We're Coming Back! And Need Your Advice!

Dan and Rita

Hello All,

Nine year ago we come off of the road due to our parent's health situation. We want to go back again but in a Class A this time around.

It has become very difficult to determine which manufactures/models are considered to have the build quality for full-time use.

We began looking at Class C's but have come to realized a lack of storage both inside as well as outside for full timing.

We need to stay with a used rig and gas engine to accommodate our budget. We feel a 26'-30' Class A would fulfill our needs with the right floor plan but could stretch that some if needed.

Any suggestions, recommendations or good sources for further research would be greatly appreciated.

Seems to be a lack of information on the part of the manufactures to supply construction and materials used in their products.

So much out there that it has become mind boggling. With your help, the folks that know, perhaps we can make a better choice.

Thanks,

Dan and Rita Spencer

USAF Retired

There are differing opinions about what RV is best or better, but if I were in your position, I would be shopping for one of the following, based on our 12 years on the road fulltime in a gas powered class A. 

Tiffin Open Road, previously the Allegro

Newmar Canyon Star 

Winnebago Adventurer

In my opinion, those are the top manufacturers of gasoline powered motorhomes for quality and reliability. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

There are differing opinions about what RV is best or better, but if I were in your position, I would be shopping for one of the following, based on our 12 years on the road fulltime in a gas powered class A. 

Tiffin Open Road, previously the Allegro

Newmar Canyon Star 

Winnebago Adventurer

In my opinion, those are the top manufacturers of gasoline powered motorhomes for quality and reliability. 

Thanks Kirk,

We'll certainly check them out. It's difficult finding the right floor plan and keep the length and number of slides to a minimum. When did manufactures become so slide happy!

Dan

I concur with what Kirk said.  I have seen many of those out and about.  The owners that of them that I have talked to all said they liked the rigs.  Wife and I full-time in a 33ft Class C.  It does lack storage that you get on Class A's and 5ers.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

12 minutes ago, StraitRVing said:

I concur with what Kirk said.  I have seen many of those out and about.  The owners that of them that I have talked to all said they liked the rigs.  Wife and I full-time in a 33ft Class C.  It does lack storage that you get on Class A's and 5ers.  

Thanks Doc,

I checked your rig out on a YouTube Video. Very Plush, lots of nice features. Did it come with hydraulic leveling jacks? I'm a advocate of AZDEL and hope more manufactures begin using it. I run every time I here the word "Luan". Is your roof TPO? 

Dan

Hi Dan,

Our did come with hydraulic leveling jacks.  We have the TPO roof with RV Armor on top of it.  We still inspect the roof monthly when we check vent pipes, a/c, etc. and then clean it every quarter.

1 minute ago, StraitRVing said:

Hi Dan,

Our did come with hydraulic leveling jacks.  We have the TPO roof with RV Armor on top of it.  We still inspect the roof monthly when we check vent pipes, a/c, etc. and then clean it every quarter.

I'm not a fan of TPO roofs. Had nothing but problems with our 5th wheel. I checked out RV Armor, not cheap but they make it sound good. Too bad the RV industry couldn't just use it in the beginning and we wouldn't need to protect our interest.

Dan

16 minutes ago, Dan & Rita Spencer said:

I'm not a fan of TPO roofs.

Dan

Me neither.  The rough texture of TPO vinyl holds dirt and is tough to keep clean.  The felt-like underlayer absorbs and wicks moisture.  My present roof has smooth vinyl on it and I really like it, easy to clean.  Dirt, algae, mold, and mildew just wash right off.  Looks as good at five years as it did new.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

19 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

My present roof has smooth vinyl on it and I really like it, easy to clean.  Dirt, algae, mold, and mildew just wash right off.  Looks as good at five years as it did new.

What is your present roof material and on what RV?

Dan

Edited by Dan & Rita Spencer

Our RV home had an EDPM roof which served well but the constant chalking was a pain. My present little travel trailer has an aluminum roof with is much like the RVs we had back before 1990. Those have good and bad points too. We have two friends who have had RV Armor and both have been happy. One of them was pleased enough the first time that when he traded to a new motorhome he had RV Armor do his roof as soon as the 2 year warranty was up.

