Smart Car Fan

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

The fan I used is Flex-A-Lite 394 S-Blade 14" .  

You have to remove both fenders and the front panel.  There are YouTube videos describing how to remove them. It was pretty easy but helps if you have someone assist because panels are a bit long to single hand.

See this post for some additional details:

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

1 hour ago, Jim & Wilma said:

The fan I used is Flex-A-Lite 394 S-Blade 14" .  

You have to remove both fenders and the front panel.  There are YouTube videos describing how to remove them. It was pretty easy but helps if you have someone assist because panels are a bit long to single hand.

See this post for some additional details:

Awesome!  Thanks Jim

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim I do not have the numbers from the fan. However, it was bought at O' Reilys auto parts and is a 12" fan they also have 10" fans but I went with the big one. The front end absolutely has to come off. Look up the directions online. It is not hard but a second person to help lift it off certainly helps. I removed the front end the first time in 45 minutes but I work slow and read directions. The second time it only took about 20 minutes because I knew what to do.

Next tips. Do not cut off the plug from the original fan connection. If for some reason the job has to be done by a shop it is much easier to connect.

Also be VERY careful where you drill holes for the bracket you build to hold the fan. There are lines running through the frame in places you would never guess. And when you hit one the shop will have to replace the evaporator also. Don't ask how I know this.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Also be VERY careful where you drill holes for the bracket you build to hold the fan. There are lines running through the frame in places you would never guess. And when you hit one the shop will have to replace the evaporator also. Don't ask how I know this.

That sounds like there's a bill to prove that you learned all about it.  Ouch.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Does anyone have a part number for the aftermarket fan for the front radiator on the gen 2 Smarts?  And does the front clip need to be removed to install it or can it be done thru the access panel?

It's fairly easy to get the front stuff out of the way.  While you're in there, it's a good time to upgrade the headlight projectors and polish the lenses/replace the housings--most of the same stuff has to come off.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

If you are coming to Hutch it could become a project. I know at least one bad spot to drill a hole.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

22 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

If you are coming to Hutch it could become a project. I know at least one bad spot to drill a hole.

How many volunteer Smarts do we need to find the rest of the bad spots to drill?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

On 10/5/2019 at 1:52 PM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Not going to make it.... that 4 letter word that starts with W has a grip on us this year.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 10/6/2019 at 3:30 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Not going to make it.... that 4 letter word that starts with W has a grip on us this year.

Wimp?  Wuss?  .....   😁🤣😉

Too bad.  Take care and don't w... too hard.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update-

Until now we haven't needed any AC, but we are now in the Phoenix-Chandler-Mesa area, or actually just south in Maricopa/Casa Grande and it is a bit warm still, especially with that huge front windshield.  So I have the fan, and I've had the front end off before to install a Blue Ox tow bar, but above Brad mentions not cutting the plug off from the original fan to wire to the replacement.  

So how has everyone wired the fan in?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, as I recall, I reached in as far as I could and cut the cable.  I abandoned the old fan and remaining cable in place. I spliced an additional length of cable to reach the new fan.  

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Like the guys said just cut into the existing fan wiring but leave the plug in place so it can still be used if necessary. And when mounting the fan use short screws.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

13 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jim, cut between the fan and the plug. You just need to make sure you don't cut off the harness side of the plug. By cutting the wires on the fan side and making the connections, a factory fan can still be used.

13 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Jim, as I recall, I reached in as far as I could and cut the cable.  I abandoned the old fan and remaining cable in place. I spliced an additional length of cable to reach the new fan.  

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Like the guys said just cut into the existing fan wiring but leave the plug in place so it can still be used if necessary. And when mounting the fan use short screws.

Brad

Got it!

Thanks!  When I put the tow bar apparatus on, I didn't look to see how long the pigtail on the fan was.  We were in a little bit of a rush.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins