fishing permits?

packnrat

i read in a lot of posting about great fishing spots.

i am not much of a fisherman, so many places i know are now stocked as they were fished out decades back. (stocked fish does not taste very good to me).

but on to the question.

how does one deal with getting a "out of state permit" for only a day-week, etc.  here in cal, a day/week permit, costs half of a full years permit, and then the stamps.  i can not see dumping $100.usd for a couple days worth of legal fishing.  but then after all is said and done, around here one needs to pay again, just to access a public lake (but controlled by power and water company's based 100's of miles away). to go fishing. or must trespass to get to a river.

I like to fish, but being full timers, the nonresident licenses are not good at all....way too much money for the amount of fish you may catch.  I will get an annual license if we are going to be there for several months.

I have written my useless Congressmen about a senior national fishing license for basic fishing....catfish, perch, crappie, etc.  And buy additional stamps for certain game fish in an area that you might be fishing.  Not an response from anyone.

I like Texas state parks as if you are in the park, you can fish without a permit, provided you are on state property.  If in a boat, you need a license.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

15 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

I have written my useless Congressmen about a senior national fishing license for basic fishing

With fishing being a state controlled practice, there isn't much your congressman can do to change it. Perhaps you want fishing taken away from the states and become a federal agency? That is probably the only way a single permit will ever happen. Most states do have a senior fishing license for their residents, only. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If I am going to be in a state for several months and they do have good fishing, then I will get the annual license.  That is also true if I plan to return the following year.  Getting the daily ones is just too expensive.  Some states I have been too had a seasonal license for the spring and summer months.  Not many though.  That license was nearly 2/3rd the cost of the annual license and yet it has for only good for 3 or 4 months.  If the campground has a private lake then they promote fishing in their lake as no license is required as it is on private property.  The campgrounds tend to make a little money that way as they sell some basic fishing supplies in the store or they have a Bail & Tackle Shop at the lake that you can spend money at.

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

With fishing being a state controlled practice, there isn't much your congressman can do to change it. Perhaps you want fishing taken away from the states and become a federal agency? That is probably the only way a single permit will ever happen. Most states do have a senior fishing license for their residents, only. 

A drivers license is also State controlled. The States could grant resoprocity to out of State fishing license holders like they do for a drivers license. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Not a direct answer to the OPs post, but I have gone to this site ahead of time to get a license:  Online license

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

30 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

The States could grant resoprocity to out of State fishing license holders like they do for a drivers license. 

They could but your congressman wouldn't have any power to be involved in it. All that needs to be done is to convince the majority of voters in each of the 50 states that they should support this proposal, or at least convince the legislators in each of those states. To do so at the federal level is another issue. The feds contribute major highway funds and so congress has the power to force highway regulations by threatening to withhold those funds, but the federal government contributes little if anything to each state's budget for fish & wildlife so they have little or no power to do that, if they were inclined to take up that issue. Since most of the funding for fish & game programs in each state comes from their sale of licenses and sometimes from state tax revenues, even though I would benefit from such a program and would like to see it happen, realistically I see no probability of it ever becoming an issue for consideration by most states. 

If you are serious about getting involved in such an effort, there is a petition on the Passport America website for you to join. I believe that what they do is to link to another effort that has been around for several years called Fishing Petition.org. There are some 27 states that offer some type of discounted license for seniors and you can find information about that on the site Congressional Sportsmen if you are interested. This is a subject that comes up from time to time on just about all forums and social media that is popular with seniors. I don't recall when I first heard of it but it was before I retired nearly 20 years ago. To actually make any progress on such an issue there needs to be someone willing to invest a great deal of both time and money to make the effort progress. I can assure you that I do not have enough of either to be that person.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

The feds contribute major highway funds and so congress has the power to force highway regulations by threatening to withhold those funds, but the federal government contributes little if anything to each state's budget for fish & wildlife so they have little or no power to do that, if they were inclined to take up that issue.

The Federal government collects a 10% excise tax on fishing and boating equipment. The revenue is distributed to the states. There are some strings attached such as states must agree to not use fishing license receipts to fund any other purpose. The funds are currently distributed based on the number of licenses sold, so the creation of a National License or reciprocal license may hurt some states if a different apportionment formula could not be developed.

We enjoy catch and release trout fishing and gladly pay for an annual license if staying in the state a couple months.  We usually made it a point to do this and would move around within the state for different fishing spots.  It's well worth it to us to have the rivers and lakes managed professionally.  The states can manage better than the Federal government.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 7 months later...