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

We have two friends who have had RV Armor and both have been happy. One of them was pleased enough the first time that when he traded to a new motorhome he had RV Armor do his roof as soon as the 2 year warranty was up.

StraitRVing like his RV Armor roof as well.

You suggested we take a look at the Allegro Open Road 30GA and we like what we see so far in pictures and videos. It would have to be one 5-7 years old to align with our budget. I especially like the molded fiberglass roof. I'm trying to find more about the outside sidewall construction. Of course Rita likes all of the inside storage! Men have different priorities, right!

Know of anyone members here on the forum that I could sent a private message to and ask some questions about their Open Road?

Dan

21 hours ago, Dan and Rita said:

I'm not a fan of TPO roofs. Had nothing but problems with our 5th wheel. I checked out RV Armor, not cheap but they make it sound good. Too bad the RV industry couldn't just use it in the beginning and we wouldn't need to protect our interest.

Dan

I agree.  When we purchased the RV we had RV Armor come right out and do the roof.  Brand new RV and the tech found issues with the TPO already.  He basically removed a lot of it and replaced it then put down the RV Armor on top.  I think he might have replaced it with vinyl and then did the RV Armor.  

If you can find a well cared for unit, and not afraid of age, I'd also add:

-National's Dolphin to your list - 36' coaches were available on Workhorse with 8.1 5 & I believe 6spd Allisons. Or the Ford F53 with the 5spd transmission. They were, and if properly cared for, are, good solid coaches.

-Also, Newmar had the Mountain Aire available in Gas Class A's too. Probably one of the top quality and appointed gas coaches of the mid 2000 era.

-Finally. Often overlooked, are two other smaller volume makers: 1) Tipple E - Made some very nice coaches, I believe mostly on F53 chassis; 2) Rexhall - Also made some unique, very livable layout gas Class A's. Both Workhorse and F53. 

===

And if you want something a bit unique, the Workhorse UFO Chassis, with the 8.1 with Allison 5spd, rear engine coaches - are mostly loved by their owners. Monaco's Holiday Rambler and Rexhall - would be the two I'd focus on if those grab our attention. The 37' Rexhall UFO based unit, had two large T-Rex Superslides (And Bill Rex, designed one of the best slides in the industry, and one piece fiberglass roofs too, also Steel Framed all around the cockpit for added safety.), was soooo big - you could square-dance inside of it. More room then many 40-42' DP's... 

Happy hunting to you,

Smitty 

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

11 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

If you can find a well cared for unit, and not afraid of age, I'd also add:

-National's Dolphin to your list - 36' coaches were available on Workhorse with 8.1 5 & I believe 6spd Allisons. Or the Ford F53 with the 5spd transmission. They were, and if properly cared for, are, good solid coaches.

-Also, Newmar had the Mountain Aire available in Gas Class A's too. Probably one of the top quality and appointed gas coaches of the mid 2000 era.

-Finally. Often overlooked, are two other smaller volume makers: 1) Tipple E - Made some very nice coaches, I believe mostly on F53 chassis; 2) Rexhall - Also made some unique, very livable layout gas Class A's. Both Workhorse and F53. 

===

And if you want something a bit unique, the Workhorse UFO Chassis, with the 8.1 with Allison 5spd, rear engine coaches - are mostly loved by their owners. Monaco's Holiday Rambler and Rexhall - would be the two I'd focus on if those grab our attention. The 37' Rexhall UFO based unit, had two large T-Rex Superslides (And Bill Rex, designed one of the best slides in the industry, and one piece fiberglass roofs too, also Steel Framed all around the cockpit for added safety.), was soooo big - you could square-dance inside of it. More room then many 40-42' DP's... 

Happy hunting to you,

Smitty 

Smitty,

Thanks, I needed some more option to research. This will keep me busy for awhile!

We considered looking at a Tiffin Open Road 30GA but was sold. That was one of the suggestions from Kirt W..

