Sous vide cooking while in transit

docj

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Ohhhh.... sous vide means food cooked in warm water but not stewed and not on the manifold of the Cummins...

Brings back memories.  When we did a lot of 4-wheeling with the Jeep we always cooked our lunch on the manifold.  Others looked envious when we had a hot meal and they had cold sandwiches!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Stews and chilis are best done in a crockpot.

Or a thermal cooker, as noted above. 

The nice thing about a thermal cooker is that it doesn't need electricity, so it's great for boondockers like us.  A thermal cooker isn't as versatile as a crockpot, however, because as I noted above, you have to cook items with enough liquid that the contents can be boiled a couple of minutes.  So it does a great job on beans, stews, soups, and the like.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

Stews and chilis are best done in a crockpot. Sous Vide is best for things that have individual pieces--like meats. It's important that the water surrounds all pieces so I'd be worried that stews might not cook in the middle.

I did sous vide a whole chicken one time just to see what it was like.  In order to it and avoid the food safety issue you raised, the instructions are to fill the entire chicken cavity with broth.  Essentially, you have a bag of broth and chicken immersed in the sous vide bath.  It does result in a chicken that falls off the bone which is helpful if, for example, you want to make chicken salad.

However, this approach does demonstrate that using sous vide for a stew shouldn't be a health hazard.  The liquid in the bag equilibrates with the water in the cooking bath so everything cooks just fine.

This discussion caught my curiosity so I did some additional searching.  Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours.  Sounds like a great way to make Monday's dinner on Sunday!  

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

4 hours ago, docj said:

Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours. 

It takes an hour of prep before you put in in the sous vide?!!! Not my style, thanks.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 minutes ago, Sehc said:

docj; that sounds like a good beef stew. going to try it. What is the difference of a prep before and a finishing step after sous vide? Unless we are having boiled beef, plain.

Totally agree.  We use the sous vide because it produces excellent results, not because it saves time.  For example, I cook pork ribs for ~24 hours in the sous vide because they come out "falling off the bone tender and moist" every time, not because it saves me on cooking time.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, docj said:

Totally agree.  We use the sous vide because it produces excellent results, not because it saves time.  For example, I cook pork ribs for ~24 hours in the sous vide because they come out "falling off the bone tender and moist" every time, not because it saves me on cooking time.

That sounds great! Is there a way to do a rub with that process to get a nice "bark" on the ribs? I've made delicious ribs on the grill, but they're so time consuming that's it's almost not worth it. Thanks, Jay

42 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

That sounds great! Is there a way to do a rub with that process to get a nice "bark" on the ribs? I've made delicious ribs on the grill, but they're so time consuming that's it's almost not worth it. Thanks, Jay

I usually put rib rub on the meat before it goes into the bag.  Once you have finished cooking you could sear the racks under a broiler or on a grill.  Quite honestly, we usually eat them just the way they come out of the bag.  They are so moist and tender they don't need anything else IMO.

I used to use a slow cook oven recipe for ribs, but the sous vide results are more consistent and require absolutely no "fiddling" with anything.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

It just doesn't seem to offer the kind of versatility that I would be looking for, but I am sure a good option for some.  I'm not real crazy about sticking something electric into a big tub of water.  This article explores the pros and cons:  https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/tag/sous-vide-pros-and-cons/

Cathy

29 minutes ago, docj said:

I usually put rib rub on the meat before it goes into the bag.  Once you have finished cooking you could sear the racks under a broiler or on a grill.  Quite honestly, we usually eat them just the way they come out of the bag.  They are so moist and tender they don't need anything else IMO.

I used to use a slow cook oven recipe for ribs, but the sous vide results are more consistent and require absolutely no "fiddling" with anything.

Thanks, Joel. That sounds really easy and delicious.... And a good reason to buy one of those gadgets. Hopefully I'll have time soon to try it out. Jay

19 hours ago, docj said:

Here's a recipe for a stew, a Beef Bourguignonne sous vide, where you saute and brown the ingredients beforehand then everything goes into a sous vide bag for 16-24 hours.  Sounds like a great way to make Monday's dinner on Sunday!  

In reading the "comments" below this 'long recipe' some folks noted that the beef was tough.  I'll be interested in your take after making this and what kind of beef you used.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/beef-bourguignon

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

In reading the "comments" below this 'long recipe' some folks noted that the beef was tough.  I'll be interested in your take after making this and what kind of beef you used.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/beef-bourguignon

I think that will depend heavily on what kind of meat you start with and how long you cook it. Several times we've cooked chuck roast in the sous vide (~24 hours) and it comes out so tender that you could tell your guests that it was prime rib and might well be able to fool quite a few of them. I think a lot of people use the shortest possible safe cooking time for their sous vide meals without considering that cooking a bit longer will make the final result more tender.

For example, tonight I'm going to cook a ~1 pound pork tenderloin.  It would probably be safe to eat after ~2 hours, but I will cook it at least 3 to get the tenderness we like.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

50 minutes ago, docj said:

I think that will depend heavily on what kind of meat you start with and how long you cook it. Several times we've cooked chuck roast in the sous vide (~24 hours) and it comes out so tender that you could tell your guests that it was prime rib and might well be able to fool quite a few of them. I think a lot of people use the shortest possible safe cooking time for their sous vide meals without considering that cooking a bit longer will make the final result more tender.

For example, tonight I'm going to cook a ~1 pound pork tenderloin.  It would probably be safe to eat after ~2 hours, but I will cook it at least 3 to get the tenderness we like.

Okay, that does it! I'm eating at your place!

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 8:14 AM, docj said:

The steak doesn't "come out of the water."  The steak is sealed in a bag when it is in the water.  We sear it on a grill or, more frequently, in a frying pan to cause the fat to caramelize and to raise the serving temperature.

It's highly likely that you have eaten sous vide cooked chicken and steaks at quite a few restaurants without knowing it.  The technique was invented by the restaurant industry more than 25 years ago.  How do you think that large chain restaurants can offer so many different chicken dishes?  The chicken breasts are sitting in a sous vide bath waiting for someone to order them.  When ordered they are put in the appropriate sauce and served to the diner.

I read all the messages in this topic, but I still can’t understand what are you talking about. I correctly understood that you are discussing a certain method of cooking meat? Perhaps someone has a photo of the cooking process or a link to a step-by-step recipe? I'm already too interested to give it up.

6 hours ago, evanssophiya said:

Perhaps someone has a photo of the cooking process or a link to a step-by-step recipe? I'm already too interested to give it up.

This is considered the "bible" of sous vide cooking: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador