5th Wheel Pack Bearings

Ski

sounds like i am behind schedule to do my wheel bearings... but they are "never lube"?. (fiver new in june 2001).

but then a number of years it went nowhere. do to lack of any money. i had to coast downhills to save on the cost of fuel. turn motors off at red (long ones that is) lights

long trip planed next spring. so it would be best to change them out this winter. and no coasting with a trailer in tow.

heck i even have the "factory" spare tire, it has never ever even been mounted to a hub, let alone rolled. still has the factory injection tits on it. but should dump it, if for nothing other than age. but it is a good thing i never used my spare, the ones on the ground ( no not factory) never had a flat there, except when i took it out of storage (dry rot).

normally i spend more on maintenance, than repairs. saves trouble.

Edited by packnrat

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

sounds like i am behind schedule to do my wheel bearings... but they are "never lube"?. (fiver new in june 2001).

Nev-R-Lube bearings are not user serviceable. They are a sealed bearing system.  You are supposed to check them annually for End Play. 

Nev-R-Lube Bearings Info

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

6 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Every 10 years.

Both Dexter and Dexter owned Al-ko-Kober state every 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever comes first, for standard bearings.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Each Nev-R-Lube bearing assembly runs about $150, and you'll need a pretty beefy hydraulic press to do the work. So not a cheap change-out.

From the e-trailer website:

What is the life expectancy of these never Lube bearings. asked by: Mark

Helpful Expert Reply:

Dexter Nev-R-Lube Bearings such as the 50MM # 31-71-3 do not have a specific maintenance or replacement schedule. These are pre-lubricated at the factory, which will make it resistant to contamination, and sealed for life so there is typically no bearing maintenance needed. In nearly all cases they last the life of the trailer.

Now I can't vouch for the "expert" here or that your 18-year old bearings are still good to go, but you might want to follow the check procedure on the "Fact Sheet" I linked above and see what you think. FWIW I ran them for over ten years on my past fifth-wheel before I sold it with the original bearings still in it, and am at 8 years on my current trailer. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

When we got our rig and took it to Mor/Ryde for inspection of the bearings and IS after 4 years, they said the bearings should be good for 100k miles, but they should be inspected for end play every year.  They said a lot depends on how heavily each spindle is loaded and how much torsional loading they receive due to sharp turns, backing, tire scrubbing, etc.  Our 7k axles run less than 80% loaded or between 2500 lbs and 2800 lbs per wheel position (3500 lbs/wheel rated).  In 2018 (after 10 yrs), we had one bearing getting close to the max end play and had them all replaced ($1200).  If we could have economically converted to standard wheel bearings, we would have done that.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

i can not say as to the "never lube" brand rv bearings. but i have seen many of the sealed communist chinese made bearings with little to NO lube in them from the factory, or new out of the box already out of speck. (motorcycle wheel  bearings mostly here).

kinda like decades back it was bad to buy ANY motor part for a vw beetle. "made in brazil" 99% were bad or just did not fit.

but till i can get to it, to know the correct part to buy it is all talk.

Edited by packnrat