I sent you a private message with a couple of questions.

Dan

1 hour ago, Dan and Rita said:

I needed some more option to research. This will keep me busy for awhile!

Realize that National RV went out of business in 2007 and there were problems with construction materials that had much to do with that collapse. I believe that Workhorse chassis stopped building for motorhomes in 2011. Thus any 

If you are into the vintage RV interests, one all aluminum brand motorhome is much beloved, the Barth. I'm going to post the info here in this forum, so as not to post it twice. But here is one restored and for sale ~ $23k: http://www.tophrestorations.ca/barthregal31.html#more

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

32 minutes ago, RV_ said:

If you are into the vintage RV interests, one all aluminum brand motorhome is much beloved, the Barth. I'm going to post the info here in this forum, so as not to post it twice. But here is one restored and for sale ~ $23k: http://www.tophrestorations.ca/barthregal31.html#more

I'm not so much into vintage RV's, all though I do like their look. Right now, I'm more into some thing that is reliable, comfortable and will fit into our budget.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, Dan and Rita said:

I'm not so much into vintage RV's, all though I do like their look. Right now, I'm more into some thing that is reliable, comfortable and will fit into our budget.

RV,

I went back and re-looked the "Barth" and I have to say, it's a good looking coach and the floor plan would fit our needs very well. I especially like the fact that it doesn't have a slide! 

The more research I do, the more I want one without a slide provided it has the right floor plan. When you weight all of the pros and cons of slides, it's my opinion that the con's out weigh the pros by a long ways. 

The industry has become slide happy and it's hard to find a Class A, C or B+ without a slide anymore. Some as as many as 4-5 slides. I would like to see slides as an option. That might bring the price of a non-slide motorhome down?  

So as of this post, If I can convince my wife that we don't need slides, I've just narrowed my search down greatly!

Any suggestions in an A, C, or even a B+ without slides in the range of 26'-35' max and a gasser to meet our budget would be appreciated.

Dan

12 minutes ago, Dan and Rita said:

Any suggestions in an A, C, or even a B+ without slides in the range of 26'-35' max and a gasser to meet our budget would be appreciated.

You might look at the Lazy Daze (LD) Class C which has no slides.  The Mid-Bath (MB) at 26.5' or 27' (depends on the year) might meet your needs.  LD does make a 30', but its payload is low, particularly for fulltiming. 

I don't remember if you said where in the country you are, but there are regional LD get-togethers around the country where you can see the different floorplans.  (Lazy Daze is a factory-direct manufacturer based in Montclair, CA   They are not, however, a custom manufacturer, having a limited amount of options, but the base models are well equipped.)

Lazy Daze website:  http://www.lazydaze.com/

Lazy Daze Owner's Forum:  https://www.lazydazeowners.com/  (which includes a classified section).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 minutes ago, LindaH said:

You might look at the Lazy Daze (LD) Class C which has no slides.  The Mid-Bath (MB) at 26.5' or 27' (depends on the year) might meet your needs.  LD does make a 30', but its payload is low, particularly for fulltiming. 

I don't remember if you said where in the country you are, but there are regional LD get-togethers around the country where you can see the different floorplans.  (Lazy Daze is a factory-direct manufacturer based in Montclair, CA   They are not, however, a custom manufacturer, having a limited amount of options, but the base models are well equipped.)

Lazy Daze website:  http://www.lazydaze.com/

Lazy Daze Owner's Forum:  https://www.lazydazeowners.com/  (which includes a classified section).

Linda,

I agree, Lazy Daze are a great Class C and I've been looking at them for years. The Mid-Bath 26.5 would be a good fit for us. Anything after 2010 has the best model year changes.

The problem being we live in East Tennessee and LD's are "As scarce as houndstooth"!  

I wish it had more outside storage but as the saying goes "There is no perfect RV". There is a Rally for Lazy Daze in TN at the end of the month that we may crash.

Thanks for your suggestion. I keep looking for them. There reccently was a nice 26.5 near Atlanta but was a 2004.

