Hydraulic jack questions for DRV owners

rynosback

Well, add me to the list of people that have had there front hydraulic jacks fail. Thinking that I might have a couple of options.

1. Lippert covers it and replaces the landing gear with the newer style. If they cover it, still waiting to hear back from them. My concern is that it is a heck of a drive from California. And this time of year, weather could be iffy. For the ones that have gone this route, how are the new ones holding up? I have heard that the newer jacks are shorter.

2. Going to Roberts Quality RV & Service repair in Moore’s Hill, IN. I have heard nothing but great things and that they are top notch with rebuilding the rams. But this has the same drawback, a heck of a drive from California and this time of year can be iffy. Are you happy that you went this way and any advice?

3. Trying to find a local or somewhat local place to get it done.

Thanks for you incite and advice. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Not sure what the source of your issue is, but I have a Lippert system on my Teton and being it is out of any sort of warranty, I have been looking for the best local source to help with my weeping cylinders.  I am greatful I dont have those pesky aluminum cylinders found on the DRVs(I owned a SS for a few years).  I will be removing the landing gear cylinders from my coach and taking them to a somewhat local hydraulic shop for rebuilding.  They also offer to do the removal/reinstall in their yard.  Not sure where you are in Cali, but it might be a shorter drive than IN.  And the weather will likely be better.  PM me is interested. 

Marcel

8 hours ago, rynosback said:

Well, add me to the list of people that have had there front hydraulic jacks fail.

What is the definition of your failure,

1- Leaking oil

2- dropping on there own when traveling

3- not holding the position.

I have had numbers  2&3. #2 was a procedural problem that I had operated a slide and didn't re-pressurize the landing jacks. #3 I feel is a design problem but I'm not ready for the limited stroke cylinder so for parked for long I used tripod to support some of the pin weight.

If I had #1 or #3 was excessive, I would be at Hydraulic rebuilt shop with cylinders in add.

Question on the landing jacks load. If a person has 20-25 % of the load on the pin what would be the static weight on the landing jacks, would it be up to 33% of load. And then the gussy wind blows and the dymanic loading could be ???

Clay My DRV starting setting on the jacks 4 years ago this month

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

If you're stuck on having Lippert do the work, pull the rams and ship them to their location. Cheaper and less driving. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

13 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Not sure what the source of your issue is, but I have a Lippert system on my Teton and being it is out of any sort of warranty, I have been looking for the best local source to help with my weeping cylinders.  I am greatful I dont have those pesky aluminum cylinders found on the DRVs(I owned a SS for a few years).  I will be removing the landing gear cylinders from my coach and taking them to a somewhat local hydraulic shop for rebuilding.  They also offer to do the removal/reinstall in their yard.  Not sure where you are in Cali, but it might be a shorter drive than IN.  And the weather will likely be better.  PM me is interested. 

Sent you a PM

13 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

What is the definition of your failure,

1- Leaking oil

2- dropping on there own when traveling

3- not holding the position.

I have had numbers  2&3. #2 was a procedural problem that I had operated a slide and didn't re-pressurize the landing jacks. #3 I feel is a design problem but I'm not ready for the limited stroke cylinder so for parked for long I used tripod to support some of the pin weight.

If I had #1 or #3 was excessive, I would be at Hydraulic rebuilt shop with cylinders in add.

Question on the landing jacks load. If a person has 20-25 % of the load on the pin what would be the static weight on the landing jacks, would it be up to 33% of load. And then the gussy wind blows and the dymanic loading could be ???

Clay My DRV starting setting on the jacks 4 years ago this month

My failure is #2 & #3.

#3 was the first to rear its head. I would drop .5 degrees in about an hour.

i called Lippert and they emailed me trouble shooting directions and went over the steps over the phone. The rear and center jacks testing fine. When I pulled the orange line off the RF jack fluid was POURING out of it. I pulled the LF one and it was dry coming off. As per there procedures I hit retract and fluid SHOT out of the line. There is not suppose to be any fluid coming out of the lines during this test. It was a little messy. In the process of doing these tests, the RF landing gear is now dropping.

Another member with a 2015 just started having them drop. They learned this because they were driving South out of Houston and started hearing some scraping sound when driving down the highway. LUCKILY the pulled over quickly and found that there RF gear was all of the down and SCRAPING the highway!! 

Edited by rynosback