SnowGypsy

Can I Pet Your Dog (s)?

So the complaint is someone asking to pet your Dog?  Wow....I can understand being uptight about Kids and/or adults suddenly reaching down to Pet an animal BUT asking first is an issue?  Just my take, I'm an animal Lover and dogs are a big part of our lives. So, Yes, when I see a person walking a Dog that is passing close to me, I will ask before I reach, if its OK to pet there Doggie!  I know well that some dogs are nervous and can get excited causing a negative contact(I have a dog such as that) that I'm very careful with.  Just the same, I would always prefer to be asked rather than Not!!! IMHO

We had a chocolate lab. she was was not the type to bite but she did not like people rushing up on  her. So we put a yellow bandana on her. It doesn't have to be a bandana as long as it is yellow. This means approach with caution. I didn't want anything to ruin her camping/rving trip, but I didn't mind other people enjoying her either. The older she got the more crankier she got. It never hurts to take precautions.

I spend a lot of time around dogs, dog people, and dog rescues/advocates.  I'm 54.  I've never once heard anyone mention a yellow thing as any kind of sign for a dog.  People put all sorts of colors on their dogs in all sorts of ways.  I don't think anyone has ever considered it a signal.

I just Googled and only found this one article.  I don't think anyone knows about this.  I do know people buy collars and leashes as a fashion accessory and nothing more.  I would never rely on looking at the color and guessing what it meant.  That's ridiculous.

https://www.petsplusus.com/pet-information/lifestyle/meaning-behind-colour-coded-dog-leashes-and-collars

On 11/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, packnrat said:

no.

as in keep your dog away from my tires. and i never have liked a dog licking my face.

but then maybe i should pee on there tires?

The last time I was in Oregon where they pump your gas for you a young lady came to the drivers side window and I gave her my credit car and my little mini schnauzer jumps in my lap and the lady let my dog lick her in the face and I told my dog don't lick her and the girl said thats ok and I said no cause she just licked her butt..