to 1998. Barth also built some Class-C motorhomes and travel trailers.

The 1970's and 1980's Barth motorhomes are primarily on Chevy P-30 chassis with a Chevy 454 engine. They range in size from 22' to 35'.

In the 90's, Barth built several lines of diesel pusher motorhomes with Caterpillar, Cummins, and Detroit diesel engines. They also built gas units on Chevy and John Deere chassis.
The units are well built with a metal frame and aluminum riveted siding. Sort of a boxy version of an Airstream.

Barth, unlike some RV manufacturers, didn't include the bumpers in the length."

Source: http://www.viewrvs.com/motorhome/barth/barth.php

I just wonder if any SKPs own and RV in one. They are definitely an interesting vintage RV, of that I'm sure.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, there has been one sitting in front of a junkyard here in Yuma, AZ. for a number of years. When it first appeared it didn't look too bad. But the sun and time have not been good to it. There was a retired California Highway Patrolman and his wife who used to spend the winter in the park that we stayed in in Yuma. That Barth was one sharp looking rig. He maintained that MH with kid gloves. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago and I haven't seen it since. In our travels I have seen several the last number of years.

There used to be someone active on these forums who traveled in a Barth, but I can't recall who it was. I don't believe that they have been around in 10 years or so. I know from having exchanged notes with him that his was one of the later models and was diesel powered. We knew a couple with an early 90's model that was on a John Deere chassis and I believe that was Ford powered. I know that at one time FMC was building on a John Deere chassis that was powered by a rear engine gas Chrysler 440. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

RV, there has been one sitting in front of a junkyard here in Yuma, AZ. for a number of years. When it first appeared it didn't look too bad. But the sun and time have not been good to it. There was a retired California Highway Patrolman and his wife who used to spend the winter in the park that we stayed in in Yuma. That Barth was one sharp looking rig. He maintained that MH with kid gloves. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago and I haven't seen it since. In our travels I have seen several the last number of years.

That could very well be one I've seen online, via Phoenix Craigslist. Here's one, but not the one I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of I seem to remember being more Aluminium than painted metal.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Kirk,

That tweaked my memory. It was more than ten years ago I believe his name was Barth Bill here on the forums.

The rest is personal stuff for our friends here, and long, so the folks here who can't read easily, object to more than three lines, or not friends can stop now.

I'm about to close the sale of our Louisiana acreage, house, and outbuildings, in the next couple of weeks, and can finally move back in with my babe in Colorado. It took two months to sell and after sale another month to get to closing. I was surprised it took more than a week to sell! The first couple over 40 that saw it bought it, the others couldn't qualify. Since we are moving you can see all the pics of it here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/755-Princeton-Rd-Princeton-LA-71067/109810803_zpid/?

We had 30 Amp, water, and sewage with the Macerator pump next to the shop, and did 2X6 walls floors and roof on concrete foundation.

Walls floors and roof, dual pane windows double hung, ⅝ residential sheet rock, hardyboard house siding, 25kw water-cooled natural gas auto switching backup generator with a Mitsubishi engine, all granite counters and Corian sinks in the bathrooms, a giant shower with stone walls, and a gun cabinet in the master closet. We made a home but it was only until we were through helping out our two then one remaining parent. Finally done with the South. We'll only miss a few friends, my good friends are all dead but three.

We are updating our new to us Colorado home for keeping or selling, as we just wanted out of the heat ASAP, I got to thinking about what motorhome, if we got one, to handle the salt residue up there in winter. Barth came to mind because of the all aluminum cabins and roofs. But we are fiver drivers so will hold our water until we've been there a while.

Anyway, I just finally sold my restored vintage Ford 601 WorkMaster tractor with dirt scoop, grader and box blades, and boom. That was the last major item I needed to sell here. Earlier I sold the Scamp Fiver, the Ram diesel long bed truck, the HHR with Flames on the front, and traded in the 2015 Elantra on my new 2019 Subaru Forester.

Lynda wanted a Subaru but since she kept her contractor table and compound miter saws, nail Guns and pancake compressor, she wanted a Subaru Baja. They were discontinued in 2006. It's like a shrunk down El Camino with four doors, a back seat with a pass through hatch in the bed front behind the rear seat, and a bed extender: https://www.vehiclehistory.com/report/subaru/baja/2006/photos

I bought her one that was like new inside and out but with the high mileage we had it resealed with new water pump, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and new timing belt, as well as a new Turbo. It flies and does all a city person needs in a pickup. But the fuel mileage is terrible in the Turbo with 17-22 mpg tops! We are likely going to replace it with a Tesla Model 3, or a used Model S two engine AWD. Then just a small trailer we can tow with the Forester. Lots of change.

That refurbished Barth in my above link for $23k got me to thinking about them. Since no one here uses one I'll just wait until we've settled in before we decide on a Class C, or B, or motorhome. I'd rather have a vintage fully restored rig, rather than new or run of the mill motorhome. One like the Barth, Lazy Daze etc.

So we'll table that for now.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, RV_ said:

I believe his name was Barth Bill here on the forums.

It was something of the sort. He was the one who got me to looking at/for them. If you are still interested in them there is a website called Barthmobile and they have a section listing some that are for sale. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,

That link was already in my post above, but thanks.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 year later...
Yes- we have a 1985 Barth Regal, (30ft) and love it.
Just a bit of history: Barth motorhomes, is now a long gone company (1963-1998). See: Video (about 6 minutes. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJ6NU4Z87M
The Barth was built on the jet aircraft concept-all aluminum. 2,120 rivets were used and the company made about 300 per year to order. See: http://truckroadservice.com/barth_attachments/Barth_Success.pdf

I found the file on a Barth that will give you an idea of what these motorhomes are like. All aluminium, only wood in interior pieces, heavily insulated, ac/heat rooftop units, generator, etc. This one is just an example that was for sale. Ours is this same floor plan. What's not shown in this expose' is that the bathroom is a full bath-with a tub/shower combination.

1985 Barth Regal
28' Gas unit
Chevy Chassis
156,000 miles
2 fuel tanks total 75 Gallons
6.5 kw Onan generator
Air Bag Suspension
Zip Dee Awning
HWI Leveling System
2 Rooftop Air Conditioners
LP Gas Furnace
Digital Flat Screen TV in front