HDT Rally Trip 35,000 lbs Lighter than Normal

Nuke-E

So plans for me this year are a little different than normal--a wedding to attend the day before the rally starts (staying in a hotel), and a flight from Chicago for a conference in south Florida the day after it ends.  I'm no stranger to 600 and 700 mile days with the RV, but I'm not keen on rushing out of the rally (the departure breakfast needs time to digest!), driving 750 miles, stopping to get the RV set up, dropping Milo off, and hopping on a plane, with only a few hours to spare.

The RV can stay where it is now (I'd like to think it's safer here than in Chicago), and Milo will have two cats to keep him company while I'm in Florida.  I'm also hoping to rent a certain car for an extended test drive--but only if the local place has one when it's time to hit the road. 

Those of you that have done it before or are doing it this year: Any particular hotel recommendations?  (Or anti-recommendations?) 

For anyone else, if there's something you need me to bring let me know--may ship some stuff out later this week.  If this is my year to win something in one of the drawings, I fully expect Murphy's Law to make it a giant stuffed animal or something, given the limited space.  Gail---don't get any ideas!!

Safe travels, and see you all soon!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

What? Milo isn't coming? That's gonna limit our conversation, Dave. 🤣😃

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, Big5er said:

What? Milo isn't coming? That's gonna limit our conversation, Dave. 🤣😃

Milo is DEFINITELY coming.  All of Gail's sausage would go to waste otherwise.   He just doesn't get to go to Florida.

Gail also made clear (might as well have been bold red capital letters) that Milo is invited to the rally. I'm his +1, not the other way around. 🤣

He's learned a couple of new tricks since the last time you saw him--he'll "whisper" and "smile" on command.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Oh, well in that case you are back in my social circle....or rather he is :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

And that is a very elite social circle. We lost Ian last winter and I hope Izzy can fill it to maintain our spot in the circle. Dredd is rather particular.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

22 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

And that is a very elite social circle. We lost Ian last winter and I hope Izzy can fill it to maintain our spot in the circle. Dredd is rather particular.

Brad

It can be an elite social circle, but at the same time a rough crowd.  Dredd is just trying to make sure he enters at the right time.  We'll miss Ian! 😥

I'm slowly remembering why I like the RV.  It's a whole lot easier to bring everything than to figure out what to bring and how to fit it in a car.

Suit for the wedding, space for Milo, Milo's bed (he's that spoiled), Milo's food, Milo's treats, Milo's leash, stuff for the cooking seminar, tools, parts, spare parts, and hopefully enough room for a change of clothes or two for me.

When everyone is eating your gourmet offering at the seminar, try and have some truck stop beef jerky in your pocket for you.  Unless your cooking is better than mine, then don’t worry about it.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, Sculptor said:

When everyone is eating your gourmet offering at the seminar, try and have some truck stop beef jerky in your pocket for you.  Unless your cooking is better than mine, then don’t worry about it.

Milo helped finish off a bag of beef jerky on the drive to Hutch, so we had to actually cook something edible.

I had help though, including an expert Oreo smasher borrowed from the Springfield gang, and two of his older .  Kinda neat to think about the first time I did this in 2015--4 years later they're quite a bit more capable and independent!

For anyone interested, recipes for what we made are posted here.  Outside of a little traffic in Kansas City, the trip back east has been smooth sailing. Less than an hour to go tonight.

As always, great seeing everyone who made it.  Until next time!

Edited by Nuke-E

Just want to give a shout to all the great people who attended the rally.  We met lots of old friends, and made a bunch of new ones too.  The depth and diversity of knowledge is amazing, and the willingness to share is beyond belief.  It was a great 10 days.  A big thanks to the Gail and Steve, and all the presenters.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Just want to give a shout to all the great people who attended the rally.  We met lots of old friends, and made a bunch of new ones too.  The depth and diversity of knowledge is amazing, and the willingness to share is beyond belief.  It was a great 10 days.  A big thanks to the Gail and Steve, and all the presenters.

While I didn't get to stick around long enough to enjoy it, I'm sure everyone appreciated a great departure-day breakfast courtesy of you and your better half too!