Intermittent air pressure alarm **UPDATE**

scubadave

99 Volvo VNL610 with Cummins N14. Drove about 150 miles this morning and all of a sudden the alarm sounds, no red triangle and no red lights on the air pressure gauges. Pressure reading on both gauges about 105 psi. Alarm sounded for a couple minutes then stopped, air pressure increase towards the end of the alarm. Again about 15 minutes later the alarm came on again but lasted for less than 5 seconds, this time pressure reading about 115. Thus happened a total of about 5 times then nothing further. Drove an additional 30 miles until stopping and everything OK. Any idea what may be causing this?

Edited by scubadave

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

My rig did the same thing 2 weeks ago.  It's a 1997 Volvo WIA 64.  Had my mechanic check it out....he changed out my pressure relief valve.  Left the next day from Snow Hill NC.......im now in Fresno CA.  Everything works fine.  The pressure relief valve was 300 bucks and 91 bucks for install.

Please explain the governor comments. The gauges were showing above 100 psi, and the alarm shouldn't come on until the system pressure falls to roughly 60 psi. This sounds more like a pressure switch/sensor or wiring issue than a governor issue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

26 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Please explain the governor comments. The gauges were showing above 100 psi, and the alarm shouldn't come on until the system pressure falls to roughly 60 psi. This sounds more like a pressure switch/sensor or wiring issue than a governor issue.

do they warn also of over pressure?

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

After about 1300 miles after a new governor the alarm sounded twice for about 2 seconds. Today the compressor would cycle about every 9 minutes, much better than the 2 minutes before the governor change. 

Since the mechanic mentioned a filter in the air dryer, is their such a thing and if so, where might it be located on a 99 VNL610?

Dave

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

49 minutes ago, scubadave said:

After about 1300 miles after a new governor the alarm sounded twice for about 2 seconds. Today the compressor would cycle about every 9 minutes, much better than the 2 minutes before the governor change. 

Since the mechanic mentioned a filter in the air dryer, is their such a thing and if so, where might it be located on a 99 VNL610?

Dave

On the inside of the drivers frame rail underneath.  About at the location of the drivers side fuel fill door.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I would doubt that the desiccant cartridge would be the culprit. But if you have not changed it you should. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

6 hours ago, scubadave said:

Dave

You've got a leak somewhere, if your compressor is cycling that fast. The vent on the dryer may be an issue, but there's a leak somewhere. And, you've still got an issue wwith the alarm.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Scroll down on the Heavy Hauler Resource Guide to find the wiring diagrams specific to your truck. Some of them are integrated to the gauges, others have dedicated switches under the dash. There will be more than one sensor, one for the primary tank, and one for the secondary. They both trigger the same alarm, so you need to check both systems.

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, Flying Finn said:

You may want to check brake  chambers.  The "pancake" rubber baffle inside the rear chamber was old and started leaking.

$3.74 @ Napa in Florida.  Bought one of the pancakes to have on hand when traveling.  Made sure to tell the wife it's NOT a dog bowl.  

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee