Hydraulic Jacks Repair advice

rynosback

My front hydraulic landing jacks are internally bad, leaking down. Still waiting to see if Lippert will step up and do something. If they do nothing I have read that Robert’s Quality RV service & repair in Moore’s Hill, IN is the go to place.  But since I’m in California by San Francisco that is a hell of a drive. Any recommendations of a quality place closer that can rebuild them? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

SWECO Manufacturing in Sutter, CA less than 200 miles from you can rebuild, repair any hydraulic ram you have, Working for an irrigation dist I have done a lot of business with them, Their price will be about 1/2 what you pay at a dealer

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Ryan is wanting Lippert to "own" an inherent problem DRVs are having with the front jacks.  Lippert replaced ours two years ago N/C.  I had already made an appointment with Robets RV Repair prior to Lippert stepping up to the plate and covering our problem.

Sorry to hear you're having problems Ryan, good luck!!!!!!!

Dan

Edited by Dapperdan

LDSP.jpg

INDIANA is a long drive for a hydraulic ram repair when SWECO is within 200 miles, I know one guy that went there for repairs and he was amazed at the price and how fast they fixed him up. They rebuilt many backhoe rams for us and one excavator ram that had a big score on the shaft they sent to Sacramento Chrome craft and had it looking like new again. They also built a couple complete rams to our specs. When it comes to hydraulics they do it all

Jim Spence

14 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

SWECO Manufacturing in Sutter, CA less than 200 miles from you can rebuild, repair any hydraulic ram you have, Working for an irrigation dist I have done a lot of business with them, Their price will be about 1/2 what you pay at a dealer

Thanks I will look into them.

2 hours ago, Dapperdan said:

Ryan is wanting Lippert to "own" an inherent problem DRVs are having with the front jacks.  Lippert replaced ours two years ago N/C.  I had already made an appointment with Robets RV Repair prior to Lippert stepping up to the plate and covering our problem.

Sorry to hear you're having problems Ryan, good luck!!!!!!!

Dan

Thanks Dan, so do you have the newer style jacks? I had heard that they needed to re-weld new mounting points for the newer styled jacks. I also heard that they are shorter and have less stroke. 

On 10/11/2019 at 5:35 AM, Devilishjim said:

Thanks for the tip,  it they do not remove or install anything. 

I was afraid you might get that answer. You could have a local shop uninstall it and plug your lines so oil doesnt leak. Their should be a local garage close to Sutter that would do the install for you

Jim Spence

Most of the local RV repair places do not have pits for the jack to drop into. They jack up the front of the RV I would think by the king pin. No way I would want it done that way to put un needed or wanted stress on my rig. As it was not designed to raise that way or that much.

3 hours ago, rynosback said:

Most of the local RV repair places do not have pits for the jack to drop into. They jack up the front of the RV I would think by the king pin. No way I would want it done that way to put un needed or wanted stress on my rig. As it was not designed to raise that way or that much.

Leaving the trailer connected to the hitch in your truck and retracting the landing gear fully should allow you to unbolt and remove them.  There should be no need for a pit or to jack the front of the 5er up.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

run your jacks out to level trailer and block under frame and then retract jacks or leave hooked to tow vehicle. All the weight sits on the king pin when you are towing it and the highest they could go  which they wouldnt is until the backend hits which you come close to when you pull through road gutter to fast when you pull in to get fuel.. You can call IND and ask but I'm sure they do it the same way

Edited by Devilishjim

Jim Spence

7 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Leaving the trailer connected to the hitch in your truck and retracting the landing gear fully should allow you to unbolt and remove them.  There should be no need for a pit or to jack the front of the 5er up.

The front landing gear I think is about 4’ in length. And then there is the outer tube which extends  2-3” below the bottom of the coach. So the nose of the coach would need to go up about 2-2 1/2”. The few videos I have seen on removing them were over sewer drains. 

I could think of better places to work. If you had use of a backhoe and a field you could bury about 3 ft of 24" corrugated poly pipe and you would be in business

Jim Spence

On 10/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, rynosback said:

Thanks Dan, so do you have the newer style jacks? I had heard that they needed to re-weld new mounting points for the newer styled jacks. I also heard that they are shorter and have less stroke. 

I do have the "new" style rams.  They definately have a shorter stroke, we've gotten used to that.  Lippert had to re-configure the way our jacks are mounted.  There was cutting and welding going on but when it was all done Lippert did a fantastic job!  They also did some work in the pump area too but I can't remember just was was changed/eliminated.  That was over two years ago and we haven't had ANY issues since!

Good luck with your situation, I hope you find resolution.....

Dan

LDSP.jpg

2 hours ago, Dapperdan said:

I do have the "new" style rams.  They definately have a shorter stroke, we've gotten used to that.  Lippert had to re-configure the way our jacks are mounted.  There was cutting and welding going on but when it was all done Lippert did a fantastic job!  They also did some work in the pump area too but I can't remember just was was changed/eliminated.  That was over two years ago and we haven't had ANY issues since!

Good luck with your situation, I hope you find resolution.....

Dan

Thanks Dan, working on a solution and will post up, start a new thread sharing what I did to solve the problem.