Dan

I'd agree that Lazy Daze is a really good class C and one of the best if not the best. The catch is finding one for a reasonable price, especially east of the Mississippi river. In addition, nearly any class A will have better storage than a similar quality class C. The Barth could prove to be a similar situation since they have not been built in 20 years and are one of the classics and so a collector's RV. If you are interested in the classic group, you may want to check out the GM Motorcoach that was built from 1973 through 1978 and was front wheel drive. A more recent company that was once an independent was Safari Motorcoach. Safari was bought by Monaco in 2001. I never owned a Safari but we sure did drool over several of the Serengeti models in 1998 when we were shopping for our new coach for fulltime travels. 

Another classic RV to consider is the Revcon motorhome from the early 1970s.  In the late 1960s, Revcon approached GM about using the Olds Toronado front wheel drivetrain in an RV.  GM made them build a prototype and do extensive testing to prove the engine and transmission would hold up to the rigors of powering a motorhome.

After Revcon did all of the R&D, GM decided to produce their own motorhone using the same kind of aluminum body and front wheel drive platform that Revcon had developed.

Edited by Lou Schneider

A comment on slide vs non slides. (Understand you've decided you prefer non slide, so more so those who might read this thread in the future:)!).

When traveling for months at a time, or full time, and having a period of weather that keeps you in doors for multiple days at a time - that extra space of a slide, is a nice feature:)! 

No question, that a non slide coach, will never have problems with, well - a slide:)! But also if the coach you choose is of good quality, solid chassis, and solid components - slides will be relatively reliable. (And yes, some coaches, and trailers and fivers - did have problems with slides, especially in model year changes and with new designed slide approaches. But those should be weeded out during the search process.) Normal maintenance of slides is not significant. And yes over time, slide toppers may need replacing. And also no question that a slide's insulation is not as good as the rest of a coach. 

So trade off's for sure. For those who might consider a coach with a slide, research between Electric and Hydraulic. And look at Deep slides vs shallow slides. A negative of coaches with lots of slides, say four, is that you lose about 1' of wall space (~6") on each side of the slide, for cabinets. And cabinets within a slide, are usually 6-8" less high, which reduces storage space. Access to lower bays with four slide coaches, can be a PITA too. 

A good compromise, is Three Slides in a coach, with no slide not he Passenger/Patio front living area of the coach. 

All that being said, some of the Prevost based 40' coaches without slides, are surprisingly affordable, and usually solid coaches. We just had a friend leave the park we're in here in Oregon, in a 2nd year Prevost 40' based non slide Country Coach. The person helping her drive the coach (Owner lost her husband 3-4 years ago, and a fellow park member and Country Coach owner drives with her when she comes to Oregon in the summer from Tucson, and the back home at the end of the season.), commented that even with 160K + on this coach, it was just a dream to drive, solid, and incredible power with the Detroit DD60 series... And, he's 6' 5" tall, and finds the coach surprisingly livable for the few days of travel each way. (He did say, he would not trade his two slide 40' Intrigue for it:)! As he would rather have the slides, then the headroom!!!

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I agree with Smitty. Most coaches and RV's have slides for a reason. Livability.  They make a big difference when you are in the RV for months/years at a time. That is what folks want, and that is what manufacturers are reacting to. 

I know that you stated it as your opinion, but the statement that "When you weight all of the pros and cons of slides, it's my opinion that the con's out weigh the pros by a long ways. (emphasis mine)" is a head-scratcher to me.  A well-constructed RV with properly sized slide mechanisms is about as worry free as any other part of the RV.  We're entering our tenth year of full timing, and we've had slide issues twice, both fixed by myself in less than an hour.  One was a simple cleaning/lubrication issue and the other was a broken shear bolt.

And this past year I replaced the bulb seal around the perimeter of the slide that has been on the "sunny side" for several summers as it was beginning to look brittle to me. That job took about 2 hours.  Prior to going full time we had a different fifth wheel for about ten years and never had an issue with the slide on that one. 

The notion that slides are a significant or ongoing source of problems may have been accurate at one time, but I don't think it is accurate now, at least with quality RV's. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels