docj

Sous vide cooking while in transit

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Ohhhh.... sous vide means food cooked in warm water but not stewed and not on the manifold of the Cummins...

Brings back memories.  When we did a lot of 4-wheeling with the Jeep we always cooked our lunch on the manifold.  Others looked envious when we had a hot meal and they had cold sandwiches!

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Stews and chilis are best done in a crockpot.

Or a thermal cooker, as noted above. 

The nice thing about a thermal cooker is that it doesn't need electricity, so it's great for boondockers like us.  A thermal cooker isn't as versatile as a crockpot, however, because as I noted above, you have to cook items with enough liquid that the contents can be boiled a couple of minutes.  So it does a great job on beans, stews, soups, and the like.

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

Stews and chilis are best done in a crockpot. Sous Vide is best for things that have individual pieces--like meats. It's important that the water surrounds all pieces so I'd be worried that stews might not cook in the middle.

I did sous vide a whole chicken one time just to see what it was like.  In order to it and avoid the food safety issue you raised, the instructions are to fill the entire chicken cavity with broth.  Essentially, you have a bag of broth and chicken immersed in the sous vide bath.  It does result in a chicken that falls off the bone which is helpful if, for example, you want to make chicken salad.

However, this approach does demonstrate that using sous vide for a stew shouldn't be a health hazard.  The liquid in the bag equilibrates with the water in the cooking bath so everything cooks just fine.

This discussion caught my curiosity so I did some additional searching.  Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours.  Sounds like a great way to make Monday's dinner on Sunday!  

4 hours ago, docj said:

Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours. 

It takes an hour of prep before you put in in the sous vide?!!! Not my style, thanks.

Linda

docj; that sounds like a good beef stew. going to try it. What is the difference of a prep before and a finishing step after sous vide? Unless we are having boiled beef, plain.

10 minutes ago, Sehc said:

docj; that sounds like a good beef stew. going to try it. What is the difference of a prep before and a finishing step after sous vide? Unless we are having boiled beef, plain.

Totally agree.  We use the sous vide because it produces excellent results, not because it saves time.  For example, I cook pork ribs for ~24 hours in the sous vide because they come out "falling off the bone tender and moist" every time, not because it saves me on cooking time.

2 hours ago, docj said:

Totally agree.  We use the sous vide because it produces excellent results, not because it saves time.  For example, I cook pork ribs for ~24 hours in the sous vide because they come out "falling off the bone tender and moist" every time, not because it saves me on cooking time.

That sounds great! Is there a way to do a rub with that process to get a nice "bark" on the ribs? I've made delicious ribs on the grill, but they're so time consuming that's it's almost not worth it. Thanks, Jay

On 9/21/2019 at 8:50 AM, SnowGypsy said:

I have no use for a microwave, so look for alternatives. 

Actually, if you're looking for alternatives to a microwave, it sounds like you do have a use for a microwave.  😁

42 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

That sounds great! Is there a way to do a rub with that process to get a nice "bark" on the ribs? I've made delicious ribs on the grill, but they're so time consuming that's it's almost not worth it. Thanks, Jay

I usually put rib rub on the meat before it goes into the bag.  Once you have finished cooking you could sear the racks under a broiler or on a grill.  Quite honestly, we usually eat them just the way they come out of the bag.  They are so moist and tender they don't need anything else IMO.

I used to use a slow cook oven recipe for ribs, but the sous vide results are more consistent and require absolutely no "fiddling" with anything.

29 minutes ago, docj said:

I usually put rib rub on the meat before it goes into the bag.  Once you have finished cooking you could sear the racks under a broiler or on a grill.  Quite honestly, we usually eat them just the way they come out of the bag.  They are so moist and tender they don't need anything else IMO.

I used to use a slow cook oven recipe for ribs, but the sous vide results are more consistent and require absolutely no "fiddling" with anything.

Thanks, Joel. That sounds really easy and delicious.... And a good reason to buy one of those gadgets. Hopefully I'll have time soon to try it out. Jay

19 hours ago, docj said:

Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours.  Sounds like a great way to make Monday's dinner on Sunday!  

In reading the "comments" below this 'long recipe' some folks noted that the beef was tough.  I'll be interested in your take after making this and what kind of beef you used.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/beef-bourguignon

5 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

In reading the "comments" below this 'long recipe' some folks noted that the beef was tough.  I'll be interested in your take after making this and what kind of beef you used.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/beef-bourguignon

I think that will depend heavily on what kind of meat you start with and how long you cook it. Several times we've cooked chuck roast in the sous vide (~24 hours) and it comes out so tender that you could tell your guests that it was prime rib and might well be able to fool quite a few of them. I think a lot of people use the shortest possible safe cooking time for their sous vide meals without considering that cooking a bit longer will make the final result more tender.

For example, tonight I'm going to cook a ~1 pound pork tenderloin.  It would probably be safe to eat after ~2 hours, but I will cook it at least 3 to get the tenderness we like.

50 minutes ago, docj said:

I think that will depend heavily on what kind of meat you start with and how long you cook it. Several times we've cooked chuck roast in the sous vide (~24 hours) and it comes out so tender that you could tell your guests that it was prime rib and might well be able to fool quite a few of them. I think a lot of people use the shortest possible safe cooking time for their sous vide meals without considering that cooking a bit longer will make the final result more tender.

For example, tonight I'm going to cook a ~1 pound pork tenderloin.  It would probably be safe to eat after ~2 hours, but I will cook it at least 3 to get the tenderness we like.

Okay, that does it! I'm eating at your place!