"Active and Fit" gym membership?

bekent5090

I don't know your age, but I suspect quite a few of us on this forum are old enough to qualify for "Silver Sneakers" through our Medicare supplemental programs.  Silver Sneakers members can go to any participating gym facility in the US.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

You will, most likely, only find gym chains in bigger cities if that's where you plan to travel.  We always stayed away from big cities.  You may want to try hiking, biking, using smaller equipment at your RV or in clubhouses as you travel.  I believe that's what most RVers do rather than relying on chains.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

You will, most likely, only find gym chains in bigger cities if that's where you plan to travel.  We always stayed away from big cities.  You may want to try hiking, biking, using smaller equipment at your RV or in clubhouses as you travel.  I believe that's what most RVers do rather than relying on chains.

Our experience is much the same. None of the insurance plans that we have had ever paid for "Silver Sneakers" programs, which we would not have paid extra to get. Most of the people who we know in the RV community are more active than the average person of their same age. For most of us it is a lifestyle that encourages physical activity with hiking, biking, and many other types of activity being a part of seeing and experiencing new areas of the country.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I carried stretch bands in our RVs. They give you a decent strength workout when used well and take little space or weight when stored. Geocaching is a hobby that will get you out and moving in all types of terrain. Hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. will also give you a good workout if you do them more than leisurely and they will help keep you flexible even if you only do them leisurely. Of course, yoga is great for staying flexible and can be done inside most RVs or outside if you prefer. I also know people who do poi spinning to keep in shape. In the RV lifestyle there are lots of ways to not need a gym membership.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

25 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

None of the insurance plans that we have had ever paid for "Silver Sneakers" programs,

We don't have anything fancy.  Our Plan F supplemental plans through Humana have this benefit.  Not all insurance companies provide it.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I have not heard of the "Silver Sneakers" or the "Active & Fit" program.  I will go and look those up on the internet and find out more about them.  I do know many other FTers have recommended Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness.  I do not belong to either of those yet it is an option.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF

6 hours ago, StraitRVing said:

I have not heard of the "Silver Sneakers" or the "Active & Fit" program.

Here's a link:  Silver Sneakers

And FWIW, it's not limited to big cities.  Our primary participation is with with our local club in Rockport TX.  Not big city by any definition.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

6 hours ago, StraitRVing said:

I have not heard of the "Silver Sneakers" or the "Active & Fit" program.  I will go and look those up on the internet and find out more about them.  I do know many other FTers have recommended Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness.  I do not belong to either of those yet it is an option.  

We are full-timers but tend to stay in more rural areas, so big national chains like Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness don't work for us.  We have been able to find gyms in pretty much every town we've been near, but they are usually small, locally owned gyms.  We have joined a few YMCA's across the country, either as monthly members, or sometimes multi-month if we are volunteering for a longer term. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

When I think of a 'gym' I think of machines, if that's what the OP is looking for.  Otherwise, there are usually 'exercise' classes given throughout any size community.  Silver Sneakers doesn't utilized machines, does it?  They do use hand weights and floor balls.

Full-timed for 16 Years

I think that the Silver Sneakers program gives you access to a large group of gyms and health clubs. What equipment you use is up to you.

From their site: Membership includes access to every participating gym and fitness center in the network. That’s a membership at more than 16,000 locations. We also offer fitness classes for all abilities led by our SilverSneakers trained instructors at gyms and other locations. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

57 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Silver Sneakers doesn't utilized machines, does it?  They do use hand weights and floor balls.

I'm not sure what makes you think this?  Yes, there are Silver Sneakers classes that probably use hand weights and floor balls, but we have full access to the facility and usually use the elliptical machines and treadmills.  Organized exercise classes don't appeal to us.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Howdy!

I use Silver Sneakers. You can pretty much choose what type of workout you want. The last place we stayed was in the Shipshewana, IN. I checked the Silver Sneakers map to see what was closest to where we where staying. Several location came up just Ike here in Livingston Tx where we are now. They’ll give you what type of amenities each location offers cardiovascular equipment, resistance trading equipment, training, aerobic classes etc... They also ofer great workout videos online for those occasions you can get to or find a location near you.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I was under the impression Silver Sneakers was only for us older folks so I went looking for confirmation of that. Here's what I found at https://www.silversneakers.com/help/, "All SilverSneakers classes are designed by experts in older adult fitness and taught by credentialed fitness professionals. SilverSneakers classes are created for adults of all ages, fitness levels and abilities. Modifications are offered and chairs are available in certain classes."

Your insurance company does have to offer the program as a benefit, though.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, docj said:

I'm not sure what makes you think this?  Yes, there are Silver Sneakers classes that probably use hand weights and floor balls, but we have full access to the facility and usually use the elliptical machines and treadmills.  Organized exercise classes don't appeal to us.

This is where I got the idea of it being 'exercise classes'.  That's why I asked the question.  I didn't delve into the web site.... just glanced at the classes.

https://www.silversneakers.com/learn/classes/

Full-timed for 16 Years

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

All SilverSneakers classes are designed by experts in older adult fitness and taught by credentialed fitness professionals.

I repeat "nothing about Silver Sneakers requires you to take these courses in order to use the benefit!"

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

6 hours ago, docj said:

I repeat "nothing about Silver Sneakers requires you to take these courses in order to use the benefit!"

I was not concerned with your concern; mine is whether or not there is a minimum age requirement to get Silver Sneakers. The program is, after all, intended for "older" adults.

Linda

6 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Silver Sneakers is associated with some Medicare supplements so the minimum age requirement is 65. 

I was a lot younger than that when I went to some classes at my previous health club. No one at the door asked about my age. Maybe because I was a member of that health club?

Linda

On 9/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, docj said:

Here's a link:  Silver Sneakers

And FWIW, it's not limited to big cities.  Our primary participation is with with our local club in Rockport TX.  Not big city by any definition.

Thank you!  🙂

Well, wife and I do not qualify for Silver Sneakers as we are too young.  I can not find a list of Active & Fit Fitness Centers so that is out.  At least we have the traditional method of exercise such as chasing the grandkids, walking, riding bicycles, swimming, and coffee cup arm curls....LOL

I just tried to look up a nearby location via their website, turns out the nearest location webpage is ran by an insurance company: Tivity Health, Inc. I sure don't need another insurance company with my personal data.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, sandsys said:

I was a lot younger than that when I went to some classes at my previous health club. No one at the door asked about my age. Maybe because I was a member of that health club?

Linda

I think that the Silver Sneakers program exists primarily to give qualifying people access to a large network of gyms and health clubs. And apparently the program also endorses some particular exercise classes.  I imagine it is up to the individual provider of the classes to restrict (or more likely not) access to those classes with regard to their "regular" members. Most clubs that we've been associated with offer a wide variety of "affiliated" classes like PTX, Zumba, etc. and I suppose that Silver Sneakers would fall into that category. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 5 months later...