Battery

dell

So I replaced the battery on the camper and the detector is still going off.  I checked the battery and it is losing charge, which makes the detector go off again.  I plugged in the camper which charged the battery back up and the detector quit going off.  Any suggestions?

Are you sure the charger is actually charging the battery?  Could be the converter is not charging the battery but is supplying 12vdc when on shore power and this is why the detector is acting the way it is.  What size battery bank do you have?  How long after disconnecting from shore power does the detector go off?  What else may you be running off of your battery system?   RV fridge, lights, inverter, etc?

Edited by DesertMiner

There is nothing else running off the battery when it is sitting in my driveway, not in use.  I just replaced the battery last weekend since the other one was dead.  The battery runs down within a couple of days if I don't plug in the camper.  I put the same size battery in it that it came with.  I don't know what  you mean by battery bank.

My house batteries were only two years old yet they were going bad.   Fridge began to do weird things, LP/CO detector developed a mind of its own, and a few other issues.  I checked water levels and added distilled water as needed.  More checks during the summer when the heat and humidity were high.  I didn't think it was the batteries due to them only being two years old.  Voltage checks showed one battery was around 12.04Vdc and the other at 11.98Vdc.  Took the batteries and had them tested and found out that they were weak and each has a cell that was going bad.  Replaced them and all the problems are now gone.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF