Medicare Supplements

Sorry,  I wasn't clear enough.

The senior65 link was just to point to a concise explanation of how CT's Supplement rules varied from most other states.

A couple posts above that one, you'll see my post that includes a direct link to the official CT portal with the current prices.   My understanding is that information posted there, has been agreed to, by each of the insurers, the state of CT and CMS. 

Are they in sync with the CMS site?  I assume so, but have never checked.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready to sign up for Medicare and a medicare supplement plan. Based on my own research, I'm pretty sure I know what I need, but since agents cost no more than going directly to the insurer, I will try an agent. I was going to look for one who has focused experience on Medicare, but then saw some who also claim they help you resolve claim/billing issues down the road (with the provider or insurance company). Two examples are MedicareFAQ.com and BoomerBenefits.com. Does anyone have experience with these broker/agents or any others that truly do help you solve problems after they've signed you and you've paid your premiums. 

Edited by siegmann
typo

10 years with Medicare, have never had a problem with them and only a couple of our supplemental which I resolved with a phone call.   If you go to providers who agree to accept Medicare, there really shouldn't be any questions.  And if there is something that isn't covered, like refraction at the ophthalmologists, they let me know about it before hand so I can decline if I am not going to get new glasses that year.   Mind you we've had some hefty bills and never had a problem.  Maybe we are just lucky?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

10 years with Medicare, have never had a problem with them and only a couple of our supplemental which I resolved with a phone call.   If you go to providers who agree to accept Medicare, there really shouldn't be any questions.  And if there is something that isn't covered, like refraction at the ophthalmologists, they let me know about it before hand so I can decline if I am not going to get new glasses that year.   Mind you we've had some hefty bills and never had a problem.  Maybe we are just lucky?

I've been on Medicare for 8 years and, like you, haven't had any problems, either for me or my spouse.

I have learned one thing about lab tests that get rejected by Medicare. It's worth your while to file a protest and use whatever rationale applies in your case.  For me it's usually because I'm on a medication for which the standard of care necessitates more frequent tests than Medicare would normally allow.  What I've discovered is that if you appeal, the chances are pretty good that neither Quest nor Labcorp  will respond to Medicare's request for more information.  As a result, you will officially lose your appeal, but you don't have to pay for the test!  I've had this happen ~4 times in the past 2 years.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, docj said:

I've been on Medicare for 8 years and, like you, haven't had any problems, either for me or my spouse.

I have learned one thing about lab tests that get rejected by Medicare. It's worth your while to file a protest and use whatever rationale applies in your case.  For me it's usually because I'm on a medication for which the standard of care necessitates more frequent tests than Medicare would normally allow.  What I've discovered is that if you appeal, the chances are pretty good that neither Quest nor Labcorp  will respond to Medicare's request for more information.  As a result, you will officially lose your appeal, but you don't have to pay for the test!  I've had this happen ~4 times in the past 2 years.

I did that Quest lab tell me that I might have to pay for my CA125 test (I'm an Ovarian Cancer Survivor) but I told them to make sure they not that I'm in remission.  Medicare paid for it.    I learned while I was still on regular insurance that I always had to make sure they coded it for a patient WITH cancer diagnosis (you still have the diagnosis even in remission) not as an investigative test.     I would have paid for it because every 5 yrs I get another test just to make sure I'm still in remission - 27 yrs!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834